Diesel Phasing Out?

Alright this my first forum discussion so forgive me if I missed this topic somewhere else. I recently purchased a 2002 4x4 F550 (old hotshot buggy). It's the dream rig! 7.3L with low miles and a stout aluminum box on the back. I was beyond excited to have a rig that I can invest my time and money into for a new home on wheels.

Well....

I started to see recently there is more and more talk about phasing diesels out and it appears to be happening sooner than I thought. Califonia has lead the fight, already phasing commercial diesels that do not have filtration systems or a 2010 or newer power plant. There is now talk to have the same rules for RVs in starting 2023. I'm an Oregon resident and these regulations haven't made it north yet but there is talk about restricting old diesels in the next 5-10 years.

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the future and if it's worth investing money into diesel rigs anymore?

Oregon: https://oeconline.org/diesel/
California Diesel RV: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/new-laws-california-trouble-for-diesel-rv-owners/

Porkchopexpress

I don't see how California can ban out of state leisure travelers driving older diesels.

Not sure if this applies but:

Also, how would they enforce it? Probable cause to check your engine for illegal fuel type?

Last edited:

blacklbzbeauty

Interesting question. Not sure anyone can answer with any certainty what will happen in the future. Seems like whatever starts in California regarding vehicle emissions eventually makes it to DC. Much depends on which party is in control when this happens. If I lived in Oregon I would be concerned as Salem seems to be following Sacramento's lead.
That being said if you are not in a metro county things should be ok for at least 10 years.

Where stopping people and checking for a fuel type wouldn’t happen they could stop selling diesel fuel in the state unless you are a commercial vehicle and therefore make it unviable to travel there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

I think mostof the diesel restrictions are on new units, I'll guess old diesels will continue to be licensed. That said it is possible major cities will restrict access to the city core where the air quality is bad for diesel engines. This has been a trend in Europe over the past 10 years. And some Asian and Indian cities have banned diesels too.

But I'm not sure there is a need for concern in the smaller towns and remote locations where air quality is more affected by forest fires than diesel particulate. That said, if you let the registration lapse you might be unsble to renew it. Texas has already done this for kit cars like dune buggies.

I think mostof the diesel restrictions are on new units, I'll guess old diesels will continue to be licensed. That said it is possible major cities will restrict access to the city core where the air quality is bad for diesel engines. This has been a trend in Europe over the past 10 years. And some Asian and Indian cities have banned diesels too.

But I'm not sure there is a need for concern in the smaller towns and remote locations where air quality is more affected by forest fires than diesel particulate. That said, if you let the registration lapse you might be unsble to renew it. Texas has already done this for kit cars like dune buggies.

In CA, the restrictions also apply to older vehicles. Many of the older already-registered commercial diesels are now illegal in CA.

billiebob

In CA, the restrictions also apply to older vehicles. Many of the older already-registered commercial diesels are now illegal in CA.
Is that just for Commercial, or does it apply to Private Owners too.
Most places Commercial is far more restrictive but I was replying to a guy with an RV.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Register it as a RV and you should be good for decades. The baby boomers and RV industry have big pockets to lobby against anti diesel laws.
The RV industry is small potatoes in the world of transportation. Baby boomers aren't organized to really do much here either.

If commercial OTR transit organizations weren't able to stop the (now) existing CARB/CA diesel restrictions, do you really think RV or some random person can?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
My county sent some fire engines to California several years ago to help with the massive wild fires. California turned them around at the border due to smog/emissions. Point is if they are willing to do that and let the state burn I wouldn't put anything past them.

I see high taxes on diesel and limited access in California. My 5 year plan still involves buying and outfitting a diesel.

tacollie

Glamper
I would think they would excessively tax it over banning it but I could be wrong. At least in the next 10-15 years. They charge you $50 and give you a tag to hang from your mirror with you get there. Or more likely they add even more tax to diesel at the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles