Diesel Disco II conversion

polksfinest

Observer
IMG_1098.jpg IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1109.jpg IMG_1111 (1).jpg

After I got the converter squared away I packaged it up and sent it to Florida torque converter to have the stall lowered to 1200 from 1800 which is the converter they use in the p38 according Dave at Ashcroft and to get it balanced. I had asked him to send me pics of the process as I was going to include them in the write up I am doing to document this process

IMG_1184.jpg IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg IMG_1193.jpg

He was really nice about doing this custom converter for me and the price was not that bad either it only cost about 550 including shipping

polksfinest

Observer
But they are hard to find over here and the cost of shipping all of the components that are required to convert the US spec one's is over 5000.00, to get a under powered diesel that is marginally better not to mention if you ever needed parts they would be hard to find in the US. The 6.2 was a global seller and that fact makes its parts cheaper than land rover's (surplus HMMWV motors go for 500.00 the 180hp ones) not to mention I will have about half of the land rover conversion cost in this swap

DiscoDavis

Explorer
But they are hard to find over here and the cost of shipping all of the components that are required to convert the US spec one's is over 5000.00, to get a under powered diesel that is marginally better not to mention if you ever needed parts they would be hard to find in the US. The 6.2 was a global seller and that fact makes its parts cheaper than land rover's (surplus HMMWV motors go for 500.00 the 180hp ones) not to mention I will have about half of the land rover conversion cost in this swap

If you are talking about the Td5 (the only diesel motor fitted to Discovery 2), I politely disagree that it is underpowered. I could see if you're referencing a base tune 200 or 300tdi (again, never fitted to Discovery 2), but what's odd is those have more common parts here than Td5, and getting parts these days isn't even that bad... we don't pay UK VAT. Underpowered perhaps for the larger and heavier Land Rover variants of the time, but even multi tonne 110, 127, 130's got away with Tdi's and even the boat anchor 19J's in ridiculous places and worked alright.

My comment is just to address that just because we didn't get the diesels doesn't mean they didn't exist already and were quite good (London to Cape Town record held by one). Very much like your thread and work thus far, did not intend to insinuate the old "you should have done this instead... used x motor... etc.". I like the 6.2 as well.

:)

polksfinest

Observer
I was referring to the 300 with the fact that it is us EPA exempt as the td5 is not so when I get the vin changed. In NC the motor has to be EPA compliant I spent a lot of time researching what was legal to do and because Land Rover would not issue me a letter that states that the td5 was sold in the US market NC DOT would not issue me a correct title. They do inspections here threw the obd2 port and the vin in the ecu has to match the truck don't worry I did not take it that way I really wanted a td5 but could not find the loophole to do such Several Land Rovers where impounded by the EPA for the non compliant engine

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I was referring to the 300 with the fact that it is us EPA exempt as the td5 is not so when I get the vin changed. In NC the motor has to be EPA compliant I spent a lot of time researching what was legal to do and because Land Rover would not issue me a letter that states that the td5 was sold in the US market NC DOT would not issue me a correct title. They do inspections here threw the obd2 port and the vin in the ecu has to match the truck don't worry I did not take it that way I really wanted a td5 but could not find the loophole to do such Several Land Rovers where impounded by the EPA for the non compliant engine

Right, I see what you're saying. Few years before the Td5 would be EPA legal

polksfinest

Observer
Hey does anybody know if the pressure regulator on the valve body has a relief valve and is the Pressure regulating solenoid valve (MV 4) normally open or closed I am trying to increase line pressure to increase holding capacity

polksfinest

Observer
So if anyone one is interested I talked to the guys at compushift and (who where awesome to talk to) I was told how the pressure regulating valve works. It takes a square wave signal whose pulse width controls the bleed off of the main pressure so if I shim the spring in the main pressure relief valve it will raise the system pressure then I can intercept the pwm signal via pin 5 on the Tcm to adjust it to my liking if it starts to slip I can just lower the pwm signal I hope that this is enough to make the transmission last I am going to do some more research to see if I need to in large any of the holes in the valve body to increase flow to the pistons in the clutch packs which is a common thing to do when you install a shift kit. Now back to work

polksfinest

Observer
well have had to take a break on this project to work on the electronics and I have just about got it whooped here are a few pics of that processIMG_1200.JPGIMG_1220.JPGIMG_1234.JPG
I had to remove the wiring harness to strip all the unused wires into the cab that will be terminated into the box that is going to handle all of the com's between the diesel and the land rover ecu
IMG_1235.JPG
this is all that is needed to run the land rover and keep the ecu happy the rest of the signals are derived from these inputs
IMG_1272.JPG
dash all back in and this is the extent of what is going to my box
while I had the interior out I sprayed some lizard skin sound and heat control
IMG_1249.JPG
I also put some on the fire wall as these motors are LOUD
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG

polksfinest

Observer
here are some more of the process of reproducing the signals that the land rover want to seeIMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1398.JPGIMG_1397.JPGIMG_1396.JPGIMG_1391.JPGScreenshot (19).pngScreenshot (21).png
this is a screen shot of the reproduced crank and cam signal

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
looking good. I'm just about to start removing my 6.2 right now. My new 6.5L with center mount turbo is arriving tomorrow.

polksfinest

Observer
I would love to see that when you get it put in the 6.2 I used was a hmmwv motor that had been converted by motor pool to a center mount when I got it but I could not get it to fit because of the height difference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles