Diesel G 463 for the US

inkblotz

Hi All:

Well it seems that the survey we presented to Mercedes in Graz at the 30th anniversary and the one to MBUSA has done some good. I received a phone call from MBUSA. They said that there is a good possibility that we will get a diesel G for the US market. We need your input to help MBUSA understand what we want. They have said they are working on a 463 Diesel. So most likely it will be a Bluetec. Forget the 461 it's not in the cards. To keep the price point down they are considering selling a base 463 diesel G that you customize yourself.

Please fill out the survey, that Drew put together so that we can pass along our diesel desires.

http://web.mac.com/drewplatt/Gelandewagen/Survey_2.0.html

Thanks Drew and Mark:victory:

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Drew and Mike. And thanks for listing Expedition Portal
on your web page of links to sites of interest to Gelandewagen enthusiasts.

Personally, I think the survey asks for too much personal and financial
information for me to be comfortable filling it out online. It's more like
a prospect sheet for a dealer than a survey that would inform MBZ
corporate decision-makers that a diesel GWagen would have a market.
But that's just my reaction.

Chip Haven

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Welcome to ExPo, Drew and Mike. And thanks for listing Expedition Portal
on your web page of links to sites of interest to Gelandewagen enthusiasts.

Personally, I think the survey asks for too much personal and financial
information for me to be comfortable filling it out online. It's more like
a prospect sheet for a dealer than a survey that would inform MBZ
corporate decision-makers that a diesel GWagen would have a market.
But that's just my reaction.

Chip Haven

Yeah,

I have also seen the black G-wagen with lots of antennas and dark tinted windows circling the neighborhoods here.

If the boys from MB don't see a real market for the Diesel G here in the US - it will never happen......So the survey should be filled out by those interested people only who are also willing to put their money were their mouth is.
I do not have that kind of money for a vehicle without spark plugs......

Thank you Drew & Mark for all your sincere efforts

Karl

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'll disagree on the financial bit - just asking how much you'd pay? Maybe the form has changed. I don't see anything remotely leading for financial.

I do have a problem with the names and email addresses being publicly displayed though. That is a no-no in my opinion.

I think they should bring over the 463, basically option it out the same way as a full-loaded Wrangler Rubicon, charge an extra $10k. Done. I await delivery. Can I get a gas engine? ;)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Don't need a hot rod engine in a 4x4.

Is there a ~4.0 litre straight six available in the current G?

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Of course you can, right now. It's called the G500.

Charlie

Soorry Charlie........it's a G550 now......:victory:

Yes, you do not need all that power in the offroad/Overland environment, but sure it's nice to have when traveling long distances to it

4250942.jpg

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Diesel white 4 door LWB with and autobox and a/c please. Everything else is just luxury options... well central locking if I have to have it I won't complain to badly. Oh and 10k more than a rubicon.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Diesel white 4 door LWB with and autobox and a/c please. Everything else is just luxury options... well central locking if I have to have it I won't complain to badly. Oh and 10k more than a rubicon.

Please fill out the survey - Mercedes Benz USA will look at the surveys aforementioned before they look at this thread.

Viggen

Just here...
I dont think this will happen as there really is no market for a diesel G in the States. They marketed it as a luxury mobile here in the US whereas it is used as a workhorse everywhere else. People who buy G's in the US have enough money to afford them and dont mind the crappy mpg from a big V8 in the front.

VW does these things all the time. "Would you like a TDi Tiguan?" Sure, thatd be great. "Sorry, never going to happen as there is no demand." Well, how about in the Passat wagon? "Sorry, no demand." Sure, they have a TDi Touareg but that SOB starts in the high 40s which puts it out of reach of most people who would like a diesel for the right reasons, i.e. more than mpg.

All the European workhorse SUVs are marketed as luxury cars in the US and most buyers will not see any advantages of paying the extra for a diesel when they are already spending a bunch of money on the car to begin with.

Ruination Fan

Adventurer
I dont think this will happen as there really is no market for a diesel G in the States. They marketed it as a luxury mobile here in the US whereas it is used as a workhorse everywhere else. People who buy G's in the US have enough money to afford them and dont mind the crappy mpg from a big V8 in the front.

I see this as the most likely issue. Over here in the states, Benz is luxury....complete opposite of on the other side of the pond. It would be nice to have a diesel 463, but Bluetec is a pretty huge leap from the inline 6 with injection pump. The bluetec has a lot of stuff going on (additive you have to add to the tank, and flush from the system if not used and much more). They are good motors, but not the best IMO for expo use. I prefer the 460-461(still dreaming of finding one for a decent price) style due to the more manual accessories(windows,t-case,mirrors). The 463s are nice, but are built from a lot of left overs from other chassis (203s,124s,etc...)for the luxury items.

inkblotz

Survey 1.0

Expedition Portal did not receive the link to the first survey as it was put together in May of 09. It was made into an aluminum clad brochure that was presented to the head of the G-wagen division in Graz at the 30th anniversary celebration and another one was presented to the head of the G-wagen division at MBUSA. I received several phone calls and emails regarding the results from MBUSA.

This second "survey" was put together to answer specific questions that MBUSA asked me.

So for me any chance of getting a Diesel G here in the US is a good one.

Here is the link to the first Survey post: http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/fo...+survey&highlightmode=1&action=search#M151326

Thanks
Mark

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
In case this thread makes it to MBUSA...

I think there is a market in North America, or at least in Canada anyway, for a gas or diesel G that is focused as competition to the Jeep Wrangler. Make it $10k more than the top of the line Rubicon and strip out all the luxury crap. Even bring the older chassis (463?) in a similar way to what VW has done with the "City Golf" in Canada.

I expect there'd be lots of buyers if the way the guys in the local 4x4 club lust after the few Gs that are in the club (461 and 463 vintage). Why don't those guys go out and buy older Gs? Because older Gs cost over $20k around here and are ~20+ year old vehicles. It does not fit the normal car buying value equation and it certainly is a hard sell if you have to get financing. Now, a $35-$40k new Rubi versus a $45-$50k G makes more sense.

$0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles