Destination Unknown - a 1997 F350 build

Eldgen

Builder of Dreams
I was in the same boat you are, I opted for building a flatbed and using a rooftop tent but I could just as easily put a slide in on it or remove the outer boxes and get a flatbed camper.

Eldgen

Builder of Dreams
I have thought many times about fabricating cups for mine. It's amazing that a little rubber balloon can hold an axel up so well. I may be wrong- but I think Day-Star sells a bolt on cup kit for the Firestone bags. I think I'm gonna leave mine plumbed together. It does help off road. And then if one gets to leaking off I don't have to worry about my truck sitting all crooked.
Yes, I used the daystar cups and built upper mounts for the bags, works well.

Eldgen

Builder of Dreams
Yeah you are correct Day-Star does sell cups for firestone bags. In fact this has been my plan all along knowing that the suspension changes have increased travel which is not conducive to the airbags unless it is totally stock. So to allow for significant travel off road, and support on highway, I had planned on day-star cups from the start. I think the bags will be going on soon after testing things out this weekend. I have seen some frame mounted videos of the cups/bags in action on super rough roads, and they seem to work really really well. My only concern would be a rock getting in the cup and puncturing the bottom of the bag. One critical component though that I need to figure out is some sort of support bracket or steel. If you consider how the weight on springs is distributed over several feet of frame, while bags put essentially the entirety of the weight on one point, something could go wrong. So I am considering adding some steel from shackle to shackle, and bolting the bag brackets through the added steel and frame. Yes, this would most certainly add weight; however, I have recently removed 50% of a extendable bumper mount that the previous owners had installed. That darn thing probably weighed over 300#s!!! Plus, the gooseneck is MASSIVE, and that is just going to have to go away for now - aside from not needing it just yet, it wasn't installed all that great and is due for replacement in my book anyway.

In other news, I settled on a hitch - for lack of time I just pulled the trigger. The local trailer shop hooked me up. 8" drop with a dist hitch minus the bars, but with the sway controller since the trailer already had the attachments when I purchased it. So in the future if I so need I have the option for the bars for a weight distribution. Its simple, and will work for now. Its super heavy though!! Thicker steel than my frame, and probably weighs in at 50#'s! But its rated at 14K towing, and 1700 tong, which is a little below my receiver rating of 16K and 2400, so theres a good safety margin there. Sadly, I found out my sway controller was machined wrong, so another stop to the store tomorrow after the canopy. I'm down to one day to get a bunch of random little things done before this weekend. Also, I have not fully hooked up to the trailer yet, and still need to get it to level ground, but if I'm right, I will still have one hole to move downward with the 8" drop. That is assuming the canopy and gear weigh things down a few inches. I'm surprised at how much taller the back end is - in this situation, real life did not match engineering mathematics.

How does your rig handle the off highway roads loaded at 11k? is your weight low, or is it top heavy?
Handles great, I swapped a Superduty rear end in for disk brakes and re-drilled the bolt patter to 8x6.5 as well as converted to brakes which made a huge difference, I also retained both sway bars.2016-05-17 16.55.58.jpg13913903_1238354749511023_5359883017367518049_o.jpg

Chorky

Observer
Well it's been a bit now. Still in love here of course haha. Though we'll see what the winter brings. Work is quite challenging in terms of differences from the west. Granted, salal up to your eyeballs and walking logs over 50' off the ground doesnt exist, but it is difficult in a different way. Wonderful ecological sites to be seen, and great coworkers. Anywhoo....awesome to say the least!!

IMG_20180704_141233-1c.jpgIMG_20180704_143011-1c.jpgIMG_20180629_123259-1c.jpgIMG_20180630_124836-1c.jpgIMG_20180701_103046-1c.jpg

Chorky

Observer
In other news, I think I have additionally figured out a reasonable solution to the living situation/problem. At least possible. First, a list of potential options I had considered (and mostly this is for others to see what and why I came up with my current plan, since I'm sure others are in the same boat).

Also, as a reminder, keeping in mind that this position has the potential to either have me gone to different states for winter trips at 17 days at a time, or leaving me to find my own way for 6 months of the winter when snow is too deep to reasonably do work. Also keep in mind this is not a forever deal; however, it could be anywhere from a year to 5 years or more of this particular lifestyle.

Considered options:
1) Keep current set-up (which is living in my 21' trailer towed by truck)
2) get a larger trailer more conducive to climate
3) park truck/jeep/extra stuff, get class b/c to get by
4) bite the bullet and just rent
5) get any random camper

Here are some explanations of why the above were decided against:
1) although I know what is good and bad with my current trailer, that I have put a fair amount of money and work into it to keep things in good operating condition, and it has done me mostly well the last 2 years, I have major doubts it will last a winter here. Aside from really not wanting to possibly having to tow a 7K trailer in the snow and ice, it is just becoming a bit of a thorn. After testing systems, I have also found that it does not do as well 'off grid' as I had expected and hoped, which is ok...after all it is just a camping trailer, but it did cause me to question the long term living in it. In addition to having frequent issues with some of the systems of the trailer, which can be resolved fairly easily, it also is not quite as mobile as I had hoped/expected when I first made the choice to live in a trailer. Much more so than a house/apartment, but comes with its own set of problems. That being said, the cold is really the major concern knowing the potentials for my job. In talking with neighbors who are home every night to make sure things dont go bad, freezing is a major concern. And I really just do not want to winterize just to go to work for 8-17 days, to come home and dewinterize, and do it all over again for 8 months at a time for possibly 5 years - that just sounds like a bad idea.

2) this was my first thought several months ago. After all, my trailer is somewhat cramped now. However, just getting a bigger trailer is not necessarily the answer. And that thought came around prior to understand more details of my particular work situation - not that it's bad by any means... but the reality is being gone frequently poses freezing issues, and potential mobility issues for winter work. (I always plan for the worst, sometimes it bites me but I'd rather be prepared). Also, even considering something like my dad's new trailer (a 'outdoors' trailer built by northwood manufacturing), being gone for up to 17 days at a time in temps below 0....well...it would still need a whole lot of extra work to make sure things dont go bad when gone, not including the amount of propane needed to keep something like that above freezing for so long (I typically went through 3 20# tanks in about 15 days in western Washington's winters which infrequently get below 20. So also the cost of a 'new' trailer, which is built much better than standard trailers, is probably not quite worth what I need. - not to mention that I am lucky in the sense that the place I am staying right now is only $350/mo including everything (except no wifi). Most other places I have checked out are a MINIMUM of $750/mo - which is no better than renting a house!!! INSANE! How do people have so much money??

3) This was (and maybe is) a SERIOUS contender to my currently decided plan. At first I was looking around and didn't find anythign that met my needs. Off grid capable (in other words not needing a RV park but basically being homeless), 4X4 to get to places I want to go, and capable in every sense of the word. I was discouraged at what I found, especially considering asking prices, UNTIL......... I found a Revcon locally for sale. Now I haven't seen it yet, and the asking price is pretty steep I would think. But this would solve a whole host of problems - except its gas... So a diesel conversion to run diesel appliances would be need in the long run. Also, to truly make it livable how I would want for a period of time, I would likely gut it and rebuild it basically. But, these things are WAY cool!! It is still on the list as a potential, but honestly at this point is unlikely..... BUT IT'S SO COOL!!!!

4) This was becoming a major thought. With cold winters especially. The problem is it really kills my mobility desires. And with unknowns about winter work...I really wanted to remain mobile so that I could just go anywhere should I need to for winter income. The other thing is housing costs are astronomical.... Which is why I chose to move into a RV full time 2 years ago anyway. So it was a thought, and put on the list, but really is decided against at all costs unless no other options present themselves.

5) this was another option. To rid myself of the trailer and just do a random camper for a few years. It certainly solves the mobility issues of winter, not wanting to tow a heavy trailer potentially in snow/ice. And it also allows me to, say, stay at that lake pic above instead of just going for a day trip. Which really is the ultimate goal. To be able to visit places, and plop down for a night at some random beautiful place I see. But the problem, is from my understanding, most 'conventional' trailers are quite heavy. And it really doesnt do any better than option 1... Remembering that cold climates, and time away is a very big reality, and not wanting to deal with frozen or broken pipes, while wanting to be off grid essentially to not have to pay big rent costs... So this was a thought that led to my final decision, but was not a decision in itself.

Decided plan - for now (critiques are very much welcome!!!)

Keep the truck (of course, I'd never get rid of it)
Custom pop-up camper (likely from phoenix)
12' dual axle cargo trailer (for all my extra junk, especially relating to my 3-4 work boxes and stuff I just cant fit in the camper but need to access on a somewhat frequent basis)

Next up, details....

Chorky

Observer
The details.....

Ok so again the above was decided based on the following needs:
  • Wide range of climates - from very cold to very hot
  • Need to be highly mobile - not necessarily desired, although fun and exciting, but out of simple need to make sure I can have income
  • Desire to be outside, go places, and just park at random places I find awesome for my days off (6-12 days off at a time)
  • Ability to be 'off grid' and basically not rent any place (truck is parked at a facility on work days, and can live out of campgrounds/FS land on days off)

As a caveat, in the back of my mind I am still thinking about that Revcon, as it has potential to be a poor-mans Earth Roamer. And if gutted and built, would prove to be pretty darn amazing (minus it's 32' length compared to the truck at 21')

Ok, so the camper details (some of which are a no-brainer):
  • Compatible with a service bed (to store all that stuff that is currently in the truck/canopy)
  • Fresh water system (60gal preferred)
  • Multi-stage water filtration prior to tank (tank filled through city connection rather than separate filler tube using valves) with ability to draw water from a source (such as a stream or lake, like when you go camping)
  • External shower
  • Internal shower with cassette toilet (easier to dump, I suppose a tank with built in mensuration pump could be an option also since that's what I've used to pump through 150' of hose to the septic the last 6 months...I really do not know how fast I would fill up a 5gal cassette toilet.... :-0 )
  • 30a shore power
  • 2000-3000w inverter (to run stuff 'off grid')
  • solar charger - enough to be 'off grid' indef. if possible
  • adding second alternator (brackets are out there) and wire specifically for camper batteries - or wire to rest of system and use an isolator of some sort
  • large'ish sink - larger than standard ones anyway
  • 2 vent fans (since no a/c)
  • stereo system with 12v TV - for photo editing and on very bad weather days to watch movies
  • Roof ladder
  • Scissor steps
  • roof rack - this is a big one....to hold and carry 300#'s of kayak, hobie tandem island sailing kayak is in my near future!!!
  • power roof rack (safety as far as I'm concerned)
  • awning - all sides?
  • placement for current camp stove - to be removable and use outside during nice days
  • diesel heater
  • diesel water heater
  • extra 1/2-1" of insulation
  • extra insulation for canvas sides
  • exterior LED lights wired to truck, and additional switches in camper - for backing/driving, and as porch lights
  • maxtrax/bridging/sand ladder storage X4
  • Hi-Lift storage (maybe on bumper instead)
  • 12v fridge - possibly use existing snomaster LP67 that I use in my trailer since trailer fridges suck....
  • service body mounted - unsure of dimensions, likely 8'x6.5'
  • elevated floor for under floor storage (things like outside chairs)
  • antenna mounts (CB, cell extender, GMRS, 2m/70cm, scanner, etc...)
  • front bracket on cab-over for lights (not excessive lol)
  • all access doors (shower, shore power, water fill, etc..) recessed and insulated - remember cold, and alone for 17 days

Some unknowns of what to do:
  • water filtration/storage size/draw desire - is this really feasible?
  • Roof rack - is it really possible to carry 300#'s on a pop-up? I know it will make things top heavy, which is a MAJOR concern for me, but I really want to go kayaking, especially the lakes around here!!!
  • stove - the idea here is although I really don't want any propane, is to be able to cook outside on nice days. But the reality is if I'm living this way I really need the ability to even have an oven if at all possible....to do meal prep for those 8-17 days of work (bring own food, not always near civilization)
  • diesel appliances? not sure if should plumb to tanks, or have a self containing tank that I just fill with a x-fer pump - that might be a better way in case I need to disconnect
  • antenna attachments...really not sure how this is going to work. It would be SUPER nice to have radios in the camper and the truck since there is no pass-through (like the Revcon), and not sure how it would work if needing to disconnect....
  • Batteries...not sure how many I realistically need. Remember the truck will sit by itself with systems on (fridge and heater at minimum) for up to 17 days at a time...unattended

I think this is about it... I'm sure theres additional things, but that's the list so far. Critiques welcome and desired.

One major concern is....is it really feesable to store everything I need to live with in this??? Campers dont have a lot of room, although I've never really been in one. That would be the plan. The cargo trailer would be basically for work related gear or other things that I don't want/need with me during off hitches and out exploring for 6-12 days at a time. If that makes sense.

One last thing to consider. Weight. This is likely going to be an issue... probably a big one I would assume. I really do not know the total weight of the truck yet...and haven't found a place to weigh it. But also considering the current state, the additions of front and rear winch bumpers, 2 spare tires, random stuff...future larger fuel tanks (45 rear, either 40 mid-ship, or 30 mid-ship left, and custom built 30 mid-ship right after relocating exhaust). Weight (especially considering rolling over or very uneven terrain such as crossing ditches) is a big concern. So another thought I did have is instead of doing this to my current truck, picking up another truck, such as either a F700 (I know nothing of these), or an older F350 CCLB with a much simpler (but rebuilt) 7.3 IDI-T that is either a dually, or longer flatbed for a larger camper which would = more comfort at costs of mobility (or the Revcon). But I'm unsure of total cost which would be lower, or which would be easier and better to do. The other reality is I'm not sure how much time I will have this winter back in WA to do a rebuild on say the Revcon, so a custom camper that is being built by not me is very appealing to be honest...

So although the 'camper' idea with small cargo trailer for work related gear is I think a very solid plan (aside from the Revcon being converted), I am unsure of the platform (my truck, or a different one). One additional reason why would be it would be super awesome to cut out the back and have a pass-through, making it a dedicated rig of sorts. Something I'm both not sure how to do, and not sure I want to do to my current truck since it would reduce resale value in the very off and depressing chance I actually sold it.

In the end. I think the camper idea is solid, and my current plan of action. Now to contact Phoenix and see what's possible and do further cost analysis....

EDIT: I should add...preferably I would hope and want to stick with my truck as a platform. After all I have invested significant time and funds into the truck, engine and suspension work. Not that I would sell it, but it would be nice to not 'start over'. That being said, I need to find out some weights somehow to make sure I wont be entering into dangerous territory knowing how and where and in what situations it will be used.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
I sure do love this place! Went to look at a camper yesterday but it had a fair enough water damage. I think tomorrow I will be visiting the S&S shop since they have several on site apparently, and aim to find out about their construction and to see if that is a viable route to go considering the roads I travel. I'm hoping so, since they seem to be much more conducive to winter camping as well, which is certainly in the plans with a job that has me on a 17 day on 12 day off schedule! Hoping to figure out a solution with the service bed soon too. I may consider just modifying (cutting) a service bed so that a camper will fit in it. This seems like it may be the easier option; however, I'm not sure how it may change structural integrity. But regardless, the service body option is much more attractive to me than a flatbed with boxes.

IMG_0159.JPG

Chorky

Observer
Might consider a flat bed and a FWC flat bed model. They'd have to offer more storage. I'm with Pappa in a sense. But instead of starting from scratch like he is with his- just get something ready to go. Or at least close. A set of big underbody boxes, maybe a receiver hitch tray with a tool chest.....lots of possibilities. As for the hills..... I've noticed that my PSD really slows on hard and steep passes. I have several buddies running these old school diesels. They tell me it's just life with these old trucks without lots of aftermarket parts. They do tell me to run it hard. Really hard. I have one bud who runs a repair shop and he says the bottom end in these old 7.3's is almost indestructible. Tells me it's impossible to over-rev it. Says be WOT at the bottom of a hill and hold it. I haven't done that....yet. But I do run the piss out of it now when I pull it. The V-8 diesel seems to like the high RPM's. I drove a Cummins powered Dodge for years. It's a TOTALLY different engine. You don't run those I-6's like that. So I'm still learning the 7.3. I still say simpler is always better. If it were me, I'd find a way to utilize the truck you've already spent so much time and money in to live out of. There was a guy..... Bowman Odyssey? He did a thread. Had a common rail dodge with a flat bed and a FWC on it. Guy lived in it with his family for a good while. Truck had a bunch of miles on it when he started. He fixed the truck up and traveled a bunch of the country. It was a cool thread. Surly if he and his wife and kid could pull that off you could do similar? Awesome pics by the way! I'm truly jealous of the time you are having. Sorry to hear the job's a seasonal thing. But that's life. We zig and zag. Never know what is coming. There's a book- I recommend everyone read it at least once in their life- it says we aren't promised tomorrow. Kinda says what your experiencing, that you just never know. So just have faith that if you keep looking and paying attention....it'll work out just fine. Sounds like you aren't really worried about it anyway. So keep us posted....hope that wifi is fast!
This is an approach I have certainly thought about. I did contact FWC and Phoenix. I didn't really like the way FWC approached my questions and desires of a 'dream build'. They seemed very main stream and not very flexible or willing to do any special requests. Phoenix; however, basically said 'what do you want, we'll do it, or find a way'. They were much more willing to have open discussions. The issue, with either of them though, is that they are expensive. More than I can currently spend (considering the fact that the 'base' - truck - needs to be solid first). So I'm left with two options on that front - wait until I can get a loan for one (they quoted something like $60K!), or get a used camper, make it work, rebuild it as needed, and retrofit it as desired. And not to 'complain' about the job at all. Its turning out to be excellent!! Great crew, hard but good work. And sounds that most people work all year long even though its only contracted as 6 months so that's great news! And traveling...having 6-12 days off in a row....yes please!!! Arctic circle here I come! well....after getting the build completed. The engine does seem to be doing well still. It runs great, strong, no strange noises or sounds, although it is loosing oil at a decent pace and smells quite a bit worse than before. I'm really not sure where its going if it's leaking, or if its internal. Guestimation has me going through a quart every...oh...1,000 miles? That's a lot....considering it didn't happen at all before all the work. I could have easily burned a valve or ring or did something internal on the drive over here - I did push it pretty hard. But it all works, and other than the new HPOP leaking, there is no truly obvious issue, so just keeping an eye out and running it like normal until something happens.

just buy an LMTV 5 ton from Acella and put a composite shell on the back
I actually considered that before buying the truck. Doing a Deuce for multifuel purposes - but....I don't think it would work well on the roads I typically take (even though they are driven on by log truckers). It also wouldn't be very incognito. But in terms of a 'end days' survival situation, or for FEMA for disaster response, possibilities are certainly there - just not on my radar anymore, or right now anyway.

I was in the same boat you are, I opted for building a flatbed and using a rooftop tent but I could just as easily put a slide in on it or remove the outer boxes and get a flatbed camper.
I have considered this... Or at least a camper on a flatbed with boxes. But, after considering it for some time, I really want to use that only as a last resort. Flatbeds are great options for work trucks, but this is not at all centered around being a work truck - for me anyway. I really would much prefer the service bed option. I could always still take the camper out if I needed to haul something, but my thought is that the camper would more or less be a permanent fixture, and just tow a trailer if I needed to do work on property or the cabin. I also personally don't like the flatbed look as much, and having boxes added to it seems to be somewhat wasteful of space when dedicated side boxes can take advantage of full height rather than having to be separated by 4-6" of metal, if that makes sense. So I haven't ruled it out yet, as in the end it might actually be my only option, but I'm going to exhaust all other options of a service bed first - even considering cutting and modifying a brand new bed first before a flatbed - but that's just me. No solution is perfect, and they all are compromises, just depends on what one is willing to compromise on. That being said, a service bed isn't perfect either as they are heavy, require in some ways the rig to be 'dedicated' in terms of space for batteries, charging, etc.., and I really need to be careful about weights considering the full extent of the project. But I'm hopeful it will work. I do think that it would be important to restrict myself to a aluminum platform rather than steel, as weights are nearly double for steel units apparently. Another thought - if I could find a place to hook me up - would to even be modifying the factory truck bed into a service bed of sorts. That would be a pretty sweet deal especially if the camper was about the same width as the existing truck bed - but that would likely be VERY expensive and probably not as robust. It would look amazing though, and probably be very functional!

I do suppose though that another option would be a flatbed with bottom only boxes, and then take what ever camper I get and extend the siding so that it is a solid 'box'. Standard trailer/camper doors could then be added for access; however, I'm not sure how the camper, with an added footprint, would like the twisting of the flatbed. That could prove to be a problem as I believe most campers are set on top of the frame rails essentially, and increasing the footprint will increase twisting forces - you know, length X degree of travel = increased height movement (for lack of the appropriate equation). But, that certainly could be another option - one I would like more so than a flatbed with boxes on top and bottom. But it would turn the truck into a dedicated rig - which is sort of the plan anyway, but it just means that equipment would not be able to be hauled without the camper unless its in the open.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
On another note - I'm also racking my brain still about what to do with the center console situation. I never posted pics but I did mount a headliner rack (basically where the visors go) and used that as a base to mount 6 of the 9 new gauges. With the extra future mods, I will be looking at an additional, oh, 9? maybe... (3 fuel, 2 bat, 5 air). Not to mention the radios (cb, gmrs, ham, scanner), or a mount for the iPad (for nav), and a variety of switches. In other words, think of a cockpit! Originally I had desired to remove the center folding seat to get access to the rear in times of a downpour; however, it's nice to have that arm rest and cup holder. Then I had considered making my own center console to go between the dash and the folding center seat and leave it. Now, I am reconsidering again. possibly removing the center seat and building a small (maybe 6" tall) box for storage, but still allowing a pass through of sorts. Originally the home made console would house the radios; however, I am now considering making a dash console. Even being short, there is plenty of room above the dash where a console could be placed that would not interfere with visibility past the hood. This could make for more leg room in favor of a pass through, but would have to be done right to not be tacky, or super obvious. It would however, make for more difficult wire routing, and leave room on the lower dash for switches and gauges. The downside would be heat on the radios, and the span of the radios being difficult to access whilst driving unless placed over the instrument cluster (which would look weird I think). I do like this as an option though rather than a console that would kill leg room and the ability to, say, slide to the back to change or put on different boots if the weather is just total crap. (as I do often find myself wishing it would be easier to put on different pants/shorts/boots/etct… while in the truck rather than outside in bad weather conditions, or if it's freezing and one just finished snowshoeing). This also poses an additional concern - antennas. Antennas, for performance, should be high, and unobstructed - everyone knows this. But.... With a camper, that can be an issue. Original thought was to put the antennas on the top of the camper - nice idea, but routing of wiring could be an issue. Placement on the front or rear of the truck is possible and probably the easiest way to go about things, at the sacrifice of quality and range.

Seabass

Idiot
Chorky- give these guys a look. I saw them advertise on Craig's List. They are eureka campers. I think they are out of Tennessee. They are welded aluminum frames and not subject to rot. I also believe they will be very durable. They are fairly simple in design and layout. I have seen several different configurations on CL, some used and some new. And they are considerably cheaper than a FWC. Im seeing pickup truck bed versions in the 6k range. If nothing else it's definitely worth 15 minutes out of your day to check out the website at https://www.eurekacamper.com/camper-models/slideinn-truck-camper/ I'm considering talking to them myself about building a camper to go on my 460 powered flatbed F-350. My job is horrible 10 months a year. On call 24/7, and out crazy weird hours. So I'm thinking taking a home with me would let me catch some rest whenever I can find it without having to go home, or squish up in the cab of the truck (I'm a big guy) Good luck with things! Please keep us posted.

Chorky

Observer
Chorky- give these guys a look. I saw them advertise on Craig's List. They are eureka campers. I think they are out of Tennessee. They are welded aluminum frames and not subject to rot. I also believe they will be very durable. They are fairly simple in design and layout. I have seen several different configurations on CL, some used and some new. And they are considerably cheaper than a FWC. Im seeing pickup truck bed versions in the 6k range. If nothing else it's definitely worth 15 minutes out of your day to check out the website at https://www.eurekacamper.com/camper-models/slideinn-truck-camper/ I'm considering talking to them myself about building a camper to go on my 460 powered flatbed F-350. My job is horrible 10 months a year. On call 24/7, and out crazy weird hours. So I'm thinking taking a home with me would let me catch some rest whenever I can find it without having to go home, or squish up in the cab of the truck (I'm a big guy) Good luck with things! Please keep us posted.

Thanks Seabass! I sent them a message and will probably follow up with a call since I have my hitch starting tomorrow. I also sent out a message to these guys, since I saw a pic and a post from vandominator13 over on the 'camper' discussion forum. This also seems like a very real possibility also!
https://campovrlnd.com/

Chorky

Observer
More updates, more thinking and scratching the brain. I finally got around to doing some 'checking' on a few things and am yet again concerned about the desired chosen plan.

First, I visited the original manufacturer of S&S campers, and WOW I was SUPER disappointed!!! For one, their campers are amazingly heavy, but likely due to the construction. But the big disappointment was their price, and the conditions of their campers. This was at the SOURCE of the campers too. Most of them had some sort of water damage, all of them were completely filthy inside, and the prices were (although inline with competition and the 'market') more than I am willing to pay considering what you actually get.... So, I also contacted Jay over at OVRLND campers. Great guy to chat with, pretty cool personal story, and makes some good stuff. Hes currently thinking about how to tackle what it is I wish to accomplish. We chat again tomorrow. I like this route much better than Phoenix as 1) its significantly cheaper, and 2) although its only a shell, would allow me to build the interior how I please, and at a 'slower' rate if necessary just pending funding to do so (although the plan would be to be complete before next spring).

That being said - as I had previously figured, weight is an issue. Actually...its a pretty major one. I finally got around to weighing the truck at a certified CAT scale, fortunately it was long enough to get axles independently. So "IF" I'm doing weights right (which I think I'm forgetting about the 150#'s per person available which is factored in somewhere on the sticker), then...…..

Front - 4240 lbs
Rear - 4040 lbs
Gross - 8280 lbs

Now, this is with me (a staggering 150#'s), 2 saws, gas, some recovery gear, work type clothes/gear, some tools, some spare parts, tire chains (x4) - but the real kind which are heavy. It also includes 2 full size spares, a floor jack and stands, the factory steel bed, a steel (gemtop??) canopy, and full fuel - so 38 gal. So considering the things that will STAY in the truck after service bed/camper, I would probably remove something like 300-400#'s - which is basically just the truck bed and canopy).

Now, the bad part.

Truck rating (sticker):
Front - 4600 lbs
Rear - 6084 lbs
Gross - 9200 lbs

So that means in my current state the remaining available is:
Front 360 lbs
Rear - 2044 lbs
Gross - 920

I do have a reserve axle weight of:
Front - 73 lbs
Rear - 83 lbs

So basically, if I were to remove the current bed/canopy and replace it with a service bed, I would likely still be at a remainder of 920#'s. Now granted these trucks can take more, and this is only the sticker weights, but it is still to be considered. Obviously, even though the rear has a capacity of 2044 left, I cannot reach that without overloading the front (likely) or going over the Gross, unless the majority of the weight is behind the rear axle, which we all know is a nono. I do find it very oddly surprising that the front is so close to it's max. Maybe something's not quite right but I don't have a bumper/winch yet, and only myself in the cab.... So somethings gotta be off unless that 7.3 is just that heavy (I think its about 950#'s). Anywhoo… This certainly puts a wrench into some things. So yet again, reconsideration must be done prior to moving forward.

Some thoughts:
  • Find a bigger truck!
    • actually, I have considered this several times in the past. Possibly something like a older F700 (remember, I already dislike the amount of electronics in the PS, so I don't want any more - for the engine anyway)
    • problems here are finding one that is a crew cab AND 4wd is, well, probably impossible
    • I also do not know those systems, the engine, drivetrain, well sizes, etc.....
    • It would solve weight issues, but would very likely bring about a whole host of others
  • Get a IDI-T dually
    • 'might' solve weight issues. I really don't know what a dual axle weight is as compared to single. I also don't know if the front axle weight is different as well, but I doubt it
    • Would certainly be nice to have even less electronics, but those engines don't have a lot of power, at all.....
  • Swap a dual axle to my truck
    • Might solve the weight issue, certainly would be more stable
    • causes me to loose out on the new rims I got
    • Might need different tires as well due to width
    • Unsure of how mounting differences are if any
    • Would need to rebuild another axle after I just finished the current one
    • unsure of how this would truly affect the weight issues or if it would even help considering how close the front is to max already
  • Go back to the idea of a class B
    • have made contact with someone selling a Chinook - after seeing the owners manual (not the vehicle in person though) it does seem to be built quite well, although fiberglass and trees might not like each other
    • unsure of their construction
    • certainly wider and lower to the ground - would require some fab work for a lift and larger tires to make ok for forest road travel
    • would probably solve the living situation and the whole desire of being more mobile
    • very limited on storage - no place for recovery gear, saws, gas, equipment, etc.... a critical component for me
    • expensive!!! Especially after all the investment into the truck
Now the key thing to keep in mind for myself here is after all weight (well several things really but this is primary right now at least). Weight of the camper is likely to be around 2K lbs, possibly more. It's hard to say but after doing some looking, some asking, I would assume the camper would be no less than 1.8K#'s and hopefully no more than 2.5K#'s. But also to consider is fuel - as the original plan is to have larger tanks totaling to 105 gal (and yes, that's actually a very useful thing for my application). This equals to 745.5#'s as compared to the stock 38 gal of 269.8#'s. So a significant change. It could, I suppose, be reduced to 75 gal max at 532.5#'s, which would reduce expected range to under 1,000 miles (keeping in mind not all of that is at highway, and a very significant portion is in fact off highway, or while stationary for multiple days at a time with diesel as a primary fuel source for truck, and air/water/engine-pre heaters.

In any case, back to the drawing board to reconsider options/research - I'm hoping that maybe just putting in a dual rear tire set-up would solve the issues, but skeptical.

As a side note - after actually checking weights and doing math, I am totally blown away at how many standard trucks and either trailers or campers going down the road are significantly overweight!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94