Diesel engine options for classic Range Rover

REDROVER

Explorer
Guys I need some knowledge on some Diesel engines I am not familiar with to be possible candidates for my classic rover,

My classic currently has 245k miles, it’s a California vehicle, not one single spot of rust, still original paint and runs great,
However I know that running great is temporary for those motors at that mileage.

I am planning on putting diesel in there when time comes but I would like to choose the right motor and start getting parts ready,

I have done 6.2 diesel before in my previous classic rover, it run very well it was also super reliable, but definitely Rover didn’t like the weight of that motor.

This time I am looking at 3 diesel options.
Mercedes 300 from 93 and up
Land Rover 300 TDi
Or Volvo diesel.

Anyone has knowledge on those motors?
Motor has to be at least near powerful as the original v8.
Will Land Rover 300 got in there without any major mods?

Tnx for the help.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
The obvious CA issues aside....

Depending on model year (you did not specify), the 300Tdi is a bolt in I think. Also you are probably aware of the fact that the 300Tdi is not the same HP as your existing V8. But if it was me I would go for the easiest swap, likely the 300 LR motor.

Red90

Adventurer
Here’s some options if you decide you don’t want diesel and would rather swap in a commonly available American V8.

That is not where you would go if wanting to put in another V8. You would go here: https://rw-eng.com/

Back to the options. You won’t be happy with the TDI. The rest are complex conversions and costly to do properly. If you need to ask on the internet they are probably beyond your abilities.

REDROVER

Explorer
Yeah I think tdi would be the best option,

I can put LS1 motor but I don’t want gasoline option.

are there different types of Land Rover 300 TDI?
Brand new rebuild motor with everything ready to be dropped including shipping 5800 bucks

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Having had both Petrol & diesel RRS's, I suggest you forget the diesel.

I have had the famous Mazda 3500 SLT for about 1,000,000 kms (or 650,000 miles in your money) and that is the only engine that will take a V8 head on and last a very, very long time. Fitting is not too complicated, done it several times in about 2 days and it is a very, very good engine. However , there is always an however, these engine are getting old, parts are not easy and diesel just is not ideal for the RRC.

The 200 / 300 Tdinwork fine but only without a trailer and they will not really make the RRC fly. Both BMW and Merc engines will go in but the ECU controlled pumps can be a bit of an handful. Several people fitted Cummins.

But the main question, apart from CA specific issues, is : Why ?

What problem are you trying to solve..

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I'm going to be facetious but I want to hammer this point home...

for ~$10,000-$12,000 more, you can get 100 more lb/ft of torque? An R2.8 is cool if you just don't care about saving money.

REDROVER

Explorer
Why do I want diesel ?
I drive mechanical turbo diesel H1 Hummer,
No check engine light,
No ECU
No air flow meter
No electronic module
No coil
No bulshit to go wrong
START AND GO.

My rover dashboard is like Christmas tree with every light you can imagine, if I am going to replace the motor, I want mechanical turbo diesel.

Cummins is good but I can’t justify 12 grand investment.
I understand diesel rover won’t be a corvette,
It’s gonna be slow, but at the same time I don’t want it to be Ford model A slow lol

What kind of transmission was used on TDi 300 ? Was it ZF 22 with different torture converter ?

jgdisco2

Adventurer
I'm not sure why so many are crabby on the TDI, I have a friend who did a 300 swap in his D1 and absolutely loves it. Sounds like the OP knows what he's dealing with concerning the diesel motor options. I know the v8 may have more power but man the 300 off road is amazing! Also except for different motor mounts and a couple minor things, it's drop in and go. I will be going to a TD5 when my pennies are saved up...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I'm going to be facetious but I want to hammer this point home...

for ~$10,000-$12,000 more, you can get 100 more lb/ft of torque? An R2.8 is cool if you just don't care about saving money.

When your starting from a "existing engine is done" standpoint you're now looking at the cost of a 300tdi + conversion kit at roughly $5K or the 2.8L Cummins at roughly $10K. The delta is not $10K, more in the range of $5K for 50% more torque. Yes, it is more expensive but if you're keeping the vehicle forever the added expense might be worth it. Everybody has a difference pain tolerance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior