Diesel News: POST HERE

haven

Expedition Leader
Modern diesel pickups carry enough diesel exhaust fluid to operate the emissions control equipment for several thousand miles. The DEF tank on these trucks holds 8 to 10 gallons. Chevrolet hangs the tank outside the frame rail where it's vulnerable to trail obstacles and debris thrown up by the front wheels. Ford places the DEF tank in a similar location if you opt for the larger fuel tank. (I'm not sure where Ram sticks their DEF tank.)

T&A Performance now offers a heavy duty skid plate for the late model Chevrolet diesel. This blog post includes 30 photos showing how vulnerable the DEF tank is, and how to install the skid plate.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/pa...ce-skidplate-for-protecting-a-chevy-def-tank/

doug720

Expedition Leader
I looked at the DEF skid plate link and thought the pictures were showing the skid plate prior to installation...WRONG! That is sad to have that tank hang down that far and making it the low point of the vehicle.

chet6.7

Explorer
One of the things that put me in a Ram was the location of the GM DEF tank.
It is my understanding that the Ram DEF tank is right next to the fuel tank,both fuel fill necks are in the same body opening.
There are a couple of downsides,it is possible to put DEF in the fuel filler neck,just like it is possible to put gas in a diesel.
Another downside is aftermarket large capacity fuel tanks,the last time I looked there were not any for Ram.
GM and Ford large capacity tanks are available from Transfer Flow and Titian.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Modern diesel pickups carry enough diesel exhaust fluid to operate the emissions control equipment for several thousand miles. The DEF tank on these trucks holds 8 to 10 gallons. Chevrolet hangs the tank outside the frame rail where it's vulnerable to trail obstacles and debris thrown up by the front wheels. Ford places the DEF tank in a similar location if you opt for the larger fuel tank. (I'm not sure where Ram sticks their DEF tank.)

The DEF tank on the current, new Ram pickups (not cab & chassis) is only 5.5 gallons, but it's enough depending on fuel usage, I went 7k before needing my first fill. I'd like a slightly bigger DEF tank, but I understand the packaging limitations and challenges.

RAM did a good job putting the DEF tank just forward of the fuel tank on the driver's side, with a nice flat metal plate below it, and has a gauge instead of an idiot/warning light (think Ford now has a DEF gauge too, but at one point did not).

I've never been a modern GM truck fan, too low for me, the body, the frame, and now the DEF tank...that thing is an abomination.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

T&A Performance now offers a heavy duty skid plate for the late model Chevrolet diesel. This blog post includes 30 photos showing how vulnerable the DEF tank is, and how to install the skid plate.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/pa...ce-skidplate-for-protecting-a-chevy-def-tank/

Ram decreased the fuel tank by three gallons and tucks the DEF tank up there.
The aftermarket shield for the GM DEF is a plus but appears to decrease ground clearance even more.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes just set a new Pikes Peak class record for diesel production vehicles with the C250D. This is a European model that will be introduced to USA In 2016 as the C300D 4Matic. The race vehicle had a stock 2.1L four cylinder turbodiesel and 7 speed automatic, which Mercedes claims was in the same state of tune as the production cars.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...50d-sets-diesel-powered-record-at-pikes-peak/

the C-Class has grown in size over the years, to the point that it's no longer a compact class vehicle. Mercedes' new A class with front wheel drive, and the B-Class, which is sold here only as an electric vehicle powered by a Tesla motor, are the new compacts.

haven

Expedition Leader
VW sent hypermiler Wayne Gerdes on an 8000 mile trip that touched all of the lower 48 states. Gerdes drove a standard VW Golf TDI with 2.0L diesel engine. Result: 81+ miles per gallon. This surpasses the 79+ mpg Gerdes recorded on a similar trip in 2013, driving a VW Passat with diesel engine.

Since the Golf is a slightly smaller vehicle, I guess the improvement was to be expected, but it's an impressive result in any case.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/08/vw-golf-tdi-circles-US-less-than-300-dollars-diesel/

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hypermiling is a thing in Europe, too. Two Honda R&D engineers drove a Civic station wagon (a model not imported to USA) on an 8000 mile route through the 24 contiguous countries of Europe. Powered by a 1.6L turbodiesel and 6 speed manual transmission, the Civic averaged 83 mpg (US gallons).

http://www.hybridcars.com/diesel-honda-civic-records-83-52-mpg-through-24-european-countries/

Everyone notice how many practical vehicles are not imported here? I don't think it's always EPA compliance issues. The manufacturers seem to want to load us up on fancy trucks and cars with endless options. Lots of profit in overly equipped vehicles but come on there's a huge market out there for simpler machines.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Square hit on why we have the selection of vehicles we do - Why sell a striped down version when they can sell one loaded and make more profit?

Here is a perfect example - Chrysler Grand Caravan

Chrysler, who makes both the high end Chrysler Town & Country mini van, and the virtually identical, but basic Dodge Grand Caravan, will stop making the Dodge version. The reason? Profit. Chrysler makes more money selling a load T&C version than a GC version. They have a 40% market share of the mini van market currently. By cancelling the GC, and even factoring in losing up to 20% of sales due to the increased price of a T&C, their profits will will be higher.

Reality

I've also wondered why some of the high MPG diesels don't seem to make it to the US. A while back one of the soon to be released manufacturers (Elio motors, IIRC) had wanted to use a tiny diesel in their then-planned 180+ MPG hybrid. They had a perfect motor but California EPA wouldn't approve it (EPA bashing is in a different thread). The explanation on the manufacturer website at the time, and the reason they explained that we can't get some of those cool diesels here, is that California EPA has a particulates-per-gallon-burned standard for diesels. Europe, and everyone else, uses a particulates-per-mile-driven standard for diesels. Your 14 MPG F350 meets EPA because in that 14 miles it's clean enough to meet the standard. The 45 MPG import puts out a bit more particulate each 45 miles than the F350 does in 14 so it fails. The 45 mpg import is much cleaner per mile driven but that's not the standard used by California (and therefore the rest of the country). Makes little sense to me to have that standard, but I'm guessing the big three US pickup truck manufacturers and some oil companies work hard to keep it that way. Selling us giant diesel trucks and fuel for them is profitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles