Diesel G 463 for the US

Viggen

Just here...
for a gas or diesel G that is focused as competition to the Jeep Wrangler. Make it $10k more than the top of the line Rubicon and strip out all the luxury crap.

Never going to happen. An MB marketed to compete with Jeep? Never ever ever. I dont think that most people even realize that the G Wagen still exists outside of certain "rich" markets of the country. The market as it is is so narrowly defined as a result of MB's efforts that a diesel coming in would make no difference whatsoever. We would want it because we like the off road capability aspect of it but alas, ExPo is not the real world and we are not a viable market in the US

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Hey, I can dream can't I? LOL

I agree with you, it won't happen.

If Mercedes Benz took a gamble and had an aggressive marketing campaign here in the USA with a TV commercial or two, full spread ads in 4x4 magazines, Rolling Stone magazine, People... online then people would understand the pedigree of these trucks. Just because it's not known by the US market does NOT mean it cannot compete. People just need to know about the product at hand here. Once this is done it will be more likely people will buy, especially if it is Diesel.

I have my doubts as well that gambles of this proportion will be taken, but perhaps they will?

Hunter

Viggen

Just here...
If Mercedes Benz took a gamble and had an aggressive marketing campaign here in the USA with a TV commercial or two, full spread ads in 4x4 magazines, Rolling Stone magazine, People... online then people would understand the pedigree of these trucks. Just because it's not known by the US market does NOT mean it cannot compete. People just need to know about the product at hand here. Once this is done it will be more likely people will buy, especially if it is Diesel.

I have my doubts as well that gambles of this proportion will be taken, but perhaps they will?

Hunter
Look at the average salary of the typical buyer of those periodicals and then look at the cost of the truck itself. They do not match up very well. They will see the pedigree but that will not equate to actual sales. People are now keeping their vehicles for longer amounts of time leading to a downturn in actual new car sales. Because of this, MB would be mad to try and federalize a new diesel motor and produce one to meet the US specs. Look at the sales of VAG's Q7 and Touareg TDI for reference. Both are very well thought out in their execution and come with a diesel built buy arguably one of the best diesel motor designers and producers. Their problem, the premium placed on the motor added to an already pricey truck places it well out of many buyers reach. MB would be doing the same thing.

We can dream. I WANT diesel offerings in the US and would buy one new but all that depends upon the cost. Make it $35k+ and you lose a huge amount of the market. Many people who want diesel powered SUVs arent willing to spend that much money. I know that I am not. For proof, look at the ridiculous popularity of using a Cummins motor that has no business being in anything other than a bread truck being swapped into just about anything with wheels. The demand is there but its all price dependent.

Root Moose, Ill dream with you on this one.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I could care less about the diesel aspect. Stick an already certified gas engine into the "stripper" truck and bring it over. If they could do it for approximately the price of a Wrangler even better. I'd probably have to be restrained from buying one - seriously.

. Because of this, MB would be mad to try and federalize a new diesel motor and produce one to meet the US specs. Look at the sales of VAG's Q7 and Touareg TDI for reference. Both are very well thought out in their execution and come with a diesel built buy arguably one of the best diesel motor designers and producers. Their problem, the premium placed on the motor added to an already pricey truck places it well out of many buyers reach. MB would be doing the same thing.

The motor is already "federalized". It is the same 3.2L V6 they put in everything else, from the Sprinter to the E series.
And FYI our BMW X5 35d is cheaper than an X5 with the 4.8L V8 (which it exceeds in torque), but slightly more expensive than the 3.0L petrol inline 6 (which it exceeds in hp and mpg).
I would hazard a guess that the price of a diesel G would be midway between the G320 which isn't sold in the US and the G500, which is sold here. So it might be LESS expensive than a G500. Not cheap by any measure.

Charlie

Indiana Drew

Observer
Update

Hello Gbees - it has been about 2 weeks since the first submission to Survey 2.0 came in and we are at 88! Keep encouraging others to take a few minutes and share their feelings!

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Hello Gbees - it has been about 2 weeks since the first submission to Survey 2.0 came in and we are at 88! Keep encouraging others to take a few minutes and share their feelings!

so exciting to see this whole thing panning out... great job everyone (you too drew, I guess ;)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi All:

Well it seems that the survey we presented to Mercedes in Graz at the 30th anniversary and the one to MBUSA has done some good. I received a phone call from MBUSA. They said that there is a good possibility that we will get a diesel G for the US market. We need your input to help MBUSA understand what we want. They have said they are working on a 463 Diesel. So most likely it will be a Bluetec. Forget the 461 it's not in the cards. To keep the price point down they are considering selling a base 463 diesel G that you customize yourself.

Please fill out the survey, that Drew put together so that we can pass along our diesel desires.

http://web.mac.com/drewplatt/Gelandewagen/Survey_2.0.html

Thanks Drew and Mark:victory:

Added, thx Drew and Mark!!!

otiswesty

Regular guy
Expedition Portal did not receive the link to the first survey as it was put together in May of 09. It was made into an aluminum clad brochure that was presented to the head of the G-wagen division in Graz at the 30th anniversary celebration and another one was presented to the head of the G-wagen division at MBUSA. I received several phone calls and emails regarding the results from MBUSA.

Mark

Here's some pics of the presentation of the first survey with Heinz Neunzig, myself and Tim Watkins to Axel Harries of MB in Graz last summer.

Attachments

• surveyhandover.jpg
    surveyhandover.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 19
  • GPres2.jpg
    GPres2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 27
  • GPres3.jpg
    GPres3.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Forum statistics