Die Hard Batteries: Are They Really Back?

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hey all,

I recently saw a commercial showing that Die Hard batteries are back on the market, via Advance Auto Parts in lieu of Sears. As a kid in the Midwest, everybody I knew loved Die Hard batteries for the cold winters and hot, humid summers. I had a good run with them myself until I couldn't find them.

One of my batteries is getting to the end of its life and I'm in search of a replacement. Specifically, it's for a car I do not drive a whole lot.

That being said, has anyone purchased one and have feedback? Anyone know if the build quality an standards are what they used to be?

I know many batteries are made by a few factories and "rebranded" in some cases. I'm unsure of the story with Die Hard, now or back in the day.

billiebob

Die Hard batteries never left.... sold thru Kal Tire in Canada since Sears died. Sears never owned Die Hard, they just had an exclusive marketing agreement, similar to Craftsman which is still made.

I've only bought DieHard for over 40 years. Last purchase, 2018.

OverlandNA

Advance Auto Parts bought the automotive/truck Die Hard brand from Sears late last year for a measly $200 million. Johnson Controls' power solutions business made batteries for Advance until they were bought by Brookfield Business Partners in June 2019 for a mere $13.2 Billion.
The Die Hard batteries are most likely being made to Advance Auto former specs and just using the new label. That is not a bad thing as the AAP batteries were decent.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think there's only two manufacturers of batteries in the US. It often varies from size to size regardless of the label.

^^^^ What he said. There are very few companies that "make" batteries anymore just lots of companies that slap their name onto a battery some other company made, so just pick what works for you. I've had good experience with Deka batteries.

I started buying Die Hards in the early 70s, used them exclusively in my vehicles. The last two I bought were less than stellar in performance and longevity, agree with the comments re: limited manufacturers. The last several starting batteries I bought came from AAA battery service, delivered and installed, some in my driveway and some while traveling. They’ve generally lasted up to 6 - 9 months beyond their 60 month service life.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Odyssey made my Sears Diehard AGM's. One died at 5.5 years,the other is who knows? I traded them in at O'Reillys for Duralast wet cells.
That was the Platinum line for a few years. Not all Die Hard batteries are AGM nor Odyssey sourced. Even the Platinum line changed sources over the years.

I won't own a wet cell anymore if I can avoid it. AGM is so much better about not rotting out a battery tray or destroying battery terminals. As complex as many modern battery terminals are today, you don't want issues. Can't just go to the parts store and pick up a $10 cable and call it good like in the past.

dstefan

The new Diehard Platinum is the Batteries+ X2Power AGM. Its made by Northstar, who made the Diehards after Odyssey stopped (confirmed to me by tech reps at both Odyssey and a Nothstar distributor here). I had a 2014 Diehard/Northstar in my Tacoma that was still going strong when I traded it in in Nov ’20.

Very similar specs to Odysseys, vibration proof, pure lead, etc. Rock solid. The Batteries+ version comes with a 60month warranty and national network of stores, just in case.

We have an X2Power/Northstar group 27F in my wifes 4Runner - 92 amp hours, going strong (in the Phoenix heat!). We run our ARB fridge off it all night when traveling in the heat with no worries and no dual battery set up. Lighter and smaller (a bit) than a group 31 for nearly the capacity. I’m putting another one in my new Tundra shortly.

Just gotta know how to maintain ’em!

Reactions: plh

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
^^^^ What he said. There are very few companies that "make" batteries anymore just lots of companies that slap their name onto a battery some other company made, so just pick what works for you. I've had good experience with Deka batteries.
Where did you buy your Deka's?

mwalsh9152

The new Diehard Platinum is the Batteries+ X2Power AGM. Its made by Northstar, who made the Diehards after Odyssey stopped (confirmed to me by tech reps at both Odyssey and a Nothstar distributor here). I had a 2014 Diehard/Northstar in my Tacoma that was still going strong when I traded it in in Nov ’20.

Very similar specs to Odysseys, vibration proof, pure lead, etc. Rock solid. The Batteries+ version comes with a 60month warranty and national network of stores, just in case.

We have an X2Power/Northstar group 27F in my wifes 4Runner - 92 amp hours, going strong (in the Phoenix heat!). We run our ARB fridge off it all night when traveling in the heat with no worries and no dual battery set up. Lighter and smaller (a bit) than a group 31 for nearly the capacity. I’m putting another one in my new Tundra shortly.

Just gotta know how to maintain ’em!
Northstar is now owned by Enersys, who is the parent company of Odyssey. They are a VERY similar designed battery, which is why Enersys bought them, it was a quick and cheap way to vastly expand production for their forklift batteries that are the same technology as Odyssey. I would expect that Enersys will eventually have the Northstars be the exact same battery as the Odyssey just in a different case.

dstefan

Northstar is now owned by Enersys, who is the parent company of Odyssey
That’s interesting and seems like a good thing. I just hope they stick with the Northstar physical sizing and standard groups, which I find easier to fit and work with than the weird, to me at least, Odyssey designations/groups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles