Diesel Tuner

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
On my past 2005 E350 V10 and now my current 2001 E350 PSD I have and most definitely impressed with 5 Star Tuning.
I would recommend without hesitation.

And I wasn't happy with the service or results from DP Tuning. I basically gave away that stuff...

cjken

Explorer
What about earlier PSD's?
TS chip?
Many of the chips seem to focus on the 99 and up 7.3's

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
IIRC the computers were changed at 1999.5 and had better response for tuning. But I could be wrong...

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Mine's a 96 and I went with a 6 position chip from Tony Wildman. He set it up specifically for the van (based on ECU#, exhaust, intake, and manual tranny). It's been great, no issues, more torque/power when you want it, etc.

http://tonywildmanchip.com/
http://www.xpeditionoutfitters.com/Tony-Wildman-Chip_p_207.html

You can see the little dial here:

DSC_0102_zps38274b94.jpg

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Tony Wildman is a 7.3 PSD legend. Not a van, but very very happy with his tunes in my 02 7.3 CC DRW. If you have an automatic transmission there's no one I'd trust more.

ert01

Adventurer
I have a TS in my 02 7.3
I bought it on a Black Friday sale for a killer price so it was a no-brainer, but if I were to pay full price I think I would go with a DP. Just based off things I've read online... No firsthand experience with one.

djbonsu

Adventurer
I have had decent results with my F5 chip that has 80 Econ / 80 tow / high idle tunes from Jody at dp tuner. I definitely get a lot more black smoke and egts can climb pretty quickly if I get into the throttle good but I'm hoping the dp tuner UJOR van tunes help the egts and maybe squeeze a bit more power if needed. Tracy shifts become firmer as well. Nonetheless I'm happy with the results this far.

dddonkey

Adventurer
Back in the day my dad had a F-350 with the 7.3 in it and put a hyper tech tune in it, and that thing ran great. It is not the "best" tune out there (compared to custome tunes) but worked very nice and was safe on all the levels for towing. All canned tune are not bad just depends what you are looking for.

calebmogul

I'm happy with my DP tuner, though I havent used another brand to compare it too. I have a 2003 e350 7.3 w33's & 4" UJOR lift, 4" exhaust, mag tech tranny pan. I did 80econ mtn and it's awesome for living at altitude and driving passes. Nice to switch to regular 80econ for lower elevation I sent my Original F5 back to Jody at DP after he did some live tuning with Chris at Ujoint. The new UJOR tune is far superior to the original, as the shifting patterns are way better, especially around 40mph or 1300-1600 RPM. If you do get a tuner, I would also suggest monitoring your transmission temp in addition to EGTs. High idle is nice to have for cold mornings or running accessories. don't notice a hell of a difference with drive-thru setting, they still can't hear me unless I'm yelling. Let's face it, the 7.3 van is a loud beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles