Dexter axles easily replaceable (swapping lug patterns)

RacerAV

Have an IntechRV Explore with Dexter axles, and I eventually want to put matching Jeep wheels/tires on it. What are my options? Id rather stray away from spacers/adapters.

OhioWrangler

I ordered my axle with the same bolt pattern hubs as my jeep. Then I was able to swap from hubs to electric brakes just by ordering them from southwestwheel.com. My axle is a dexter 3500#. They were cheaper with shipping than I could buy locally

compactcamping

Explorer
Have an IntechRV Explore with Dexter axles, and I eventually want to put matching Jeep wheels/tires on it. What are my options? Id rather stray away from spacers/adapters.
If it is a 3500 lb axle, can upgrade the 5 on 4.5 hubs to new 5 on 5 hubs. If you are running factory aluminum Jeep wheels, will have to run spacers because the center holes are too small for fitting over the axle hub.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Leave the axle, buy the correct hub. This is the perfect time to add your brakes.

ETrailer has been my go to with free shipping, but as mentioned above, SW wheel great too. They have a warehouse in Dallas, so, I have picked up full 7k axles w brakes, springs, tires and wheels for big trailer builds. Just easier for me.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Sorry, to be clear, when you buy brakes, you are stripping down to the spindle on your axle anyway so it’s a perfect time to change out bearings, seals, buy new hubs with the bolt pattern you want and add brakes.

Call eTrailer, tell them what you want. They will fix you up. You may have to pull your hubs and get measurements or bearing numbers to get the right parts.

Good luck!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you are using stock Jeep wheels the center bore is too small for the spindle to fit through, you will need to use adapters to get the clearance. I’d recommend driving out the races and fitting Timkin bearings, it’s your only moving part so go with the best, especially if you are running larger diameter tires.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Pretty simple process...
1 - Order new outers with electric brakes and the bolt pattern you desire. ( I have 3500# axle with 6000# outers bolted on)
2 - Order hub-centric rings to take up the gap between the hub and inner circle of you wheel. US Wheel Adapters made them custom for me.
Everything bolts on, you will just need to wire the brakes...

- Take a look at my build, hopefully it will help you out...
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/a-little-different-m416-trailer-build.165937/

Good luck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online