Diesel Gladiator with a Manual!!! Is it coming 2020?

phsycle

Adventurer
Rubi with the 4:1 xfer case......I think I'd be fine with a 22RE in there. I see no issues with the 3.6, (albeit I do love those straigh 6's). Wouldn't be a factor if I were shopping a new Jeep.

Bobzdar

Observer
I've had both - the 3.6L is vastly superior to the 4.0 in every single way. It's not even close, and I had arguably the best iteration of the 4.0, the port injected TJ version. It was a great motor but ~100hp less than the 3.6 and 25% less efficient with no perceivable benefits.

As to the reason manuals are going away - they're objectively worse than autos in almost every way now. Worse fuel mileage, worse towing, worse acceleration, worse off-road. Even up to 5 years ago that wasn't the case, but if you get a manual Gladiator you give up 2500lbs in towing and get worse performance. I was a manual die hard, even going so far as to go through the pain of converting a couple of cars from auto to manual, but in the last 5-10 years autos almost universally have surpassed manuals in performance and the new JL and JT were the first vehicles I didn't even consider the manual. I still enjoy rowing my own, but I have a couple of "antique" sports cars for that, which, much like carburetors, are where they belong these days.

zb39

Adventurer
I've had both - the 3.6L is vastly superior to the 4.0 in every single way. It's not even close, and I had arguably the best iteration of the 4.0, the port injected TJ version. It was a great motor but ~100hp less than the 3.6 and 25% less efficient with no perceivable benefits.

As to the reason manuals are going away - they're objectively worse than autos in almost every way now. Worse fuel mileage, worse towing, worse acceleration, worse off-road. Even up to 5 years ago that wasn't the case, but if you get a manual Gladiator you give up 2500lbs in towing and get worse performance. I was a manual die hard, even going so far as to go through the pain of converting a couple of cars from auto to manual, but in the last 5-10 years autos almost universally have surpassed manuals in performance and the new JL and JT were the first vehicles I didn't even consider the manual. I still enjoy rowing my own, but I have a couple of "antique" sports cars for that, which, much like carburetors, are where they belong these days.

I agree with this. I have owned over 20 jeeps in my life and have had most of the engines, mostly with manuals. My current 19 JLR is easily the best of the bunch.
I still got the 6 speed manual with the 3.6. LOVE IT! This was Not my first 3.6 either. I have one in a Durango.

SBSYNCRO

I had a ‘15 Ford F-150 with the 3.5 eco boost motor. The ONLY thing I liked about that truck was the motor. Man I’d love that motor in my Jeep.

Crazy power and torque down low but 23 mpg going 75 down the highway fully loaded down with gear and would tow 11,000 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank

Explorer
A manual diesel Gladiator will not be available at launch. It is on the dock for 2021 MY, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94