Diesel injectors

Marine

Adventurer
this is for all the Ford 6.0 owners, how hard are the injectors to do on a excursion. I know on the trucks they recommend pulling the cab, but I can't see it on the excursion. I will admit I don't know a thing bout psd only cummins, 12v and cr. Thanks

Marine

Adventurer
Thanks mate, yea my experience is cummins only, a friend asked me to help (do it for him) just want to see what I'm getting into before I say yes

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks mate, yea my experience is cummins only, a friend asked me to help (do it for him) just want to see what I'm getting into before I say yes

Dam Fraud pieces of junk!:Wow1: Who would ever design something were you have to remove the cab:Wow1::eek: to do work on the motor! I once replaced a serpintine belt in a e450 or whatever they are called. It took me and an aprentice all day, after removing wiring, turbo hoses and junk, and about 3 tons of other crap. NEVER AGAIN will I touch such a heap of carp if you offered me $5000 !!!:ar15::ar15::ar15:

Marine

Adventurer
Dam Fraud pieces of junk!:Wow1: Who would ever design something were you have to remove the cab:Wow1::eek: to do work on the motor! I once replaced a serpintine belt in a e450 or whatever they are called. It took me and an aprentice all day, after removing wiring, turbo hoses and junk, and about 3 tons of other crap. NEVER AGAIN will I touch such a heap of carp if you offered me $5000 !!!:ar15::ar15::ar15:

I think I might have to be sick that day. It really doesn't sound fun. I'm used to my 12 valve enough room to crawl around under the hood, hell my common tail isn't that bad. Ford filled the engine bay up, you are lucky to get your hand in there.

Last edited:

ScottF4444

You don't need to pull the cab to change the injectors on a 6.0l. You do need to (or should) pull the cab to install head studs. When the injectors on my 6.0l went out, I didn't have time to do it so I paid a shop and they charged me 5 hours labor.

Last edited:

gsanders

Observer
No personal experience here, but from what I have read online the other option is to remove the radiator and support and pull the engine forward to access the back two cylinders. I can't confirm nor deny, but that might be the option for the Excursion because I would image the body is very hard to remove. Still a PITA anyway you slice it and one of the main reasons I went with a Dodge instead of a Ford when I boughty mine.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You don't need to pull the cab to change the injectors on a 6.0l. You do need to (or should) pull the cab to install head studs. When the injectors on my 6.0l went out, I didn't have time to do it so I paid a shop and they charged me 5 hours labor.
5 hours labor, I would say get started now! That would be the best 500-700 bucks ever spent.

rpintx1

Observer
this is for all the Ford 6.0 owners, how hard are the injectors to do on a excursion. I know on the trucks they recommend pulling the cab, but I can't see it on the excursion. I will admit I don't know a thing bout psd only cummins, 12v and cr. Thanks

I highly recommend calling Brian at BTS (Brian's Truck Shop 1-870422-3673) and talk to him. He is a wizard with 6.0s and 7.3s. I just got back a couple of weeks ago and what he did to my 7.3 is amazing. I can scare the pants off a new Corvette stop light to stop light. He and his wife drive a 6.0 that rocks. When he works on a 6.0 he doesn't pull the cab. It's quicker and easier for him and his crew (who are also AWESOME) to pull the motor. He doesn't mind phone calls and will give you tips and advice along the way. He is also awesome on recommending injectors and might be cheaper than what stock injectors might cost you. Especially if you might want a sight HP increase. Trust me, call him. Just my .02 cents worth and I usually get change back, but he and his family and shop are awesome. They put up with me wandering around the shop and watching what they were doing the whole time I was there. He also put up with at least 5 phone calls and all my questions. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!!!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm sorry but I'm calling a major BS on your 7.3 scaring the pants off a new vette at the stoplight. Just the power to weight ratio alone, you'd need to be in the 1,000hp range.

Paddy

Adventurer
Pulling the cab sounds scary but if you have a place and way to do the lifting it isn't bad to actually do. I used an overhead hoist in my shop and lifted it up alone. Then you have great access to everything. Even recharged my own AC and it works great.

A pulley system in garage would do it too. But the cab weighs a lot so make sure you are safe.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
As mentioned, you don't have to pull the cab to do injectors. Buy good injectors and do your research. Make darn sure the injector hold down bolt holes are cleaned out before reinstalling the bolts or you will get a false torque. Consider doing stand pipes and dummy plugs while you're in that far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles