Diesel engine options for classic Range Rover

Roverchef

Adventurer
I've done the 200/300TDI, 2.8 Cummins, OM617, and the 4BT swap into RR Classic, Defenders, Disco's, and even a Lightweight for different clients over the years and the most bang for the buck in the end was the 4BT if you can handle the rattle of an old style mechanical diesel. 4BT/NV3500/LT230 in a D2 was the most pleasurable to drive out of all of them and returned 28-35mpg @ 65-70mph. You can build that entire drivetrain for under $10k and that's using new and reman stuff...not used salvage yard items. Good luck

REDROVER

Explorer
Can 300 TDi be upgraded to produce slightly more power?

I have never driven diesel Land Rover,
Let me ask this,
Can 300 TDi powered Range Rover comfortably drive at 70 mph on flat roads and 50 on up hills ?

Is it a reliable motor?

If I do 300 TDi, can I keep the zf 22 and the LT230?

the situation is I can afford Cummins new motor, but I don’t wanna cut my rover and put mixed parts that don’t fit properly, if 300 TDi will be better fit with slightly less power that may be better option I guess.

this Range Rover will not be daily driver, it’s my expedition vehicle, but to get to the locations unfortunately we are forced to drive on paved roads that may require 70 mph.
( well actually we have done Southern California to Idaho trip in a H1 Hummer Using 1% pavement only to refuel but it took us 10 days, well worth it, lots and lots of zigzag driving to avoid pavement)

what would be the mpg on the TDI Rover ?

I appreciate all your help.

polksfinest

Observer
RedRover I have done the 6.5 in a disco 2 and a 1.9 tdi as well as the om603 and I love the om603 the best at first I hated it but after I had the pump rebuilt with larger elements and added a HX35 turbo it was a whole different animal the only thing I had trouble with was the adapter I ended up making two of them

Timo K

Observer
I drive a 300Tdi Defender, I have a larger intercooler and a variable geometry turbo and it does have decent power for what it is. Even with a roof rack packed with a spare wheel, oztent and loads of other stuff I could easily hit 80 on flat roads (horrible noise though, thank god for noise cancelling headphones...), I think a RRC will do fine with slightly better aerodynamics etc.

lwg

IMO a 300TDI RRC will retain more value than any other conversion. At least right now. The 300 can bolt up to your existing trans with a different torque converter, or you can move to a manual like many others have. It’s a very straightforward conversion and can make good power with amazing mileage to boot. Really surprised there aren’t many more comments about this here. I’m guessing most of the people who have converted these must be on other social mediums these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swedjen

So, who here has been able to register in California an early '90's RRC with a diesel conversion?

Bueller?
Bueller?

1range

Adventurer
My classic has a R2.8 in it and I love it! Enough power and I’m sure we will be able to find some more later ;)

REDROVER

Explorer
I have shifted my attention slightly towards OME 617 Mercedes engine.
I have been working with a company who is gonna help me develop simple adapter plate to mount LT230 behind Mercedes transmission.
my plan is not to change move back or front) the original location of the transfer case.

The reason I changed my attention towards 617 is that, I emaild 3 different companies that deal with 300tdi and none of them even replied back or have phones numbers to contact
I don’t wanna deal with that in a long term.

617 is very easily available in USA,
It’s reliable,
And simple.

olyller

Robert has mentioned that in a Classic or D1, this conversion can be difficult. What did you come up with?

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The 617 TD is a good lump. Nice torque. Get an early US spec one, proper million mile engine and easy to tune than later. Don't expect stupid high race car bhp figures though, it's not happening.

What transmission are you bolting it to?

If you change your mind on the 300 and you bolt to an auto, its a world of pain. Different valving, stall and torque converter between V8 and 300. Also the 300 ideally needs to be fitted with EDC ( simple electronic management system, that actually works very well, gives more power and works well with the auto)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles