Diesel #1, #2, 50/50, and additives

Chorky

Observer
Ok lets talk fuel - diesel specifically. Last winter, in Montana of all places, I have realized several stations still use #2 even in dead of winter - which is a nono for older trucks especially. Further, many attendants didn't know what fuel they had, or if they had additives. The stickers in some, though they say #2 most often, don't seem to be always accurate either - except for some cases where the prices reflected accurately enough.

Just today, I have only found 2 stations that could confirm for me that they actually carry #1, #2, 50/50 blend, and even add additives into #2 for winter. 3 other stations I called and visited stated they only carry #2 even in winter - which is really weird. However, many other stations closer to where I go cannot provide said info.

So the question is, unless someone has secret squirrel info on the know in this area, is it better to just use additives all winter unless I can specifically get #1? Further, correct me if I'm wrong but #1, for older trucks, requires a lubricant additive as it's lubricative properties are not as good as #2, correct?

I have been using Amsoil cold flow once ambient temps reach freezing, but additives aren't cheap, and I would prefer not to use them for the next 6 months if the correct fuel mix is available; however, it seems to be a mostly unknown bit of info. To my recollection, the cloud point for #2 is about 20 degrees F, and the cloud point for #1 is -15F

chet6.7

Explorer
I don't know if this is just marketing,as some on diesel forums say,or,it is a good choice.I suspect Cummins would not endorse it if it was harmful.I carry the 911 product during the winter just in case,though I don't see temps below the teens and that is rare.

"Are all Power Service Products endorsed by Cummins?
Currently only Power Service Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel Supplement are endorsed by Cummins. While the other Power Service diesel additives are not specifically endorsed by Cummins, they are safe and effective for use in all diesel engines. In fact, Cummins dealers have access to and can sell the entire line of Power Service diesel additives.

Diesel 911
Difference between Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost & Diesel 911
The Arctic Formula of Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost prevents fuel gelling and protects against fuel-filter icing. The Winter Rescue Formula of Diesel 911 is used when gelling or icing has already occurred and the engine won’t start. Use Diesel 911 to get your engine running and then add Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane to prevent […]"

toastyjosh

Adventurer
from power service
Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is a winterizer/antigel that is used in the cold winter months to prevent fuel gelling and keep fuel-filters from plugging with ice and wax. When temperatures drop, paraffin (wax) in ULSD fuel will gel stopping fuel from flowing through the engine, and water in the fuel can freeze on the facings of fuel-filters, blocking fuel flow. It provides trouble-free winter operation for diesel fuel.

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is intended for use only during cold winter months when temperatures drop below +30F. Use Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost (in the silver bottle) for peak performance in non-winter months. If your vehicle will not start or gain power in cold temperatures, use Diesel 911 (in the red bottle).

Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.

I used the white bottle in my rigs all winter had great luck. We only have diesel # 2 down in Northern NM how well it is treated who knows.
Same in colorado and parts of utah. The diesel clean is just cheap insurance. The powerservice stuff is about the cheapest per ounce I have found.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
#1 diesel fuel
#1 grade products have less energy components and are more expensive that their chief counterpart, #2 grade products. However, it rarely has problems in cold weather conditions, which is completely the opposite of #2 grade. This is because paraffin (a type of wax) has been removed from the chemical mix. The absence of this chemical allows it to remain in liquid form during the winter months.
#2 diesel fuel
#2 grade diesel fuel is the most readily available at most gas stations throughout the world. This chemical compound holds the highest amount of energy components and lubricant properties in one mixture and offers the best fuel performance available on the market today. Most scientists agree that #2 grade diesel fuel will protect injection pumps, seals, and other important engine parts.
Typically, #2 is less expensive than #1 because it doesn’t require the same depth of refinement to produce for sale. The downside to #2 diesel is its tendency to transform into a thickened gel when the temperature drops. This often leads to hard starts and other complications during winter.
Winterized diesel fuel
Winterized diesel fuel is a combination of #1 and #2 fuels that, when blended together, holds a higher concentration of #1 grade diesel fuel. These fuels are used during the months when it becomes too cold to use #2 grade.
The combination of both grades of fuel should contain enough energy components and lubricant properties to reduce the chance of the chemical mix gelling in colder temperatures. Typically, the fuel economy drops slightly during the winter months because the demand for it is less than at other times of the year.
Using #1 grade diesel fuel in the winter should never cause any immediate concerns. However, prolonged use in engines that are specifically-designed for #2 grade may reduce engine life span over a long period of time. #1 and #2 grade fuels can be mixed at the same time. This means you don’t have to worry if #1 grade is only available during the winter months.
AG diesel
AG Diesel, also known as red diesel, is made for off-road vehicles and other equipment that isn’t operable on public roads. For that reason, AG grade fuel isn’t subject to taxes like other fuels that are used in highway vehicles. The cost of red diesel fuel is significantly lower than other types available at the gas pump.
Off-road diesel is dyed red so that it can be distinguishable from other types of fuel. This is because it is illegal for use on public roads. Usually, officers will test the fuel for illegal use by dipping a metal gauge into the tank to gain a sample. This will help to determine if an unlawful act has occurred. The penalty for such an act is several thousands of dollars for each offense. Chemically-speaking, this type no clear advantage over other types available at gas stations, except for the price at the gas tank.
Where to find high-quality diesel fuel
At Kendrick Oil, we distribute a wide variety of wholesale fuels, including diesel and regular gas. If your business is in need of wholesale fuel or if you have any questions about any of our Products and Services, give us a call at (800) 299-3991 or Contact Us by email. We have locations in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, and Louisiana.

Chorky

Observer
Where to find high-quality diesel fuel

So the issue I am running up against is that very few stations in my area actually sell #1 or a 50/50 mix. Which is why I ran cold flow all last year. Strange, considering temps here do get quite cold... Makes no sense. So the only other though is maybe these stations actually put additives into their #2 and just never tell anyone? I just find it odd that very few people even know what product they are selling...

So, is it worth the extra drive to get #1 fuel, or is #2 with cold flow (anti gell additive) a better way to go? I suppose it depends on personal preference, but I am questioning more toward 1) if someone knows for sure if all stations automatically get ant gel added into their #2, and 2) if it is better, for lubrication purposes, to use cold flow instead of #1 or vic versa.

twodollars

I managed a fleet of dmax trucks for a few years. Each winter I would remind our drivers to purchase fuel from high volume truck stops like flying j, loves, etc and to use a additive at each fill up. I recommend Howes, and had good success with it. The drivers that followed that advice rarely had fuel related issues. The others had issues far more frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles