Diesel Disco II conversion

Mbanzi

Very impressive! Are you using a microprocessor to convert the signals? If so what are you using? Doing all the coding yourself? Sorry for all the questions, but my engineering mind needs to know this stuff!

polksfinest

Observer
Yes I am using the PSOC 5, I am writing the code which has taken me the longest in part because I had to come up with an equation for each signal that is produced by the land rover engine. This allows me to play it threw a DAC which is controlled by the PSOC via inputs from the diesel engine, not to mention the other problems I had with all of the electrical noise that a cars wiring has when sampling the signals. I have kept a very detailed report of what this has cost and what circuits I have had to build and about 400 pages of code. If you are an engineer who has experience with circuits and signals the c code is not the bad part it is all of the math that is required to derive the equations. With that being said my first attempt was just recording the signal and saving it as a CSV file that was played back to the land rover ecm and it worked. I would randomly get faults that are unknown by my scanner due to the signal being a tad bit off in the length of it's period which over several loops of playing would get out of sink with the cam signal. The tach worked and the trans would shift fine but the whole point I tired to do all of this was to not have a check engine light and pass inspection. As it sits now I can pass the obd2 inspection ( I recorded the can bus signals during my last one so I know what it is looking for) If you want I can give you the code if you think you can use it

polksfinest

Observer
Now that I got the diesel tach sensor talking to the land rover ecu I had to come up with the other sensors that where needed to keep it happy IMG_1017.JPG
starting with the factory land rover coolant temp sensor I was struggling to find an adapter that went from pipe to metric without having to use two pieces so I made my own
IMG_1018.JPGIMG_1019.JPG
since both the coolant temp and oil pressure sensors are the same metric thread I made two of them from pipe plugs that I drilled and tapped. I also had to figure out a way to mount the Land Rover throttle postion sensor because the diesel one seen on the top was a totally not only in ohm range but it went backwards starting high and going low unlike the land rovers which has goes low to high. I was hoping for an off the shelf solution to make the trail repair easier but I have not found one yet but for the time being I made the land rover one work( I am still working on a way to use the diesel one )
IMG_1023.JPG IMG_1029.JPGIMG_1030.JPGIMG_1032.JPGIMG_1031.JPG
I glued on this cover to make it at least some what water proof
next I needed to make a plethora of brass fittings into a angled manifold that would allow me to mount the oil pressure sensor (land rover ) and an aftermarket one for my gauge pod as well as a feed point for the turbo
IMG_1050 (1).JPGI also had to build a throttle cable bracket since I switch to the dual thermostat housing for better cooling. The origanal one that works with the factory cable was no longer an option
IMG_1038 (1).JPG

polksfinest

Observer
Here's an update video
I still have a few bugs to work out like the big block Chevy motor mount kit I bought. The bushings that came with it have already split and cause the motor to drop down on the passenger side and the fuel pump which is a factory diesel one is really loud I have been trying to find a plumbing diagram for it but I have been unsuccessful
here is another video

polksfinest

Observer
I forgot to post the video of the Mercedes electric fan I used to cool it the ebay crap that I bought did not even come close to cutting it
Here are a couple of pics from the installIMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier