Diesel for overlanding- are you happy with the choice?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Do note that the chart does not include break-down maintenance/repairs.

If you pencil the operating numbers w/o repairs the cost difference is very close.

Once you factor in repairs, things are very different, and certainly in favor of a gasser.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Most Fleet operators are trading in or selling vehicles before they hit 100-150,000 miles. If anyone's buying a truck expecting keep it longer than that, take note that many diesels particularly those with DPF /SCR systems encounter costly repairs approaching that mileage.

The cost of Ownership in that article takes into account resale. due to inflation you're actually losing money in the unless you get significantly more than the initial increase for the diesel engine at resale.

With 7 Speed transmissions in many new vehicles there is little argument for the torque boost. Besides high levels of torque mean heavier transmissions and driveline.

Note that they're not counting the cost of repairs especially at high mileage. For example price out a set of injectors or new DPF.

I just don't see any significant benefit based on this analysis.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Is it true that before driving to Mexico one needs to install a special kit for fuel filtering in the diesel truck, especially the 2005+ ones?

P.S. always wanted to have a diesel truck and visit Baja California.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That 7.3 liter gas ford sounds sweet, 445 CID clean sheet design for brute torque and truck durability...I think that is going to be an awesome motor... wait until someone puts a supercharger on it... that will be serious fun...

No doubt it will be an animal. But I'm holding out for MPG numbers.
I cannot imagine it getting anywhere near the fuel mileage the 6.2 does.

The 10-speed trans will help.... but there's no free lunch. Big torque means thirstier.

nickw

Adventurer
Perceived performance can be deceiving.. loud noises can make you feel like your going faster than you are.. so can torque

The 2500 6.4 Hemi gasser specs out at 7.7 sec 0-60, diesel 8.8 ...0-60...
+1....HP is all you really need to focus on relative to capability and performance. Of course a diesel may work at a lower RPM, better MPG, smoother, less stressed and have better gear holding capability, but any Gas engine, HP for HP, will pull the same load and likely have better performance empty vs diesel.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Is it true that before driving to Mexico one needs to install a special kit for fuel filtering in the diesel truck, especially the 2005+ ones?

P.S. always wanted to have a diesel truck and visit Baja California.
No, in fact much of Mexico is reportedly ulsd. I would suggest some models get a higher capacity water separator, but most trucks are already fine.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My guess is for a 12,000# overlanding rig, this 7.3 liter gasser, with a 10 speed tranny will be a perfect motor, simply perfect... it will even be in the e350 chassis... along with the super duty line... a great replacement for the 6.8 v10 and all but the heaviest of loads...

No doubt it will be a good motor. None at all.
Good points about the heavier applications.
My points were certainly for the "lighter" applications,
as in the vast majority of the RV truck camper scene, as well as much of the domestic Expo scene.

I can see the 7.3 taking hold in the MDT sector, as well as big motorhomes, buses, etc.
It very well will be the "new" big block 460 of old.

As such, the 6.2 will pretty much be the new 351W.
You know, the motor that us old farts that are never in a big rush love. :LOL:

But time will tell. Definitely an exciting time for Ford

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That was not my experience on my trip in 2015.. perhaps things have changed.. when I went, not only was in not ulsd (I only had to fill up a few hours south, so I can’t speak to border areas), but there was no def fluid.. anywhere.. not even the ford dealer in Cabo.. I had to order it in and it took a week.. and about an hour to explain what I needed
Def is Still hard to find, however Pemex has made the switch over and much of Mexico now has low sulfur diesel. The switchover was a bit rocky.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
According to pemex the switchover is complete. Folks have brought back fuel samples ranging from five to 500 miles from the USA border and confirm that they are ulsd.

Last edited:
It would if it was true.

But its not.

Typical MPG difference between modern gasser and modern diesel is less than 4-5 MPG

Simple example.... 2011 Super duty

6.2 Gasser 10-12MPG average
6.7 Diesel 14-16MPG average

So more like a 25% difference.

Far cry from your 50%

FYI, the Ram 6.4 gasser vs 6.7 Cummins comparison is nearly the same.

Where are you getting the numbers for the Ram trucks? I know most are claiming 10-12mpg for the 6.4 around town, and I'm in the 16-18mpg range with the cummins. Yes, 4-5mpg difference, but definately not the same. Based on my old gasser chevy 6.0 truck, the difference increases with load or distance on the highway.

Kevin

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
4 mpg won't pay for a metering valve replacement, when the dealers moron technician skips that $250 part, and replaces the whole fuel system after denying warranty coverage because his safety glasses fogged up. It's nice though, up until that point.

Wake me up when dealers start training their master techs diesel technology.

My local dealer needs me to schedule a week in advance, to get the truck on a rack, so that he can determine that a hole in my midpipe, is actually a hole in my midpipe. Then he can order parts that'll take two weeks to get in, then waste another day of my time actually putting in the mid pipe. Can't just eyeball the obvious hole, and order parts so that they're in stock for my appointment.

If they can't do simple exhaust maintenance in a timely fashion, forget about accurate diesel engine diagnosis.

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
Where are you getting the numbers for the Ram trucks? I know most are claiming 10-12mpg for the 6.4 around town, and I'm in the 16-18mpg range with the cummins. Yes, 4-5mpg difference, but definately not the same. Based on my old gasser chevy 6.0 truck, the difference increases with load or distance on the highway.

Kevin

There is also quite the difference at the pump. I remember when diesel was cheaper than gas but those days are long gone. Considering it's cheaper to produce diesel than gas, this shows you how much we are getting screwed by big oil taking very healthy profits. As a result it's gas from here on out for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94