Diesel heater in a four wheel camper?

NikonRon

Adventurer
I went with the Espar unit in my FWC Eagle shell and am running kerosene. Kerosene is less mess and smell.

Reactions: Vst

GoinBoardin

Observer
I put one in my 1980's Fleet (flatbed converted). Ran like crap initially because I didn't adjust for my elevation (7100'+) but all good now. I wanted it to not take up any floor space.

PXL_20211210_031453178.jpg

PXL_20211207_224856867 (1).jpg

PXL_20211210_043311872.jpg

The fuel tank sits in a little cradle, with the fuel line running along the front wall of the camper.

I had to build a custom flange to go through the wall, but a little 1/16" steel plate, welder, drill, and grinder got it done reasonably quickly.

Vst

I put one in my 1980's Fleet (flatbed converted). Ran like crap initially because I didn't adjust for my elevation (7100'+) but all good now. I wanted it to not take up any floor space.

View attachment 702526

View attachment 702525

View attachment 702527

The fuel tank sits in a little cradle, with the fuel line running along the front wall of the camper.

I had to build a custom flange to go through the wall, but a little 1/16" steel plate, welder, drill, and grinder got it done reasonably quickly.
That’s a pretty cool setup it gets the exhaust completely outside

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
????

I agree, but that's kind of the whole point of ALL of the Diesel/Gasoline heaters (and the externally-vented Propane), isn't it?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but your heat choices can be cleanly divided into only two camps: "burns your breathing air" or "externally vented". The catalytic style heaters fall into the first camp, and just about everything else is in the second. (And ALL of the 2nd type should have exhaust completely outside. If they don't, something's probably incorrectly installed.)

GoinBoardin

Observer

It took a little while to settle on that setup. There's pro's and cons to it. I like that it's on the wall not taking up useful space, easily accessible/serviceable, and the combustion inlet & outlet are outside. One drawback is the heater is under the bed; so the fan is a bit loud if running hard. My pump is bolted to the cradle that the fuel tank is mounted in (outside). I can hear it ticking while in the camper; not my favorite thing but the heat is nice. More of an unknown, is how it will run if I'm driving. I suspect, not well at speed as the inlet & outlet for combustion will see different air currents.

????

I agree, but that's kind of the whole point of ALL of the Diesel/Gasoline heaters (and the externally-vented Propane), isn't it?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but your heat choices can be cleanly divided into only two camps: "burns your breathing air" or "externally vented". The catalytic style heaters fall into the first camp, and just about everything else is in the second. (And ALL of the 2nd type should have exhaust completely outside. If they don't, something's probably incorrectly installed.)
Herbie, his install has the combustion air drawn from inside the camper (which is perhaps not a great idea), and the exhaust is routed to the exterior (absolutely necessary). I think what he means is that my install, the entire length of exhaust is exterior, where his exhaust tube has a run through the interior before exiting the living space.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I anyone concerned about the longevity of fuel pump due to lower lubricity of kerosene?

Yes and no. I have gone through 20 gallons of kerosene now with our Planar set up. No issues. But I may mix in some diesel for this weekends trip. Planar themselves recommend Diesel OR Kerosene. I believe it's not an issue.

simple

Adventurer
I've heard there are different grades of kerosene with varying lubricity and that the spec is different in US, AUS and Europe.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Herbie, his install has the combustion air drawn from inside the camper (which is perhaps not a great idea), and the exhaust is routed to the exterior (absolutely necessary). I think what he means is that my install, the entire length of exhaust is exterior, where his exhaust tube has a run through the interior before exiting the living space.
OK, I just went and watched the video. Yeah, I have thoughts.

To each their own, but I'm sticking with my original statement, with an emphasis on the last portion about things being installed counter to specifications.

ramblinChet

Since my AEV/FWC RAM 3500 is gasoline I decided to try something different and opted for a diesel powered marine stove and heater:

Wallas NORDIC DT

wallas 01.jpg

wallas 02.jpg

Here is how I will carry my diesel fuel in my gasoline truck:

TITAN spare tire auxiliary fuel system

titan.jpg

On a single 30 gallon tank of diesel, on medium heat, I could run my heater 24/7 for over one month continuously. With that much additional capacity I will also be adding a hydronic diesel pre-heater to heat my water.

Both pieces have been ordered and delivered.

Attachments

• Wallas.jpg
    Wallas.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
  • titan.jpg
    titan.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 29

GoinBoardin

Observer
Since my AEV/FWC RAM 3500 is gasoline I decided to try something different and opted for a diesel powered marine stove and heater:

Wallas NORDIC DT

View attachment 702734

View attachment 702735

Here is how I will carry my diesel fuel in my gasoline truck:

TITAN spare tire auxiliary fuel system

View attachment 702737

On a single 30 gallon tank of diesel, on medium heat, I could run my heater 24/7 for over one month continuously. With that much additional capacity I will also be adding a hydronic diesel pre-heater to heat my water.

Both pieces have been ordered and delivered.
That heater/stove combo is pretty slick. More than I'm willing to spend at this time but would be a nice piece. I just doubled my battery capacity, solar, and added a big inverter to go induction cooktop and ditch propane altogether.

ramblinChet

That heater/stove combo is pretty slick. More than I'm willing to spend at this time but would be a nice piece. I just doubled my battery capacity, solar, and added a big inverter to go induction cooktop and ditch propane altogether.

That sounds awesome and I am looking forward to hearing updated on your set up. I too was going to go the induction cooktop route but since I enjoy spending much time in the cold the heater was very important to me. What is your solution for heat?

All of my research suggested that a diesel powered heater was the best option for me so when I discovered the heater stove combo it seemed like an interesting option. I like experimenting so we will see just how this turns out.

clydeps

when I discovered the heater stove combo it seemed like an interesting option.
I've never used a diesel cooktop but I have heard from others who've had them that they have some drawbacks. I have an induction cooktop and it is just terrific. Heating and hot water is from a Webasto hydronic diesel heater.

Another drawback to a combo heater/stove would be that it represents a single point of failure for two important functions, and if you decided you didn't like the cooktop switching would be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz