Diesel Gladiator with a Manual!!! Is it coming 2020?

jadmt

ignore button user
for the record there are so many 3.6L running around like 12 million or something like that. Look at all the ones that have in excess of 200,000 miles. I personally drove 3 different chargers that were totally abused with somewhere north of 130,000 miles without issues. Most of the issues associated with these are heads and they are plug and play. No way would I swap a 4.0L for a 3.6L.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Lots of scary stories on jeepforum. And lots of blown hemis at my favorite fleet customer.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Lots of scary stories on jeepforum. And lots of blown hemis at my favorite fleet customer.

It is sometimes really hard not too get too personal when you have to work as a moderator, but @Buliwyf, come on...this is borderline trolling.

That comment has zero value, you can do better than that. The 3.6 is not even an Hemi.

Every brand has issues and scary stories on forums. You know that.

jadmt

ignore button user
with 12 million 3.6L there will always be a handful of stories. Every forum (no matter what the product) I have ever belonged to always seems to attract all the negative issues even if they are only on 1% of the vehicles regardless what make. I go by my own experience and I have owned 4 3.6's and never had any issues and at work drove 3 3.6 that were totally abused with high miles. these 3 at work pretty much idled when they were not driven.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

It is sometimes really hard not too get too personal when you have to work as a moderator, but @Buliwyf, come on...this is borderline trolling.

That comment has zero value, you can do better than that. The 3.6 is not even an Hemi.

Every brand has issues and scary stories on forums. You know that.

Search it out yourself on the jeep and ram forums at least, before making a decision.

I made mine. I'm steering clear of the hemi and 3.6 for now. Hopefully the diesel is good. Too bad about the transmission though.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
Search it out yourself on the jeep and ram forums at least, before making a decision.

I made mine.
I started researching a new Ford SD and after getting on Ford truck enthusiast forum I went back to looking at Gladiators lol. why? I have owned 4 3.6L without any issues so no reason to think I would have any trouble in the future yet so many people who I don't know were having issues with new ford trucks........

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Only on the 3.6. The 2.0 and diesel are slushbox only. Which makes no sense. They seemed to sell well with manuals around here.

dstock

Explorer
Even slower than it already is. Remember that 4.0 even in the “HO” version was only something like 195 hp. That’s nearly 100hp less than the 3.6.

I’m no fan of the 3.6 but I would not want the 4.0 in my ‘17 JKUR. A nice AMERICAN turbo diesel, hell yes! But not the 4.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said! I currently have 90K on my 3.6L and that includes a bunch of towing with zero issues. 4.0L in the JK would be a DOG!

Superduty

Adventurer
The 97-06 4.0 in an unlimited or JT? That would be a horrible set up. Jeep would be out of business. The 4.0 in a 2 dr configuration with oversized tires can barely get out of it's own way when going up hills, there is no way it would work. (Yes my Jeep is regeared for the tire size increase).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

roving1

I certainly would not go through the trouble to actually swap a 4.0 into a 3.6 vehicle. But the horsepower stat is mostly useless. It is pretty high up the RPM range. The 4.0 is so much better with usable power. In 4 lo I have switched between vehicles driving over rough sections for people. The 4.0 is so much better than 300HP V6 at low RPMs it is not even close.

Again I would not actually go through the trouble of swapping in real life but if I could magically snap my fingers and make a 3.6 turn into 4.0 with no effort I would do it in a second. 3.6 is way better than the old 3.7 but both are pretty gutless down low.

roving1

The 97-06 4.0 in an unlimited or JT? That would be a horrible set up. Jeep would be out of business. The 4.0 in a 2 dr configuration with oversized tires can barely get out of it's own way when going up hills, there is no way it would work. (Yes my Jeep is regeared for the tire size increase).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Barely get out of its own way lol. OK... ?

I now drive a stock 2.7 4cyl Taco re-geared with bigger tires and 1000 lbs of crap in the bed and can drive most of the country hanging onto 5th gear except extreme mountain passes. It's fine. Not great but acceptable.

It's also way worse than my Jeeps were with 32 and 33" tires and stock gears with a 4.0. Your calibration of not being able to get out of its own way is pretty off IMHO. I agree the 3.6 is a better engine to wrap out and drive 90 on the freeway. Why that would be anyone's priority in an off road focused vehicle is beyond me.

Justincredible

Adventurer
Yes the 4.0 makes a higher percentage of it's total power down low in the rev range, but by 1500rpm the 3.6 makes more torque than the 4.0 makes at any RPM, and by 3000rpm it makes more power.

I loved the 4.0 in my old TJ, but the 3.6 in my JK has been flawless for 130,000 miles and has been just as usable offroad and much better on road.

roving1

Yes the 4.0 makes a higher percentage of it's total power down low in the rev range, but by 1500rpm the 3.6 makes more torque than the 4.0 makes at any RPM, and by 3000rpm it makes more power.

I loved the 4.0 in my old TJ, but the 3.6 in my JK has been flawless for 130,000 miles and has been just as usable offroad and much better on road.

Can't argue with numbers if those are the facts but it sure does not feel like it jumping from manual to manual with similar tires and gearing. Torque under 1500 is a bigger difference that it seems in real life.

I think the 3.6 is a perfectly fine engine just not a great engine. Would not keep me from buying a new Jeep. Just doesn't excite me to drive it in anyone I have experienced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles