Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Been enjoying just using Dice as a Daily Driver........ but he got called to action this last weekend!
He got to be the pack mule to carry not only camping stuff...... but also my Vendor Booth and Product to Overland Expo in Flagstaff AZ!
But wait!..... That's not all!...... He was also a main part of my Booth..... to be seen by his adoring fans.....

Loaded up Dice Wednesday morning..... got a late start at around 11:30-ish.....
It amazes me that I can pack Dice perfectly when we leave home...... but returning home we look like the Joads heading to California..... {no photos of that!}

The reason for the late start?..... At 9am I finally finished a highly sophisticated piece of mobile stereophonic equipment.....
This unit would turn out to be as popular as Dice........ or even my products!

Stayed in Williams AZ wednesday night....... {motels are cheaper than Flagstaff!}..... headed to Overland Expo thursday morning.....
Got to the site...... the excellent Staff got us to our space...... Dice got settled into his "spot" like a dog will do...... set up the booth.....
The wind was blowing about 87mph-ish..... I decided to forgo the cheap blue tarp for the weekend..... mostly because our space was on asphalt!..... water jugs and spare tires weren't doing a very good job of anchoring a tarp.....

I cooked on a Coleman stove made in the 1950s..... the lantern was made in the 1970s..... our Coleman ice chest was made in the 1970s also...... but it's hidden in the shade under Dice for good reason!

You may have noticed the "Free Candy" sign..... I had 3 "Fat 50" ammo cans full of Tootsie Rolls...... Starbursts...... Jolly Ranchers..... that was popular!
Anything to make a sale!......

This was the first time I ever slept in the back of Dice..... a thick Thermarest pad and a cheap Bass Pro Shop sleeping bag..... I slept like a baby..... well..... actually like a snoring grizzly bear....... I'm sure my neighbors thought there was a grizzly bear fighting over a caribou carcass.....

The Star of the event seemed to be the "yet to be named" 8-Track boombox!...... {I welcome your name suggestions!}..... Everyone had a cool 8-Track story..... folks were showing their kids and grandkids how "we" did music in the 1970s..... before 8-Tracks we could only listen to what radio stations decided to play.....

We listened to the Eagles..... Bob Seger..... Steve Miller Band..... Dire Straits..... Led Zeppelin..... Fleetwood Mac..... Billy Joel..... Pink Floyd..... Doobie Brothers..... and one of my All-Time favorites..... the Amazing Rhythm Aces..... who wrote Third Rate Romance.....

All in all..... Me, Dice, and the yet to be named 8-Track boombox had a great time!..... we talked to a ton of neat folks.....
It was an excellent weekend!

Last edited:

FJOE

Regular Dude
This has to be one of the coolest threads ever on this forum. Here I was, thinking I was cool buying tapes for the cassette player in my '95 Toyota. This would be a dream build for me.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
This has to be one of the coolest threads ever on this forum. Here I was, thinking I was cool buying tapes for the cassette player in my '95 Toyota. This would be a dream build for me.
Thanks Joe......... I appreciate that!
You know what......... cassettes are pretty durn cool too!

Hackopotomus

Observer
My name suggestion for the 8 track boombox: The Way-Back Machine.

I think you need to find a book of matches to stick in there to make it more realistic though (and I'm not talking about a Radio Shack product!).

DGarman

What could go wrong?
My name suggestion for the 8 track boombox: The Way-Back Machine.

I think you need to find a book of matches to stick in there to make it more realistic though (and I'm not talking about a Radio Shack product!).
Hack, that is perfect!..... The Way-Back Machine it is....... just like Mr. Peabody and Sherman had!
Realistic........ I get it!
Here's your suggested modification in action.....

Hackopotomus

Observer
Perfect! (y):D

How was the Expo? How crowded was it? I drove right past Flag on Friday on my way to NM to pick up this sidecar rig. Was going to stop but skipped it because I figured I wanted to spend more time there looking at stuff and didn't want to rush through. Will probably hit it up next year.
IMG_4668.JPGIMG_4671.JPG

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Perfect! (y):D

How was the Expo? How crowded was it? I drove right past Flag on Friday on my way to NM to pick up this sidecar rig. Was going to stop but skipped it because I figured I wanted to spend more time there looking at stuff and didn't want to rush through. Will probably hit it up next year.

Nice hack, Hack!
Expo was great!..... Tons of folks..... over 300 vendors..... definitely worth going to for a couple days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles