Diesel 04 E-350 Cube Van Camper

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Just thought I would post some updated pics of Betty White, our '04 camper van that started as a plumbing truck. 2WD, completely capable and does everything we need. I have it lifted 3" but for cosmetics only. I will put a limited slip in the back, maybe a little more paint inside, a powdercoat of some of the outside stuff, and then we're done. About 6000 awesome miles on it so far, or so.

Cheers, Andre

This summer I replaced the engine with a new beefed up 6.0 out of a school bus and ARP head studs etc.

I then lifted it 3" with pucks and it has a winch now. Winch bumper is something that someone gave me off an old Land Rover.

It's a 6'6 x 10' box but the same width and length as a van.

It's super heavy duty, flies up our biggest grades at 80mph, and gets 13-16mpg on the highway, 19-22 in california if sticking to 55mph roads. Thought I would share. Photos here:
https://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/Cars/2004-Superduty-E-350-Van/

One summer weekend in Utah:
010-XL.jpg

This was in California this summer on a 1200 mile road trip...
201-XL.jpg

Custom lift, ball joints and Moog steering arms:
P6140853-XL.jpg

swing out rear rack with ladder and 3 bikes, spare tire, jack, and hilift jack mounted to it.
233-XL.jpg

Also, the bed folds up and two bikes will fit across horizonally, if they are 6'6 long or shorter. Enduro bikes fit just fine.. :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Pretty capable, got us to this spot one weekend in lake mead (this was underwater weeks earlier):

066-XL.jpg

with the bikes and lift. The lift was 95% cosmetic just to make it look cooler. Mileage didn't go down luckily (was already horrible)
045-XL.jpg

036-XL.jpg

Garage door produces some pretty epic views...
031-XL.jpg
024-XL.jpg

loaded up ready to go home..

Cheers, Andre

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That back door is pretty nice to have! There's a small box van just like this for sale locally to me.....

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
It's awesome. Insulation is poor but it's like a small apartment back there. On a 10 day trip this summer we were soo comfortable. There is a little noise but some soundproofing and a small thin layer of carpeting would make a world of difference.

It's not an off roader at all. But can hang pretty damn well with that. With a small custom program for the 6.0 even with stock exhaust, it screams too...

hope it helps. Can't recommend it more, personally...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
also besides the hauling bits. With the 3" lift (puck spacer off F-250 -- use aluminum if you can) I dropped my control arms about 2 degrees in steering to increase ride. Not sure if this helps. It was the only thing technical that the lift required. Hope it helps.

001.jpg

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
He did, check out the link he provided ; )

How do you have your water system setup to the sink/ faucet?

Raul

Adventurer
Great rig. Thanks for the link with all the pictures.
Any issues with a full with swing out? I'll love to build something like yours for 5 bikes and an outside kitchen. I am debating to do it in two pieces or one like yours.

jydog

Let me start off by saying your rig is awesome and the inspiration for me building one. Im doing it the hard way though piece by piece and 5.4 instead of the 6.0.
here a link to my progress if you want to take a look.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/2241074-e350-box-van-rv-expo-shorty.html#post35185586

What other ideas are you thinking about or does it work just like you want it right now? Do you plan on adding
any a/c or heat? Insulation? maybe 4x4 down the road? I really like the idea of having the back open like you show in this picture

031-X2.jpg

Do you have a full weight of yours the way it sits now?

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Thanks guys...

To answer questions / thoughts.

Basically this is a Spartan Surpreme (good for searching craigslist) van and is popular with plumbers (rotorooter) but lots of industries use them. Check out the Supreme website for layourt.

The other totally awesome option is a fiberglass manufacturer that makes a really similar option too, but one piece fiberglass instead of this plastic-laminated plywood. Both are great though.

"regrets" or things I would have done differently:

I used latex paint over the plastic in the inside. Not too durable. I should have skuffed it for adhesion, or done a thin layer of sound insulation and then something like the carpet you use for speaker boxes (thump thump thump type) to have low impact.

The massive RV windows are great too but lots of noise comes from there.

The AC and cabin is designed for heating a smaller area so if its excessively hot, the AC has trouble keeping up. We draw curtains and this helps a lot actually. But we have a 5 week old now so I'm going to build a good safe back seat but unsure how we'll keep her cool when it's 95+ degrees.

I used a custom "van specific" chip from a programmer for the 6.0 in North Carolina or tenessee or something. Worked great and runs cold. 4" exhaust (I don't have it on this one yet) makes a big diference and that's probably its last 'mod'

Sound proofing, filling holes with caulk, and the vinyl Pergo flooring made a big difference in sound reduction. It's not too bad, just is a little loud, but just barely a smidge too loud. That said I did 4K on the road it in this summer (vegas twice, California from Utah) and it was great.

Don't search for e-350 lifts and avoid maxx-lift at all costs. they are unethical and will charge you $70 shipping then flat rate it for $12 for example and pocket the change. The product is the same as an F-250 lift and use a quality aluminum spacer. This is all true for any e-series lift.

they have great ground clearance stock but it is nice having the ground clearance though, so it helps.

Biggest thing by far was bilsteins on all 4 corners. I called the hotline and talked to our boy Junior Africa (seriously thats his name - ask for him) e series expert and all around awesome guy. He will give oyu part number recs.

I have literally gotten air in the van now -- it is awesome.

Also do the ball joints and tie rods ends all yourself it's super easy and a 1/2 days work and it will save you thousands. All e-series vans have poor front ends. Last straw is the steering box. You eitehr replace it or live with it (pretty sure I'm going to just live with it, or maybe replace when we pull the engine again).

Weight is high. When doing the alignment and installing the ball joints even their most heavy duty lifts struggled. That said I think it's probably lighter than a steel van perhaps.

The swing out is awesome. I'll make a video showing how it works and how I did it.

The 6.0 is a nightmare. I didn't take peoples advice and powerstroke is like the word "wedding" - instantly doubles or triples the price. Dead serious that an O ring kit (4 rings) from Ford for certain parts is $72. I am thousands and thousands into the engine. It runs great now but I have a lifter tick so I have to pull it yet again (have some one do it) just to replace a ****** lifter. When it runs though its a good engine, but I would have bought a gas 5.4 in a second and cant recommend gas enough over anything 6.0 or later. We've had it 3-4 years and it was down at least 1/2 of that time.

How I plumbed the sink was I order a "whalesfoot" foot pump from ebay UK for $20 and it s a foot pump for RVS -- the way it should be (screw electronics). I plumbed it to a $20 water filter faucet and have a little 2.5 gallon tank that we can yank out. It's actually just a brita 2.5 gallon tank. We leave it full and some bunjees or cam straps to keep in place...

For heat and AC, some later date for the cabin but I'll use a wabasto diesel heater like the truckers use off the diesel line for cabin heat though we don't really use it in the winter. But when you come back to "the lodge" after a day of skiing, and its warm because you left the heat on all all day, it's awesome (used to do it in our other van).

AC will have a roof unit at some point I imagine.

Hope it helps!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Great rig. Thanks for the link with all the pictures.
Any issues with a full with swing out? I'll love to build something like yours for 5 bikes and an outside kitchen. I am debating to do it in two pieces or one like yours.

there would be no issues at all with 5 bikes. I have a fullsize spare and maybe another 50lbs + the weight it it itself. There are two mounts welded right to the frame of the box truck. I put a hitch in elevated to haul a Kuat rack which I sometimes do. I will add some light beefing to the hitch on the swingout just for that. I will obviously not ever haul anything with that hitch, its for the bikerack only...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier