Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

GreggNY

So I've been researching a ton on the gas vs diesel debate, and don't want to turn this into that. I'm more looking for experiences from actual guys using the diesels for overlanding/expedition trips. I'm going back and forth between a '17 or newer F250 or a '16 and up Ram 2500. Any regrets going the diesel route?

My reasons (positives) for wanting a diesel:
-Mileage range for longer trips
-Not taking as big a mpg hit after level (leaning towards Carli), and 35s or 37s
-Possibly going with a drop in camper down the line (FWC)
-It would be my daily driver for now. Work commute is 70 miles round trip at 90% highway, so should be plenty of driving to work the motor/blow out crap/regen/etc
-I drive 15,000-20,000 miles/year
-More power is never a bad thing and I've always wanted to try a diesel

Common negatives:
-Higher maintenance costs. This doesn't seem like a huge deal to me at all. Everyone complains about DEF costs which seems like the cheapest thing to even bring up when spending this kind of money on a truck. Oil changes are more expensive but less often. Fuel filters. All said and done, maybe a few hundred bucks a year, which doesn't seem terrible to me given the positives.
-More expensive repairs. I'm looking at '16 or newer trucks so warranty will still be in effect, and several are certified pre owned so have extended warranties. In the past 3 wranglers, none have had to go to the dealer for any work, so maybe I'll get lucky with the truck too. I've done all the work and maintenance to the jeeps myself and planning on doing most/all of the truck work too.
-Higher initial cost. Yes, more expensive but also higher trade in value. So again not a huge deal

The past 3 vehicles I've had have been wranglers, and all have served me well, but I'm wanting a full size for more comfort, size and power. This truck will also see a couple trips per year from NY to the west (CO/UT/MT/WY). Any feedback from the diesel owners would be great. My current jeep from this past year's trip to Colorado:

dreadlocks

my only regret going diesel is now I'll forever be unsatisfied with gasoline power and diesel's future is bleak.. I'm just hoping that when I drive my current rig into the ground there will be something worthy to replace it thats newer.

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve owned 7 ram trucks, 6 diesel, all 2500 or 3500. I prefer a diesel truck since I tow and haul often. I also Daly drive my truck on 37 inch tires and it gets better fuel economy than a gasser on 37’s. For me a diesel truck works and makes sense more than a gasser. Maintenance is higher on a diesel, however if you follow the factory recommend interval it’s not that bad, for example cummins has a 15k oil change interval along with both fuel filters. I change my oil every 5k and fuel filters at 10k, that’s overkill. I buy rotella and a fleetgaurd filter, it’s not to bad if you do it yourself. I just got back on a trip I with my wife, we got 17 mpg on my truck with some gear, you won’t get that in a gasser truck.

Explorerinil

Observer
Af far as ford vs ram cummins, you can see what I prefer. Ford for years had junk for Diesel engines with the exception of the 7.3, it was decent. Ford has finally upped their game and has a decent engine again, however it’s no cummins.

Drive both and see what you prefer.

Yamadog77

I agree with Dreadlocks, I’ve never been satisfied going back to a gas truck. Had a 1998 24v Cummins for about 12 years, tried out a tundra crew max for a couple years and went back to a 2013 Ram. I love these diesels.

The range on a tank of fuel for me is about 500 miles, which is pretty nice IMO.

I do most of my own maintenance, like mentioned, using Rotella synthetic and fleet guard filter every 7500mi or so. Oil change and fuel filters are easy on these trucks.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
First time diesel owner here, and other than the additional up front cost, I love it. The additional maintenance has proven not to be a huge deal, just a few more bucks out of pocket as you said. Otherwise, the positives in my experience have outweighed the negatives. That said, if you dont intend to keep it for a while or tow/haul with some frequency, the gas engines in the HD trucks have adequate power.

Well, that and you can't get that beautiful diesel pure in a gas engine.

GreggNY

my only regret going diesel is now I'll forever be unsatisfied with gasoline power and diesel's future is bleak.. I'm just hoping that when I drive my current rig into the ground there will be something worthy to replace it thats newer.
I’m agree with Dreadlocks, I’ve never been satisfied going back to a gas truck. Had a 1998 24v Cummins for about 12 years, tried out a tundra crew max for a couple years and went back to a 2013 Ram. I love these diesels.

The range on a tank of fuel for me is about 500 miles, which is pretty nice IMO.

I do most of my own maintenance, like mentioned, using Rotella synthetic and fleet guard filter every 7500mi or so. Oil change and fuel filters are easy on these trucks.

Thanks for the replies! Exactly what I was thinking and hoping to hear.

GreggNY

Af far as ford vs ram cummins, you can see what I prefer. Ford for years had junk for Diesel engines with the exception of the 7.3, it was decent. Ford has finally upped their game and has a decent engine again, however it’s no cummins.

Drive both and see what you prefer.
I’m agree with Dreadlocks, I’ve never been satisfied going back to a gas truck. Had a 1998 24v Cummins for about 12 years, tried out a tundra crew max for a couple years and went back to a 2013 Ram. I love these diesels.

The rams seem like a solid platform from most of what I've heard. The 3500 isn't out of the question for me either since the added payload would be nice with the weight hit from the Cummins. Do you feel like you needed to re-gear with the 37" Toyos? Or was it more of just a 'better' situation?

Navion65t

I’ve got an 18 Cummins with the g56 manual and a manual t-case. Love it. Last year for a full size truck with a manual. Previous posters are correct - the only problem is once you have them, you don’t want anything else. If you’ve ever towed with a 3/4 ton diesel...well it’s just made for it. The truck feels more complete with a trailer really. I know that’s not what you were getting at though.

I had an 02 7.3 manual that I had bought new and had for many years, but sold because I “really didn’t need a diesel anymore. “ I got by with gas trucks fine of course for several years after that, but couldn’t get the diesel and heavier duty truck out of my head, especially when I hooked a trailer up.

I feel like the 1/2 ton trucks are so compromised now they don’t feel like trucks anymore, which is fine with most people and that’s great. 8 speed automatics, that stupid engine start/stop thing....

Sure, DEF. whatever. $10 a month or so. I can live with it. I drive about the same amount, 20k a year. I’ve done one fuel filter change myself - dealer wanted $350.

You won’t regret diesel.
44937f113bd9c6cdd36e2c8f9fab93ba.jpg

Sorry don’t have any epic pictures of my truck yet :) will next month though, heading on a long trip out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Diesel owners will always argue their reasoning why and how it works for them And thats totally fine.

But running by the numbers, diesels are a VERY hard sell anymore. And for most, its not the investment that it used to be.

As mentioned by at least one person above, really the only thing you will miss going gasser if you have ever had a modern diesel is the power.
Beyond that, nothing missed.

09Busaman

I am on my 4th superduty and this is my first F350 single rear wheel. The truck is amazing and so far done everything i have asked of it. The only way I will go back to a gasser is with an SUV or smaller truck as I do like the taco's, but for a full size truck the superduty does it for me. Oil changes are 149 at my local dealer when it needs it. I also did a level kit and am running 35's, all is well. It can handle 37's, but I didnt want to chance having issues with wear and mileage. Seems every time I modify a truck I never stop and then trade it, this one is staying relatively where it is from a suspension stand point and I plan to drive it till it wont drive anymore. Good luck in your hunt, I dont believe you will regret it, any of the new trucks and you cant go wrong.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nothing you mentioned requires the risk of owning a diesel. Mileage hit for tires is about the same, 1-2 mpg, gas or diesel. An FWC isn't jack diddly for load.

Extra maintenance costs with the diesel are negligible. But paying $9000 extra for the engine, then $12,000 for repairs............I can get a brand new V4 Ducati Panigale S for that!

You also have a third option. The new big block gas Ford coming soon. I'm not missing any power with the 6.2. Just don't fear the gear, and power is fine.

Diesel 250 is too tight for many campers. Consider going 350 instead, or gas.

chet6.7

Explorer
-Possibly going with a drop in camper down the line (FWC)

View attachment 516514
I suggest you go to a 3500 if a slide in camper is something you may eventually want.The payload of a diesel 2500 does not leave a lot of room to spare.... bigger tires,bigger shocks,bumpers,battery banks,recovery gear, ect. it adds up fast,then add that 2K lb camper and supplies.[/QUOTE]

Adventurous

Explorer
If you want max payload for a 3/4 or 1-ton, you must go gasser.
No way around that.

Not necessarily true. Per the RAM literature, at least for the 2017 model year, a lot of the gas models (3500s) have payloads that are equal to or not that much different than the diesels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles