Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
We left Peach Springs at 11:30 AM, and stayed at the river until 6:30 PM. The scenery was awesome, as was the company. Two Jeeps made the trip from Prescott.

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/DsE5VCTrlNA

Part 2 - http://youtu.be/9p5IhZYi9s8

These are long videos - they cover 16 miles along the Diamond Creek Road to the Colorado River. The video was done with a GoPro Hero2 @ 127º field of view 1920x1080 HD resolution.

Afternoon temps were in the mid 90's, the water temp was 46 degrees. About 60 seconds in knee deep water was enough to get cooled down for a while...

I can highly recommend the Diamond Creek restaurant at the hotel in Peach Springs - good food, and a lot of it.

Attachments

• DC1.jpg
    DC1.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DC2.jpg
    DC2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DC3.jpg
    DC3.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 46
  • dc4.jpg
    dc4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 535
  • dc5.jpg
    dc5.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 42

mkitchen

Explorer
A short hike will lead to Diamond Creek Falls too

Did you get a chance to hike to the falls? It's a little bit over two miles up Diamond Creek from the road. Looks like a fun trip for all of you.
Mikey

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Hey Mikey!

Nope, didn't know about that - we'll do that next time. Probably will do that a little earlier in the year tho!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
very nice little side-trip! Can you verify the cost of the "fee" to go down the road?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! I have to confess I have never heard of this trail.

Was the lower portion covered in water? There's an old trip report from 2005 online that I found, the writer was in a rental Chevy and only went part of the way through the water.

I'm definitely putting this one on my "must do" list!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
very nice little side-trip! Can you verify the cost of the "fee" to go down the road?

Cost for AZ residents is about $15.00 per person, if I recall it's $28.00 to $30.00 for out of state. In either case, it's a unique opportunity.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! I have to confess I have never heard of this trail.

Was the lower portion covered in water? There's an old trip report from 2005 online that I found, the writer was in a rental Chevy and only went part of the way through the water.

I'm definitely putting this one on my "must do" list!

The last two miles is in the creek bed itself, and it can be wet. The very last portion of the second video shows what we went thru. I suspect if we'd had a normal winter, there would have been more water, and there probably was a month ago.

Mark

SmoothLC

Explorer
Wow! Never knew this existed. (Have to talk to the :wavey: about this. She rafted the GC before we met.)

Thanks for the great vids!

Scott Brady

Founder
Beautiful!
attachment.php

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I've been down that road many times. It is/was one of the stages for the Ramada Express International Rally. Doing it at rally car speeds doesn't allow for enjoyment of the scenery. I've always wanted to go back for a leisurely drive.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scott!

Abel, If I'm correct, the last year for Rally was '07. That would have been a very, very fast stage both directions! With the top panels off the Jeep, we really enjoyed the trip since so much of the scenery is high on both sides of the road. I doubt you'd even know there were 2200' cliffs to see!

mkitchen

Explorer
If I remember right, Diamond Creek is the only place that a fellow can drive to the river while in the canyon.
Mikey

RHINO

Expedition Leader
great trip, been there a couple times in the truck. and once kinda on the moto, unfortunately i wont be back, dont even try to take a moto even when given permission, paying the fee ect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier