Desert Turtle - M1010 Build

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Looks great, Mike!

I'm guessing with the final spacing you've compensated for flooring and insulation stack up? (It does look taller than your original mock-up.)

Looks like that welder takes both 120 and 240v input - which are you using? (Asking because I like the idea of being able to add Aluminum to my capabilities, but I only have 120v service to my backyard shop.) Have a 240v circuit in the garage, but that isn't my normal workspace...

ExpoMike

Looks great, Mike!

I'm guessing with the final spacing you've compensated for flooring and insulation stack up? (It does look taller than your original mock-up.)

Looks like that welder takes both 120 and 240v input - which are you using? (Asking because I like the idea of being able to add Aluminum to my capabilities, but I only have 120v service to my backyard shop.) Have a 240v circuit in the garage, but that isn't my normal workspace...

Thanks! Yeah, I bumped it another 1" for the floor thickness. Trying to keep a low as possible but not have our heads bounce off the ceiling when inside. ;)

As for the welder, yes it does both. I am using 240v as it allows a higher duty cycle at the given amps I am using. Plus I have a very heavy duty extension cord for the 240v. I have a dedicated welder 120v outlet but I have a 30amp service and a different plug than a normal 20amp plug. I need to make an adapter. Once I am done with all of this, I should try the 120v and see how it does. LOL Nice thing about my house power is, when I had the living room addition done, I upgraded my service from 100amp to 200amp. I have 100amp dedicated specifically to the garage.

ExpoMike

Small update, got the 4 corner pieces welded on. Still need to do some finish grinding and clean up. Overall fit well, not perfect but should do fine. Next up is skinning the outside. Need to get the side done with a step flange so I will have to farm that work out, since I don't have a bead roller nor space to keep one.

0821211515_HDR.jpg

0828211221a.jpg

0828211221.jpg

ExpoMike

Finally got my sheet skins for the project. Had a local fab guy do a step flange on the two pieces for the sides. Worked on getting the first side done. Overall very happy how it is turning out but I am beat. It was very hot and getting up and down off my ladder/scaffolding was a pain. My wife was a great help as it was too big to hold and clamp down myself. She also drilled the panel from the inside, while I held a block tight on the outside. Used Silaflex and rivets. Roof is just sitting on there as I still need to do the other three sides before I can permanently seal and rivet down the roof panel. Starting to look like it's going to work out.

0911211254_HDR.jpg

0911211254a_HDR.jpg

0911211430.jpg

ExpoMike

Another long and tiring day but got the rear and the passenger side sheets installed. Very happy how this is coming out. Now I have the hardest wall to finish, the front. There is not much access to the middle area due to the cab and the A/C unit. Not looking forward to doing this one.

Rear
0919211540.jpg

Pass side
0919211540a.jpg

0919211540b.jpg

ExpoMike

Productive day. Got the last skin done on the box. Actually was easy as I slid the roof back about 2' and was able to use ladders inside to reach over. Got the corners sealed up and riveted. Last part to do is seal and rivet the roof. Getting close.

0926211419.jpg

0926211420.jpg

ExpoMike

So I know I am going to take a LOT of crap for this but it was the best choice for our needs. I debated this for over a year and had been looking for the right platform and today I got what I think will be perfect for us.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 with the 8.0L V-10. Only 83,000 miles! Going to pull off the flat bed and transfer the M1010 box over. This will be the truck platform, which is fully loaded instead of stripped to the bone. Time, cost and labor, it made better sense. It was nice driving it home with tunes, A/C going (it was 90* out) quiet and comfy.

I'll likely swap the flatbed over to the M1010 truck, weld in the door area and put a rear window. Then it will be up for sale.

1001211405_HDR.jpg

1001211405a_HDR.jpg

1001211406_HDR.jpg

1001211406a_HDR.jpg

1001211406b_HDR.jpg

1001211406c_HDR.jpg

ExpoMike

That’s a clean old dodge. Haven’t seen one like that in at least ten years here in the rust belt.

One of the reasons I bought it. Super clean (like no rust underneath) and really low miles. Been in CA almost it's whole life, outside of a brief stint in AZ.

ExpoMike

You gonna get the paint code for that dodge and try to match or no?

Plan is to Raptor Liner the box and I am going to use the tintable version and use the paint code. It won't be identical but should look good. Box is too wavy (worse when hot/in sun) for real paint.

ExpoMike

Small milestone achieved. Finished the roof raise this weekend. Last part I had to do was to pull out the temp screws around the roof panel, drill out the holes to correct size and rivet in place. Given this is around 9' off the ground and I had no easy way to do this at my house, I ended up going to a good buddies house who had a two story stair ladder and a level place to do this. It was so much easier and safer doing it this way and even with all of the BS'ing we did, it still took less then 2 hours to complete. Very happy to have that project behind me. Next up will be the box swap. That's going to an interesting project but I think I have it figured out.

One really tall stair/ladder

1017211208_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles