Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

Marine

Adventurer
What the hell, I will add my 1 cent. Having had the privilege to serve my country for most of my adult life has resulted in being sent to some not so fun places. Gas or diesel don't matter seen both on my travels. I prefer diesel but am currently running a 2010 Ford Escape with 210,000 miles and going strong. While not expo cool it has four tires and gets me there. So to the original poster I say get what makes you happy.

Explorerinil

Observer
When I’m pulling my boat, hauling enough gear and food for 4 people for 2 weeks, plus hauling 4 people and a ton of crap on top of my topper to northern Ontario Canada next week I’ll think about this thread, espically since I’ll do it with better fuel economy than any gasser. Oh yeah and running 37 inch tires with a heavy whinch bumper. Diesel isn’t for everyone, but if you tow and haul it makes the drive allot better, in many ways.

Marine

Adventurer
When I’m pulling my boat, hauling enough gear and food for 4 people for 2 weeks, plus hauling 4 people and a ton of crap on top of my topper to northern Ontario Canada next week I’ll think about this thread, espically since I’ll do it with better fuel economy than any gasser. Oh yeah and running 37 inch tires with a heavy whinch bumper. Diesel isn’t for everyone, but if you tow and haul it makes the drive allot better, in many ways.
Your making me miss my cummins. Soon very soon I will have another.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Not sure where people get those repair numbers. 150k on my cummins and 0 repairs done.
I like my diesel but would I buy one now? Probably not. Gassers have come a long ways.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Don't worry. You will get there.

Even for the mighty 24v, you are on borrowed time for simple items like water pump, belt tensioner, and potentially things like turbo and injectors.
The simple point is not that diesels are less reliable or need more maintenance, it is that they are simply more costly to maintain.
EVERY engine will go through things like water pumps, injectors, & turbos, its just that the gasser parts are considerably cheaper to replace, and quite often with less labor.

Explorerinil

Observer
Not sure where people get those repair numbers. 150k on my cummins and 0 repairs done.
I like my diesel but would I buy one now? Probably not. Gassers have come a long ways.
I sold my 06 mega cab with 150 on it, it was never in the shop, the person that bought it talked to me last year, he has over 200k on it now, still problem free, other than some ball joints and a tie rod end. The cummins is by far the most reliable of the Diesel engines out there. I have had great luck with the 6.7, but I use it to tow and haul, so I’m sure that helps keep the emissions crap clean.

D45

Explorer
What happens when your diesel injector sticks open and melts a piston or hydro locks the motor?

Just saying it can happen, to any diesel motor

Repairs are expensive and bad fuel or fuel systems can wipe out a motor

I loved my 305/555 Cummins too

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't get why diesel inspires so much hate and negativity on this forum.

If you want a gasoline engine, then get one.
If you want a diesel engine, then get one.

I see dozens of online comments about how diesel will break your wallet or cause nothing but headaches. Yet I when I talk to dozens of people who use diesels on a daily basis, I don't hear the same gripes.

There is a huge discrepancy between the notorious reputation that diesels have earned in some online communities and the credible reputation they have earned on the streets.

Dalko43

Explorer
diesel is on average a dollar per gallon more than regular gasoline across the country, assuming a generous 6mpg increase on the diesel vs a gasoline truck, and diesel engines carrying a $10,000 premium over gas engine as an option, you literally cannot argue the math.

Attached is the cost difference in fuel assuming linear pricing and economy across 250,000 miles based on current prices in my area for regular petrol vs diesel with known fuel economies. This is JUST for fuel cost, not counting the increased cost of maintenance on the diesel with larger quantities of oil, DEF and fuel filter changes.

oh and never mind the fact that the big three are all increasing spending on development and refinement of medium duty gasoline engines, with Ford alone spending hundreds of millions of dollars to develop the 7.3L Godzilla because fleet customers who have a semblence of a brain realize that unless they're towing in excess of 10,000lbs regularly, diesel doesn't make sense anymore

but if that's what you want to tell yourself in order to confirm your purchasing decisions, well then go ahead.

Average cost "across the country." Diesel pricing may not be good for your area, but that doesn't mean it's the same in other areas.

Increased cost of maintenance is an overused, and incredibly vague, argument that a lot of diesel critics like to use....if you actually take the time to calculate those costs, they amount to an extra $100-$250 per year, assuming that you're not subjecting yourself to obscene dealership pricing.

The big 3 are spending money on medium duty gasoline engines..which are unlikely to offer much of an efficiency improvement over the previous generation of engines since they're naturally aspirated v8's powering heavy vehicles. They're also spending major bucks on improved diesel designs (for 3/4 ton, 1/2 ton and midsized trucks)...and those diesel engines are still far and away the preferred powerplants for most commercial vehicles.

Tell yourself what you want...diesel engines have a role in this market, and they're certainly not in danger of being replaced by gasoline engines anytime soon.

nickw

Adventurer
I don't get why diesel inspires so much hate and negativity on this forum.

If you want a gasoline engine, then get one.
If you want a diesel engine, then get one.

I see dozens of online comments about how diesel will break your wallet or cause nothing but headaches. Yet I when I talk to dozens of people who use diesels on a daily basis, I don't hear the same gripes.

There is a huge discrepancy between the notorious reputation that diesels have earned in some online communities and the credible reputation they have earned on the streets.
I think it's the exact opposite, many folks equate a proper expo-rig with a diesel powerplant, especially on this site, since it's how the Aussies do it and what many (not all) of the overseas Cruisers / Gwagons / Patrols have. Jeep is going to sell every single diesel Wrangler they make and 90% of them will be on Instagram kitted out in Moab, off-piste with the sun setting in the background #dieseladventuremachine.

Diesels used to be simple, easy to work on and offered great range. Those things are being challenged now due to the evolution of gas engines and (maybe more) to do with making diesels more complex. Diesels are devolving from a simplicity perspective, look at the Toyota 1HZ vs 1VD, the 1HZ is the epitome of rugged reliability, the 1VD has many of the same issues any of our domestic diesels have.

There is absolutely a debate and the tides are shifting for good reason.

I lived this with my Jetta. Sweet rig, LOVED the way it drove, torque all day, got 50+ MPG....I was scared to death of dropping $8k if a) the emissions system failed or b) if anything besides clean ULSD was used and the fuel system needed replacing.

*Note - I have 0 issues w/diesel, for the right situation they are absolutely the smartest choice, that situation depends on your requirements and use case.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Average cost "across the country." Diesel pricing may not be good for your area, but that doesn't mean it's the same in other areas.

Increased cost of maintenance is an overused, and incredibly vague, argument that a lot of diesel critics like to use....if you actually take the time to calculate those costs, they amount to an extra $100-$250 per year, assuming that you're not subjecting yourself to obscene dealership pricing.

The big 3 are spending money on medium duty gasoline engines..which are unlikely to offer much of an efficiency improvement over the previous generation of engines since they're naturally aspirated v8's powering heavy vehicles. They're also spending major bucks on improved diesel designs (for 3/4 ton, 1/2 ton and midsized trucks)...and those diesel engines are still far and away the preferred powerplants for most commercial vehicles.

Tell yourself what you want...diesel engines have a role in this market, and they're certainly not in danger of being replaced by gasoline engines anytime soon.
There is a healthy debate on gas vs diesel in the commercial / fleet world. The bigger the rig, the more diesel makes sense, so we won't be seeing gas semis or dump trucks any time soon, but for 1-ton fleet....it begs the question.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, that means a huge portion of the diesel market is in question, as well as in flux.

The writing has been on the wall for years people. Diesel has had one huge advantage for pretty much forever, efficiency. Thats it.
Ther first sign of diesel loosing that advantage was when diesel emissions started coming into play.
Strap enough emissions gear to a diesel to keep it in check and you add complexity and cost to build and maintain, and you loose efficiency.

All that said, worldwide we are already seeing a shift away from diesel for even large trucks.
While electric is great and has great potential, NG is looking to take much of the place of diesel in some large sectors, all in the name of emmisions.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4209336-diesels-demise-westport-fuel-systems-massive-opportunity

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I lived this with my Jetta. Sweet rig, LOVED the way it drove, torque all day, got 50+ MPG....I was scared to death of dropping $8k if a) the emissions system failed or b) if anything besides clean ULSD was used and the fuel system needed replacing.

*Note - I have 0 issues w/diesel, for the right situation they are absolutely the smartest choice, that situation depends on your requirements and use case.
Yup. My alternator went in my old '09 Jetta TDi. $1,400.....for an alternator. Traded it soon after.

1MK

ExploreDesert
I can chime in here.

I've always owned gas vehicles and they've all served me well when used and loaded within their intended limits. With that being said, almost everything I've owned got lifted, bigger tires, accessories, mods, etc. Once that happens you take a decent hit in power and mpg. But I was used to it and accepted it was part of modifications. I've also done quite a bit of towing with all of them, and that part sucks. Fine for level ground or small inclines but long grades, gusty wind, unexpected panic stops and gallons per mile made it a absolute chore. Now, I've never owned a full size with the biggest gasser option or any of the new turbo stuff and I'm sure there's a difference there.

A big part of selling my built Tacoma was the thing became a pig to drive. Just the bumpers, drawer, rack and aerodynamic hit really made it not great to drive for anything other then a off road trip. Even then, when it was loaded up for one it felt maxed out. Add on the RTT, lights, fridge, firewood, camping gear, people, extra gas, water, etc etc etc and it's almost too much. Cruise control was worthless, wouldn't hold a gear on any sort of grade, gas mileage was a absolute joke, would smoke brakes within 10-15k and cross-winds were sometimes pretty scary. Then having to tow my boat with it.... LOL. Yeah, not fun.

A buddy of mine has always been into diesels and on occasion through the years I'd get to drive his rigs, unloaded as well as fully loaded towing. It was a real eye opener on how different and comfortable it was to drive in both configurations. Unloaded, the diesel would just glide effortlessly and appear to sip on fuel. Loaded down, the diesel would still just glide effortlessly and maybe use a little more fuel. But there was no white knuckles, no getting a run at grades, no stopping constantly at gas stations, no worries about being able to stop and it felt sure footed at all times.

So the Tacoma sold and I bought a 06 F350. Not as a Tacoma/Overland/Off-road replacement rig but as something that can do everything pretty damn well. And it's done so thus far. I absolutely LOVE driving it. It's also in the early years of diesel emissions so it's only got a basic EGR system and a catalytic converter which is a big plus.

The power, room, fuel range, bed space and driving characteristics make driving so comfortable and enjoyable. And it doesn't matter if you're flying solo or it's loaded to the max, "it don't care".

There's down sides obviously, but I knew that going into it. Less off-road opportunities, maintenance, repair and a overall increase in cost of ownership.

I do all my own maintenance and repairs and the common parts aren't too far off from the gas counterparts. There's more to them of course, but not paying a "diesel shop" and parts mark-up for a medium/heavy duty truck makes it not so bad.

It'll be REALLY hard to get me back into a gasser truck, that's for sure.

IMG_6860.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles