Diesel for the new Ford Transit Van in the US

sisu

Adventurer
wonder who is making the engine for them? once ford left the 7.3 they haven't had much consumer faith as far as I know in their 6 litre engines

OricAL

Ranger diesel

I picked up my new Ranger D/Cab 4x4 auto a few months ago. Engine is the new 3.2 t/diesel mentioned here already. Must say, awesome motor: 197hp / 470 nm torque. Sounds like a bag of old spanners when cold on acceleration, but really does settle down nicely to a soft hum when up to speed. Getting an ave of 26-28mpg at the moment which seems to be improving as the motor loosens up too. Overall, very pleased with it. Will be posting pics of my Ranger Overlander in the near future!!! :)

dentedvw

Wire twister
I too am waiting for the new transit, but I am not sure how much longer. The date keeps moving back, and my Econoline isn't getting any taller. :)
I drove the Nissan, but it doesn't come in a length I like, I have grown partial to the EB van, and don't really want to lose the excellently useful space. It drove sweet though, so the Ford is looking at tough competition so far. They better hurry up.
I do wonder how well the five cylinder diesel will perform for those of us who travel with a lot of junk, er I mean to say essentials. I regularly travel steep desert roads in the E350, and it barely makes it up sometimes. I wish for a real low range often. I think I would like the diesel, but if it's a light duty engine, I am not sure.
The numbers don't mean a lot to me, can anyone shed light on them?
I just can tell how well will it move a loaded up van?

Also, has anyone fitted up the euro version with a lift or 4wd?

It would be fuel for my imagination. :)

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I will be stopping by the FORD dealer when I see these on the lot.
I can see it now A white one with "Pennsylvania Pickers" on the side
and my wife and I traveling the country searching for treasures at yard sales and fleamarkets.
Now that would make a great TV show....................

Attachments

• fordtransit01-1346892939.jpg
    fordtransit01-1346892939.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles