Diesel or Gas?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Even though this past summer I had to replace my 7.3 with another motor... I still am in love with turbo diesels.
I've had the V10 with the 5r110 trans and thought very highly of it and towed my 7500lb TT with the same ease as my 7.3 BUT just didn't have that... (loss of words)
There's ups and downs for both, no doubt but I'll choose a turbo diesel.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Plus, and this is silly, there is just something about the idle of a diesel that seems right and like it is ready to go, and go forever -

ga ga ga ga ga ga ga

BobbyJones

Observer
I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. It seems I put this in the right place.

The root of my question was something that 86scotty narrowed in on with
I agree completely except for the 'gas just as reliable as diesel statement'. The fact that you have to do a lot to the diesels to keep them reliable negates the definition of reliability to me. 5.4s and v10s don't need anything at all to keep on running....

And to get it out there, I'm looking for transportation, not a new hobby. (no offense guys. again, to each their own) I don't use a vehicle on a daily basis. I won't be towing nor heavy loads. More lightweight bulky cargo- think secure storage for bicycles and surfboards and the occasional motorcycle. Not high yearly mileage, but long highway stretches at a time and a need for offroad basecamp once there along with urban camping. It's nothing a modern import SUV or Wagon realistically can't handle but the thought of cramming gear in for security then playing the unpacking game for livability isn't attractive at all. For reference, Im used to bicycle touring and backpacking so anything is going to be a comfort upgrade.

For me, it looks like unless the right one falls in my lap the diesel premium in both upfront cost and maintenance just wouldn't be worth it. I'll just have to remember that when I'm getting 15-17 mpg!

Thanks Again Everyone!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I was able to achieve 17mpg in my tuned 05 V10 (empty) if I stayed under 60mph and use the lightest touch to the pedal... otherwise is was an avg of 15.

BobbyJones

Observer
15-17 MPG in what?

I know it's been mostly Ford talk so far, but personally I lean towards Chevrolet. First hand discussions with Silverado owners puts realistic MPG in that range. And from what I've been reading on both Express AWD and Quigley conversions it looks about the same. All with the 5.3L.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My Ford can hit 19 highway if I work at it, 17 with the cruise set on 65, and 14 in town. 4.9L, C6, 3:08, 225/75-16. 19 mpg hwy was with jsut over 1k lbs of cargo, have never tried to max out mpg empty.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
15-17 seems doable for some gassers... although I seem to
Remember 10-13ish for a lot of V10 rigs. I'd have a hard time swallowing that.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that for a 200 mile round trip on the highway (in the snow) mostly around 50-55, I managed 22 mpg (US)... for a 9k rig, that seems pretty darn good. Likely close to double what a similar gasser would get. Not enough to offset a hefty Diesel inflated price. So gasser likely makes sends... but there is a certain fun factor in driving a 9k diesel rig that'll beat a 500 hp 460 crewcab pickup across the intersection... and that's in stock form for the Diesel. It's no slouch... performance and economy in one package, almost seems too good to be true.

caideN

There's always one guy that will claim his diesel gets 20+ mpg. Going 50-55 for 2 miles and getting that mpg doesn't count. My V10 gets 30 mpg going down hill on the interstate too.

I had a cummins diesel and tried all the mods and driving style to achieve people's claims of 20+ mpg. Never got above 18. I guess I could've rounded it up to 20 ;)

Just be aware that tire size can greatly affect the odometer reading which in turn makes the mpg calculations inaccurate.

I'm just being honest here. My V10 gets ~9-12mpg.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Well I guess I'm that one guy who claims I get 20+ mpg in my 7.3 E350...
To be percise when I use cruise control set at no more than 62 mph with my 4.10 gears, with 265/75-16 tires my van regularly gets 21 mpg over the past 2 years,,, even with the previous motor in failing condition.
Hard to believe, I could care less but my wallet sure does appreciate my gentle driving. Usually I can get 600+ miles out of the 35 gallon tank of fuel.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There's always one guy that will claim his diesel gets 20+ mpg. Going 50-55 for 2 miles and getting that mpg doesn't count. My V10 gets 30 mpg going down hill on the interstate too.

I had a cummins diesel and tried all the mods and driving style to achieve people's claims of 20+ mpg. Never got above 18. I guess I could've rounded it up to 20 ;)

Just be aware that tire size can greatly affect the odometer reading which in turn makes the mpg calculations inaccurate.

I'm just being honest here. My V10 gets ~9-12mpg.

And I guess I'm annother you're skeptical of.

200 miles round trip, snowstorm, up and down the Malahat x2 (Victoria-Parksville-Victoria + some), stock tires, Crestline ambulance, 7.3, mostly in the dark, and yes I did round 21.98 actual mpg (US).

I usually get, farting around in town with a whole bunch of 10 minute trips, 20-21 l/100 km (I'll let you do the math) so I can understand your skepticism. I double checked my math, and was pleasantly surprised to find I got almost double the short trip in town mileage out of a 7.3 diesel with 16,000 hrs on it. As far as I know it's stock, it was owned by the Ambulance service for about 13k hrs, and then at least 2 other POs before I bought it with somewhat over 15k hrs.

plutonic

Outsider
It's really odd to me when people buy vehicles with big engines, slam big wheels under them, put tons of weight in them, spending upwards of 30K on them and then being overly concerned with fuel consumption. And driving these things 60 m/h on the highway to save some fuel is just pathetic. Don't start with "being sensible". Being sensible should start with not using a vehicle with a carbon footprint of a size of Texas. Driving should be fun and not about fuel consumption. If fuel efficiency and being a sensible driver is your thing, you're in the wrong club, friend. The Prius Owners Club is down the hall to the left. Somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles