Diesel Phasing Out?

Lovetheworld

Ah here in Europe this is already common. Lots of cities have these zones. Sometimes aimed specifically at business or private, but lots of times just in general.
You just get a ticket based on your license plate passing the camera at entrance of the zones.

Give it some time and you will have it too.
In European cities it is not about pickup trucks, it is about businesses (vans and bigger) and taxis.
I am very glad the days of idling diesel taxis are over in the cities. Of course not every city yet.

RV registration still gives you a way out a lot of times, but not always.

Give it a few years and it will be the same in many US cities.
Countryside however will probably be fine for years to come, which makes sense.

Edit: I still have a diesel 4x4 campervan, and it is still not a problem to go on holidays. Just not in the cities.
Depreciation of diesel 4x4s is already going on for a while. However for an old diesel the export market possibilities is perhaps more important for determining the price.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

Ah here in Europe this is already common.
Give it a few years and it will be the same in many US cities.
It will be a lot more than a few years and I see self driving cars that you order like uber replacing private ownership for the middle class as a bigger threat to individual freedom.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
My county sent some fire engines to California several years ago to help with the massive wild fires. California turned them around at the border due to smog/emissions. Point is if they are willing to do that and let the state burn I wouldn't put anything past them.

I see high taxes on diesel and limited access in California. My 5 year plan still involves buying and outfitting a diesel.

What I'm hoping to see is professional truckers taking a stand on this. Refuse to enter California, period. And see how long the ban lasts. How many 18 wheelers are NOT powered by diesel? I'm thinking the railroads would support this as I understand their locomotives are also now under attack from the Ban Fossil Fuels crowd.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to have a truck like my Dodge/Cummins dually with a powerplant that can pull like a freight train and travel 600 miles on a fillup, all without the Cummins engine noise. And I'd love a side by side that was totally silent - only noise would be the sound of the tires on dirt and yet run 14 hours without fueling. But such vehicles are NOT available yet.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Here in Europe trucks (what you would call semis) need to be of a certain Euro emission classification to enter the cities. So still trucks, just newer ones.

Electric trucks arent really a thing yet, but that doesnt stopt any legislation to ban older trucks.

But I don't know how US semi trucks are evolved over the years and have these kind of classification levels.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My county sent some fire engines to California several years ago to help with the massive wild fires. California turned them around at the border due to smog/emissions. Point is if they are willing to do that and let the state burn I wouldn't put anything past them.

I see high taxes on diesel and limited access in California. My 5 year plan still involves buying and outfitting a diesel.
This is the state that's emptying the prisons and just passed SB 9 and 10 which allows fourplexes in single family neighborhoods.. Investors come along and cash out the homeowner,level the place and depending on lot size can build two homes side by side with granny flats in the front and back. Four foot easements too. In addition they can pave the front yard for parking. It's a war on the privileged people of all colors who worked,saved their money and bought a house. With the cost of building the units will not be affordable. Unicorn power here. I wouldn't put anything past them.

Is that just for Commercial, or does it apply to Private Owners too.
Most places Commercial is far more restrictive but I was replying to a guy with an RV.

Both. SB210, specifically, applies to any vehicle over 14k GVWR. The RV industry, and RV owners, is/are certainly going to take a big hit if the bill doesn't get reversed.

billiebob

I would think they would excessively tax it over banning it but I could be wrong. At least in the next 10-15 years. They charge you $50 and give you a tag to hang from your mirror with you get there. Or more likely they add even more tax to diesel at the pump.
No, we have moved past collecting tax, the movement today is about getting rid of the things bad for your health....... well except for things like cigarettes lol, tax the heck out of those, the buyers are all gonna die anyway. Altho the buying, selling of carbon credits make as much sense as investing with Bernie Maidoff.

billiebob

Both. SB210, specifically, applies to any vehicle over 14k GVWR. The RV industry, and RV owners, is/are certainly going to take a big hit if the bill doesn't get reversed.
I'll bet it is here to stay, other states and Canada will follow. But not like it should be a surprise, this has been building since 1969.

billiebob

What I'm hoping to see is professional truckers taking a stand on this. Refuse to enter California, period. And see how long the ban lasts. How many 18 wheelers are NOT powered by diesel?
India did this 10 years ago, total ban on diesel in many cities with air quality problems. The solution was conversion of old diesels to Natural Gas. Simple, kinda cheap, definitely cleaner. If India with 4 times our population can do it in a year or two, We can do it too once the idiots who fight every change in status quo are shut down.

These were all tiny diesels, now they are all CNG.

Untitled 30.jpg

So if you own a diesel RV, ya might have to convert to compressed natural gas.
They run better, quieter and zero smell. Even cheaper to run since filtering diesel fuel is a major expense and CNG is clean.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles