Diesel Comanche build

I haven't read the whole thread but there's quite a bit about biodiesel/WVO.
Oxidation products of WVO can and will cause lube oil to turn into tenacious goo, so if running WVO or even high biodiesel percentagtes be sure to change the oil more frequently. This has been a cause of engine failures in engines run on WVO.

Charlie

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Blakeape, I haven't been able to work on the jeep for a while now, I am in Texas for work for a while. I was able to drive it before leaving MT but only up to 45 mph because it still has short arms on it and the death wobble was terrible. Acceleration was impressive and almost as good as my 4.0 HO in my '92. I hope to be back in Montana before the winter hits. I'm stuck driving my TJ here in Texas and definitely miss the Comanche's.

Jeepdreamer, I have been following that build for while, Thanks

Postal wagon the bench seat is factory, I'm not sure on the exact dimensions.

And, thanks Charlie I will probably eventually do the WVO thing so I'll keep that in mind

88Xj

Banned
Still in Texas brother? Hope to hear from you soon! Been itching for updates but life always gets in the way.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
The MJ is looking sweet. love the Diesel :) My friend put the 5 cyl Mercades turbo diesel out of a 80's sedan into his CJ-7. He hand made the bell housing and clutch to mate a AX-15 5 speed to it, then he fabbed up an adapter to mount the dana 300 indexed flat behind that. Running 33's and 373 gears it got 29 MPG right out the box. His turbo didn't spool fast enough to keep it in the power range so he went down to 456 gears, the milage is about the same and it runs great.

He also has the same MJ as you, was a 86 2.8L 5 Spedd long bed, he put a Camaro 3.4L into it. It's getting 20 plus mpg and runs great too.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Nothing new on this Jeep unfortunately. I haven't even seen it since October. I'm finally getting my life together again to where I can have all my Jeeps in one place. All this Jeep needs is for me to build the front long arms and the rear bumper/rear lights. Been driving my '92 MJ all over some great trails in Montana and Wyoming though.

Cheers

IMAG0301.jpg

rjz5400

updates?

I see how old this thread is, surely something has happened with the MJ?

Please continue with this very valuable thread and pics!!

Thanks for the info and sharing your work so far

R

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Just now Came across your thread. You should come down and adventure through the Bighorns and Pryors for a week!

arto_wa

Hi all,
I am newbie to this forum.

Thank you Gaucho 919 for very interesting story!

I have these "projects" gathering dust:
89 Cherokee 4x4 with so-so 4.0 engine, but a good solid body needing a paint job.
90 Cherokee 4x4 with recently fully rebuilt 4.0 engine, but rear ended damaged body.
80 Mercedes 300SD with very good sound engine but body with some rust damage in the rocker panels (exposed to salty winter roads in it's earlier life!).

I have being toying for some quite time with idea of installing the 617.950 Turbo Diesel engine to the 89 Cherokee and find this very interesting thread!

One of my concerns is how to make the AW4 control work?

I am familiar with the RADesigns Products manual "AT shift" and it could be the way to go?

Any updates on your Comanche?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz