DI/RRC axle swapping info

Funrover

Expedition Leader
So I lucked upon a pair of axles, regeared and arb lockers. WOO HOO!!!! They came out of a 1994 DI. I drive a 1992 RRC. My question is can I put my RRC calipers on the DI axles? I have to do some rebuilding to the DI front so if I have to do a swap around that would be the time. Thanks for any info!

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Interesting....yes they shouldn't be a problem to swap over theoretically. THe bolt holes line up. Why wouldn't you just swap the 3rd member and shafts into the RRC axle housing? 1000x easier

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Just swap the axle shafts and differentials. much easier, less painful. I upgraded my front axle in my RRC to 24 splines from a 1996 D1. I had to readjust the ABS wheel speed sensors to make it work, but they fit and work just fine.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Reason I am doing whole axle swap is because the DI axles have a weld on diff cover and gussets that I want to do to mine. With the work saved in cutting/welding I come out ahead just swapping. Also being my RRC is a hunter model no ABS, WOO HOO!!!

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Isn't the rear axle different in the RRC than a Disco? I thought the Watts linkage or whatever its called is different. I could be wrong though.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
The only potential issue in the front is that around the time when the disco came out they changed the claiper bolts from SAE to metric. If your bolts are SAE, then you will need to ream out the holes on the caliper and us the Disco/metric bolts.

In the rear you are dealing with the rotoflex yoke. The disco pinion uses the multi spline yoke, and Im pretty sure your RRC has the coarse 4 spline yoke.

-Jeff

Funrover

Expedition Leader
The only potential issue in the front is that around the time when the disco came out they changed the claiper bolts from SAE to metric. If your bolts are SAE, then you will need to ream out the holes on the caliper and us the Disco/metric bolts.

In the rear you are dealing with the rotoflex yoke. The disco pinion uses the multi spline yoke, and Im pretty sure your RRC has the coarse 4 spline yoke.

-Jeff

Will have to check the bolts. The DI axles are already U joint converted.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
So doing a little digging I found that the D90 calipers/rotors do a much better job with stopping power. I think I may go this route,however,my RRC has the duel line per caliper set up. Have not been able to find much on converting to single as of yet. Has anyone here done this?

Last edited:

JSBriggs

Adventurer
So doing a little digging I found that the D90 calipers/rotors do a much better job with stopping power. I think I may go this route,however,my RRC has the duel line per caliper set up. Have not been able to find much on converting to single as of yet. Has anyone here done this?

At a minimum, I think you will have to loose the RRC ABS to use the D90 Calipers.

-Jeff

vtrover

I did it on my '91. I swapped in the pedal box from a '96 disco including the brake master and booster, and also calipers and rotors. I used one of the pre-existing RRC brake lines to each caliper. I sourced a new brake line T on the rear axle from RN to eliminate the dual rear lines. It wasn't an overly difficult swap, been trouble free for 4 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles