Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Listed payloads are nothing more than marketing.

Take any two trucks that are outfitted the same, with the same GVWR, with the one exception of engine, one being gasser and the other being diesel, and the gasser will weigh less.

Its simple math.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
To be fare, check the location of this thread.

We are not talking about big trucks. We are talking about full size domestics

Adventurous

Explorer
Listed payloads are nothing more than marketing.

Take any two trucks that are outfitted the same, with the same GVWR, with the one exception of engine, one being gasser and the other being diesel, and the gasser will weigh less.

Its simple math.

True, but the GVWR is not necessarily the same for the diesel and the gas trucks. There are configurations for which both the GVWR and payload are higher for the diesel.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You can thank RAM for muddying the waters.
Their spec sheets are a mess for seemingly no reason.

Do the diesels by chance have a different front axle?
That's the only logical difference I can spot, as the front axle rating for the diesel is a tough higher than the gasser.
Rear axle ratings are the same.

FYI, Ford Superduty plays it straight.
Same axles, same GVWRs, etc...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, just look at one of their sheets...
Told ya rated payload was marketing....

Basic math shows their numbers are bogus.
Do ANY of their listed GVWR-Curb weight = payload ?? :ROFLMAO: None of them line up!

And looking closer, it isnt even the front axle that makes the difference between gasser and diesel....

Im sure some would argue that trans & gearing plays a role. For towing, sure, but for GVWR? Not so much.

Again, probably marketing. And in this instance, they are probably padding the GVWR in order to meet the tow ratings they want.
33995825568_cddc3f76db_b.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
Another big plus with the diesel, at least for me, is the exhaust brake. Works like a charm both on and off road to help keep things in check.

Explorerinil

Observer
I track my DEF use over the life of the truck, average is 1000 miles per gallon of DEF, tank holds 5 gallons if this matters to you.

GreggNY

I’ve got an 18 Cummins with the g56 manual and a manual t-case. Love it. Last year for a full size truck with a manual. Previous posters are correct - the only problem is once you have them, you don’t want anything else. If you’ve ever towed with a 3/4 ton diesel...well it’s just made for it. The truck feels more complete with a trailer really. I know that’s not what you were getting at though.

I had an 02 7.3 manual that I had bought new and had for many years, but sold because I “really didn’t need a diesel anymore. “ I got by with gas trucks fine of course for several years after that, but couldn’t get the diesel and heavier duty truck out of my head, especially when I hooked a trailer up.

I feel like the 1/2 ton trucks are so compromised now they don’t feel like trucks anymore, which is fine with most people and that’s great. 8 speed automatics, that stupid engine start/stop thing....

Sure, DEF. whatever. $10 a month or so. I can live with it. I drive about the same amount, 20k a year. I’ve done one fuel filter change myself - dealer wanted $350.

You won’t regret diesel.
44937f113bd9c6cdd36e2c8f9fab93ba.jpg

Sorry don’t have any epic pictures of my truck yet :) will next month though, heading on a long trip out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of my jeeps have been manual and that’s the main reason I started looking at the Ram trucks. It’s still a possibility to go with the g56 but finding any in this area to even test drive is tough.

Agreed on the half tons too. I had a ‘17 f150 for a short time and it was nice, comfortable, quiet, easy to get in and out of. Felt like an SUV and definitely not a truck. The 13xx payload was ridiculous. And then came the oil change when I discovered the plastic screw thread drain plug. I’m sure it works fine but definitely not what I had in mind for a truck.

GreggNY

Thanks for all the replies fellas. More than I expected. The main argument against diesel seems to be the extra upfront cost of $9k-ish. I’d be buying used (still under warranty) or certified so most comparable diesels are at most $4-5k more than the gasser equivalent and have already taken the major depreciation hit. So when I trade in years down the line and maybe lose a couple grand difference, it isn’t a huge concern. What I enjoy driving more is.

I know none of what I stated in my original post says I need a diesel. I’m sure plenty of gas trucks out there would do it- 1/2 and 3/4 ton. But I also don’t need a lifted wrangler on 37” tires. Same as most of us I’m sure don’t really need the rigs we drive. But they’re fun as hell, and get used for what they were built for. And if financially do-able, then why not get what makes us happy right? Keep the thoughts coming!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
"-It would be my daily driver for now. Work commute is 70 miles round trip at 90% highway
-I drive 15,000-20,000 miles/year"

OP's Words.

Buy at vehicle that "meats" your needs for 70 miles a day commute, 90% highway and 15K-20K miles a year. Not the other 10%!

You don't need a DIESEL to that.

You already own a vehicle that will do far more than the 90% discussed above AND the other 10% can be a compromise when you need it. You already know the 3 Jeeps you had/have are far more capable vehicle to do what you want than you really need for that commute and 90% highway driving.

Sounds like once again you want something NEW and the idea of a "Bigger Vehicle" is a good way to justify in your mind that change to a diesel powered vehicle and the costs that go with that change.

Stay with a GAS vehicle set up for your 90% driving needs!

Last edited:

GreggNY

"-It would be my daily driver for now. Work commute is 70 miles round trip at 90% highway
-I drive 15,000-20,000 miles/year"

OP's Words.

Buy at vehicle that "meats" your needs for 70 miles a day commute, 90% highway and 15K-20K miles a year. Not the other 10%!

You don't need a DIESEL to that.

You already own a vehicle that will do the 90% discussed above AND the other 10% can be a compromise when you need it. After owning 3 Jeeps you already have a far more capable vehicle to do what you want than you really need.

Sounds like once again you want something NEW and the idea of a "Bigger Vehicle" is a good way to justify in your mind that change to a diesel powered vehicle and the costs that go with that change.

Stay with a GAS vehicle set up for your 90% driving needs!

I definitely do just want a new vehicle/build. I do know that the full size truck would be much more comfortable for the commute and long road trips. I don't think anyone that has owned jeeps would argue that. I would more than likely pick up a cheap commuter car in the not so distant future too (Civic or the like), but for now the truck would be double duty. I've had an f150 and know for sure that it was much more comfortable with the size and size and space for myself and gear. The diesel would also get better gas mileage and where I am, diesel isn't that much more costly than regular gas right now. I really feel like the diesel would do it all pretty damn well. But you are 100% correct in that I definitely don't NEED a diesel, and could get by with the jeep aside from the camper idea. From the long list of vehicles in your sig, it looks like you like to try new rides like most of us on here probably do

BTW- I don't mean to come across like I'm not taking into account what you're saying about diesels. Obviously you've owned both types and that's exactly why I posted here- to get opinions from guys that have actually used diesels. So thanks for the reply and info1

Last edited:
I'm a first time diesel owner, 2014 ram 2500, and I love it so far. I'm a bit apprehensive about repairs cost, but so far maintenance hasn't been bad.

One of the things I didn't think about before purchase was actually buying fuel for it. Around here not every station has diesel, and most only have one or two pumps. If there isn't a line of work trucks waiting to get fuel, then there is some idiot blocking the pump. Its not bad, its just annoying having to plan around it. If I had a gasser I could stop in at any pump, at any station, although I'd have to. Being able to stop at truck stops and use the big pumps is nice though. If your in the boonies, you might have to vet your fuel stops a bit more to make sure they have diesel available.

The same year gas truck outfitted the same way has a 1000lb more payload capacity.

Otherwise the truck is great, has great range on a tank, tons of power, and the exhaust break is awesome.

Kevin

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
After owning and traveling with a diesel for more than a decade myself, I can say the fuel availability can be a problem.

Yes, you can plan around it, to a point. But some of our "regular" runs deep into North Idaho wilderness stretches the limits of our fuel reserves.
Its not your average run, though I'm sure there are many regions of the country that are similar....
its nearly 500 miles round trip from the nearest diesel pump into the wilderness.
Sticking to the main routes never causes a problem, but had I ever have to detour for some reason, I would be in trouble.
Had it been a gasser, no problems, as every little town we go thru, including the last one before we hit dirt has gas.

That said, for most vehicle comparisons, and most people, I see the fuel availability as a simple trade-off for fuel MPG and range.
The MPG gap has closed a bit in the last decade or so between gasser and diesel, but gassers will never see the MPG a diesel will.

Our new truck is a gasser (6.2 ford), and in order to maintain the range we have become accustomed to with the old truck, I am fitting an aux tank within the custom flatbed.
Even @ my projected 10-12MPG for the new truck, Ill have a range of a touch more than 500 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior