Diesel engine sources, anybody know of an importer?

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
basically I think i may have decided to start researching converting my 4runner to a diesel, but I want everybodys opinion on this, 3.0TD out of an 01 hilux or hilux-surf.

but I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that would import these engines and sell them?

or if there was a way to do this myself?

and does anyone know the specs on the 3.0TD?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Jarco half cuts:
http://www.jarcoinc.com/

You are thinking of a 1KZ-TE?
Specs:
4 cylinder, Turbo Diesel
Bore = 96 mm
Stroke = 103 mm
Compression ratio = 21.2:1
130HP@3600rpm
Torque = 212lb-ft@2000rpm
Redline = 4400 rpm

Last edited:

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I was just researchng this same topic the other day for my gen 1 4runner. I found so go info and places to by the diesel engine on 4x4wire.com
I didn't same the link though. As I find out more I will post it for you.

DaveInDenver

lionsbreath said:
I was just researchng this same topic the other day for my gen 1 4runner. I found so go info and places to by the diesel engine on 4x4wire.com
I didn't same the link though. As I find out more I will post it for you.
What engine does your 4Runner have currently? If it's a 22R/-E, the 2L-T/TE is the best choice. It literally bolts right in to the existing motor mount locations (different mounts AFAIK, tho) and no other driveline changes or relocations are necessary.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
DaveInDenver said:
Jarco half cuts:
http://www.jarcoinc.com/

You are thinking of a 1KZ-TE?
Specs:
4 cylinder, Turbo Diesel
Bore = 96 mm
Stroke = 103 mm
Compression ratio = 21.2:1
130HP@3600rpm
Torque = 212lb-ft@2000rpm
Redline = 4400 rpm

hmm wow 130 from my 185 and 212 from my 220. hmm well if i could do some mods to this engine to get around 230hp and 350tq that would be worth it but doesnt look like it is.

DaveInDenver

neliconcept said:
hmm wow 130 from my 185 and 212 from my 220. hmm well if i could do some mods to this engine to get around 230hp and 350tq that would be worth it but doesnt look like it is.
That was my conclusion and decided to just rebuild my 22R-E... You will notice that the torque peak is about 2000 RPM lower than a gas engine, which makes them a better off highway mill. Thing is the 1KZ-TE is already a turbo charged engine and there isn't a whole lot of experience here in the USA on how to tune them much. Not to mention that parts will be a pain, everything will have to be shipped up from Oz or Japan or something. At least the 2L was imported for a few year and so the North American parts system has the hooks for the parts and they can be ordered.

Clutch

<---Pass
I came to that conclusion as well...not worth the swap. I think when the time comes, I'll do another 3.4 with a super charger. Or buy another truck completely. A fullsize with a diesel...who knows, with the way I change my mind all of the time.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
does the 1kzte = 3L or no? i heard the 3L have a good power ratio.

my brother tunes a lot of diesel trucks, may be different on a toy motor but i think it can be done.

im gonna keep this option open for the most part. for one my bro is teaching me how to make bio fuel, so that would benefit me money wise.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
That was my conclusion and decided to just rebuild my 22R-E... You will notice that the torque peak is about 2000 RPM lower than a gas engine, which makes them a better off highway mill. Thing is the 1KZ-TE is already a turbo charged engine and there isn't a whole lot of experience here in the USA on how to tune them much. Not to mention that parts will be a pain, everything will have to be shipped up from Oz or Japan or something. At least the 2L was imported for a few year and so the North American parts system has the hooks for the parts and they can be ordered.
Same exact deal with me. I live 30 minutes from Jarco and between the power issue and finding parts in the US I just rebuilt the 22RE.

DaveInDenver

neliconcept said:
There is a 3L engine and a 3.0 liter engine (the 1KZ). The 3L is a 2.8 liter naturally aspirated engine, made about 90 HP and 135 ft-lb of torque. With a turbo, it could do better obviously. IMO the 2L and variants (2L-T turbo and 2L-TE turbo with electronic controls) make sense mainly because of their compatibility with the 22R mounting (the blocks share exactly their mounting dimensions) and some limited availability of domestic parts. If you have to custom install, the 1KZ is a much better engine I guess with at least a few people here in the USA who have done the swap. Toyota also makes the D-4D, which is a common rail turbo diesel that is the current engine in Hiluxs and the like. None in the USA AFAIK yet. The 3.0 liter D-4D is a turbo, makes about 170 HP and 253 lb-ft. There is a 2.5 liter version that does 120 HP and 240 lb-ft of torque. The D-4D is going to be very hard to find here and seeing how the 1KZ-TE is about $5,000 for a half cut, I'd imagine the D-4D half cuts will be stupid expensive.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I think G&S can get half cuts, and those guys are awesome and I definetely 100% recommend them, but the guys at dieseltoyz.com exclusively uses half cuts to get the complete harnesses and all other required parts (gauges, etc). He does really clean work. You can also probably get one from him too..

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Also I hate the 2J with a passion. It is unreliable and it is actually very hard to get parts for. The biggest issue is the reliability of the injection pump, beside it being totally gutless. They also have chronic head gasket issues. I would take a 22R over a 2L honestly, probably... Even the 2L-T is gutless... The 1KZs seem pretty cool though. I talked to the dieseltoyz guy extensively and he does good work and is definetely very knowlegble. Hope it helps...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
neliconcept said:

my brother tunes a lot of diesel trucks, may be different on a toy motor but i think it can be done.

im gonna keep this option open for the most part. for one my bro is teaching me how to make bio fuel, so that would benefit me money wise.
Yep... IKZ's are 3.0L I4 Turbo Diesel's. THe E denotes the elecreonic fuel management/or injection I belive???

Man, if you do this I am gonna be forever jealous... I'm getting ready to throw a brand new 22RE in my runner, but I was SERIOUSLY knocking around the IKZ idea. Great motor for a Runner IMO. I'll tell you it's not an easy or cheap swap. I just couldn't justify the dough. Maybe some day.

DO IT!!!!

Cheers

DAve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier