Diesel G-wagen for Canada ever?

Snowbeard

Hey everybody,my first post to this awesome forum!

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked a million times before,,,,I could'nt find any info here searching,so the question is .....is there any way to purchase or import a late model G-wagen in or into Canada?Anybody got any other info regarding diesel availability in late model overland type vehicles that manufacturers are thinking about bringing into North America?

Thanks!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Anything can come into Canada if it passes a federal inspection and is on the permitted list. Look at RIV website (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) to see what is importable. Anything 15 years or older is a cakewalk as it doesn't need the federal, only a provincial. Just don't bring anything "modified" if it is newer than 15 years. They won't allow it.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Anything can come into Canada if it passes a federal inspection and is on the permitted list. Look at RIV website (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) to see what is importable. Anything 15 years or older is a cakewalk as it doesn't need the federal, only a provincial. Just don't bring anything "modified" if it is newer than 15 years. They won't allow it.

You can import a vehicle newer then 15 years from a country OTHER then the USA only if the vehicle bears an original statement of compliance (usually a door sticker or plate) to either Canadian or US motor vehicle safety standards. If the vehicle is older then 15 years, it doesn't need the compliance statement.

As far as I am aware, there are no late model diesel G-wagens anywhere in the world that bear those stickers (there are exceptions for the Canadian military vehicles). MB only tests and attaches compliance statements to vehicles destined for the North American market and MB hasn't sent diesel G-wagens here (again, military and special use exemptions exist).

If someone knows of a late model factory diesel G-wagen with a compliance statement please prove me wrong. I might order one :)

Pete

Devil1964

We imported a G that was 15 years old to the month - really easy, didn't have any problems at all (apart from the pain of handing over the import taxes!)

optimizer

We imported a G that was 15 years old to the month - really easy, didn't have any problems at all (apart from the pain of handing over the import taxes!)

Just ran into this forum today and what a cool forum! I've been researching an expedition type vehicle for some time now and I'm more or less settled on a G-Wagen, but choices in Canada are fairly limited and rare to come by...

Devil1964 - how did you go about the process of finding / paying and shipping from Germany? Last Benz I bought was imported from the US, so I'm somewhat comfortable with that process... but importing from Germany (plus language barriers) may be a whole other ball game?

mr.rhtuner

I'm looking into buying a Diesel G-wagen sometime soon, just not sure about how to find the car in german, and how to export it from there.

Anybody have some more info on this?

pan7eraboyca

Most of these cars are coming from Japan. Just do a Google search on Japanese imports to Canada (or your Province) and you should find a company or 2 that is importing them. Just saw a Toyota troopy with all the Expedition basics on a local Importing site.

haven

Expedition Leader
Or you could just buy one from the Canadian armed forces after
they decide to sell their new G-Wagens as surplus property.

Gclasscanada2.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Or you could just buy one from the Canadian armed forces after
they decide to sell their new G-Wagens as surplus property.

By the time Canadian Forces vehicles hit Crown Assets Disposal they are completely used up. Rebuilt a half dozen times, 30-40 years old.

Buy something from Germany and you'll be able to get it "now" and have much less headaches.

mr.rhtuner

Most of these cars are coming from Japan. Just do a Google search on Japanese imports to Canada (or your Province) and you should find a company or 2 that is importing them. Just saw a Toyota troopy with all the Expedition basics on a local Importing site.

We want them LHD and we have more contacts in Europe/Germany then in Japan lol

saw terra2 imports them, but a heafty price and RHD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles