Destination Unknown - a 1997 F350 build

Chorky

Observer
oks like the Xplo
Ha yes it does! My life situation is different than most, so it makes me need a highly modular and multi-purpose design/set-up out of necessity rather than desire. I have pondered many many different ideas, and always keep coming back to the same one, so I'm sure it's the right 'fit'. One debate I'm having currently with life situations though is to continue with this plan, or put it on hold for one of two other possible ideas. Things are always changing. But no matter it will be finished some day, maybe today, maybe in 10 years ha!
 

Chorky

Observer
Dad visited for a week - we decided to take his truck for a several hundred mile trip instead of mine, since it's full of nice conveniences.

DSC_2901-1.jpg

DSC_2839-1.jpg

DSC_2977-1.jpg
 

Chorky

Observer
In an interesting series of events, I made a recent purchase. Not the amount of cash I really wanted to spend at the moment; however, I knew it was coming for a while. Few weeks ago topped off the pressure in my tires at a fuel station. The cold dropped pressures to just below 50 - usually I run 55 for good tire wear. Immediately I realized there would be a problem as water spewed into the tires while filling at 15 deg temps - only wondering how long it would be for that problem to surface. But, a new winter project 100 miles north beckoned so I threw caution to the went and went on. 2 days later, a tire was near flat down to about 20 pounds at best. After throwing on the spare, taking it to LesShwab 15 miles from the job site my suspicion was correct that the flat was caused by water icing up the valve stem causing a slow leak. So, knowing I will be in an area with little services, made a overnight rush order of the last in stock item. Eventually this will go in the Jeep, when a larger viair system can be had. It works well, but sucks battery life fast. The 1 pound tank is pretty much worthless for anything other than providing a quick burst of air, best used for blowing off equipment and such. But, it is much quieter than expected, which is nice - also a lot heavier than expected too. It's nice to finally have a compressor - something I have wanted for more than a few years now. Just goes to show that a person doesn't necessarily have to be 'overland' in some nowhere desert of a country to warrant needing a compressor. Though I have 2 spare tires, having the ability to air up would have saved about 2.5 hours and a early day off work.

1.jpg
 

Chorky

Observer
Took about a week to wash, scrape, prep, and paint. I used Eastwood products: rust converter, paint pre, ruberized rust encapsulator. There wasn't much rust to begin with. Only minor surface portions. But my last paint job of eastwood rust encapsulator didn't hold up to the salt here. although I also just painted and didn't convert first. So some years later we are at it again. The prep work wasn't the greatest due to having no garage, or place to really do a good job except outside in dirt and grass - so no doubt I painted over portions of dirt which will probably just flake off after a few months. But I will say that scraping/sanding, then using 2-3 coats of rust converter, then paint pre, and finishing with 2 coats of ruberized encapsulator does a fantastic job. I dont know a 25 yr old truck that looks any better unless its fully restored or never used in rain/salt. Pretty happy with these results. We will see how things look after winter, but I plan to use the ruberized stuff on the entire underside of the body as well, and get some monstaliner to spray the outside of the body - should make the body last a good long while no matter the conditions. Some of the original undercoat remained in good condition, and after scraping a bunch off to reveal excellent quality bare metal with zero rust I opted to just paint over the rest instead of spending a week just in scraping.

IMG_6838[1].JPG
 

Chorky

Observer
So after being really happy at how the frame turned out with using the new product and the new method - especially how well the converter worked, I opted to take another week to wash, scrape, prep, convert, and paint the entire underside of the bed and body. All parts that are accessible without removing components. Removing the bed entirely would be preferred....but is just not an option for me at the moment. However, I think it came out darn nice, and should provide with years of rust/damage free life. I doubt there is a nicer, cleaner, rust free frame/body than this one, aside from rebuilt or show trucks.IMG_6934[1].JPG
 
Top