diesel in gas can?

I have an old gas can I want too put diesel in. The can has some rust in the bottom and had varnished gas in it at one time. If I clean it out good will it work?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
One significant difference in diesel and gas cans is the size of the filll opening. Diesel pumps have a larger diameter fill spout than their gasoline bretheren and thus the tanks for gas and diesel are typically different as well. I put diesel into a gas can a few months back in a pinch, but the nozzle for the pump didn't fit down into the fill hole....had to use my hand as a gasket (NOT recommended!) In a pinch it works, but its best to have a yellow can for diesel, and a red can for gas if you can manage it.

As a side note (and a bit of a rant) the new EPA sanctioned gas cans without a vent totally suck.

Spence

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Yep...just love it when my 6gal gas can turns into a big red football when exposed to the sun....never have seen the point to not having a vent on the cans...I mean the vapors escape into the atmosphere anyway when you open the can to use it...

craig333

Expedition Leader
One significant difference in diesel and gas cans is the size of the filll opening. Diesel pumps have a larger diameter fill spout than their gasoline bretheren and thus the tanks for gas and diesel are typically different as well. I put diesel into a gas can a few months back in a pinch, but the nozzle for the pump didn't fit down into the fill hole....had to use my hand as a gasket (NOT recommended!) In a pinch it works, but its best to have a yellow can for diesel, and a red can for gas if you can manage it.

As a side note (and a bit of a rant) the new EPA sanctioned gas cans without a vent totally suck.

Spence

The big rig pumps are have larger nozzles. The pumps for smaller rigs are sized the same as gas nozzles.

vhram

Observer
I had read somewhere and was told by someone you cant put diesel in a regular metal gas can, It disolves the coating on the inside if I remember correctly. Ill see if I can find the info. I went thru a bunch when I got cans for my f250 a few years ago .

Bullseye240

Adventurer
First make sure that the can is not galvanized or the diesel will take it right off and ruin your expensive injection pump.
Second I wouldn't do it because the gas will wipe out the lubrication qualities of the diesel and ruin your expensive injection pump.
Third fuel cans aren't nearly as expensive as injection pumps so go ahead and buy a dedicated diesel can. If for no other reason you never have to worry about what was last in the can and what your about to pour it into.
Just my .02 as I have seen someone wipe out an injection pump on a diesel genset by refueling it from a gas can with diesel in it.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Provided you actually empty the petrol from the can before filling it with diesel, the tiny amount of leftover petrol won't hurt your injection pump. In extreme cold one accepted practice is to add petrol to diesel to prevent jelling.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Yep...just love it when my 6gal gas can turns into a big red football when exposed to the sun....never have seen the point to not having a vent on the cans...I mean the vapors escape into the atmosphere anyway when you open the can to use it...

Gas cans should never have a permanent vent because you will quickly end up with an empty can AND create a very hazardous situation in the vicinity.

Properly-labelled gas cans are designed to contain the pressure and there is little point even releasing the pressure occasionally because if the liquid is hot, the can will re-pressurise almost immediately anyway. True, a small amount of vapour escapes when the can is opened, but leaving it open results in a huge amount of vapour being released.

If you are concerned, then move the can into a cooler place.

One thing that may help is not to buy large quantities in the middle of winter for use in the summer because the vapour-pressure specs may be quite different.

jisa897

Observer
Got two yellow plastic diesel cans but I understand they shouldn't be kept inside the car for risk of overheating... so I may be stupid asking this question, but how do you do to keep extra diesel with you when necessary? Txs

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Got two yellow plastic diesel cans but I understand they shouldn't be kept inside the car for risk of overheating... so I may be stupid asking this question, but how do you do to keep extra diesel with you when necessary? Txs

What kind of cans are they? Honestly with some of the higher quality cans, ie Wedco, Scepter, etc... you can actually safely put them inside a vehicle, even in the hot sun they won't leak or smell. Not to say its not advised against by most, but it can, has and is often done by many including myself

jisa897

Observer
Got cheap yellow plastic ones from WalMart, far from $50 each! Perhaps I can re-use them for water storage if they're no good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke