Desert Turtle - M1010 Build

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
@zoomad75 actually I do have a question you might be able to answer. Since I only got the part you see and never seen one of these fully assembled on a truck, can you tell me what the black bracket at the back of the alt mount (pass. side bracket) is used for?

I'm not zoomad but I believe that bracket is a stabilizer for the alternator, the upper hole lines up with a hole at the top of the factory alternator and you bolt it to help support the alternator from lateral flex.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'm not zoomad but I believe that bracket is a stabilizer for the alternator, the upper hole lines up with a hole at the top of the factory alternator and you bolt it to help support the alternator from lateral flex.
Yep, it's just the rear bracket for the alternator.

ExpoMike

Little update on parts being acquired. Back in Nov. 2020 I ordered a couple more gauges from Speedhut, to match my current ones. Picked up a gas tach (for the engine swap) and a trans temp which I will put where the current 24v gauge is located. I also ordered 6, LED exterior lights from SuperBrightLED. These will work great for camp site lighting. Figured I need to get these installed and wires ran before I close up the interior. I also picked up an Alu-Cab storage box that will mount to the front of the ambulance box, over the cab. This will give me storage for wood, recovery gear and other "dirty" items. It only weighs about 40 lbs. and should work out great up there.

0122211647.jpg

0122211636.jpg

0122211637.jpg

0123211117.jpg

0123211117a.jpg

0123211117_HDR.jpg

ExpoMike

Another piece of the puzzle. I had been wanting to do a rear mounted second fuel tank, as I didn't really want to put a pass. side saddle tank in. Just a pain to have two different sides to fill up on. I had done measuring of the area where the spare was and on the M1010 and the rear steps setup, it was going to make installing a Blazer tank difficult. In measuring, it seems like a max size of 27 1/2"x 21"x11" (to bottom of box and hanging down at same level of spare).

I found this Tanks, Inc. universal tank that is 25 1/2"x18 1/4"x10" which is 15 gallons (stock short bed saddle tank is 16 gallons and long bed is 20). This should fit easily in the space, not hang down too low and allow me to setup to fill from the driver side.

Also a benefit, it has a pickup tube for a standard mechanical fuel pump setup but also has the fuel tray inside for EFI internal pump. This will allow me to get my 454 swap up and running on a carb and then over to EFI once the exhaust is completed. Hope to do some test fitting this weekend.

0311211153.jpg

0311211154.jpg

ExpoMike

WooHoo!!! After waiting months for them to be shipped back into the USA, GoWesty finally got some more Propex HS 2000 propane heaters back in. This was a big thing I have been waiting on since it really setup plans for my heat and water heater system. Just ordered the Suburban 6 gallon water heater as well. That should cover the rest of my propane items (already have the stove top), other than the tank but I think I have that figured out, assuming my new fuel tank fits where I want it.

propex_hs2000.jpg

waterheater.jpg

ExpoMike

Another piece of a very large puzzle came in. New Fiamma F45s awning. It is the 8.5' version, since the box is 9' long. I didn't want it hanging off the ends. It will be wall mounted.

0325211505.jpg

ExpoMike

First official camper item installed. Wife and I got the awning installed. Installation went well and had it done in about an hour and a half. Very happy that is done. Much rather store it on the truck than in the garage. LOL

I think I will fab up a tree branch guard at the front edge, so to not get snagged on anything.

Getting it test fitted with the two outer brackets.
0401211751_HDR.jpg

Installed with all three brackets
0401211839.jpg

0401211826a_HDR.jpg

0401211826_HDR.jpg

ExpoMike

Well this past weekend I decided I wanted to see if I could make corner pieces for the box. If these would come out good, I would do a full roof raise as it will keep thing clean looking. To do this I had to make a "die" for my press brake, so I could form aluminum sheet. Some flat stock and a piece of tubing welded together and I had my die. These actually came out great and fit the corner curve of the box perfectly. I will end up welding them to the box.

Built the die
0626211158.jpg

0626211158a (1).jpg

.125" thick aluminum plate and making bend in press brake
0626211214 (1).jpg

0626211237 (1).jpg

End results
0626211226.jpg

0626211226a.jpg

0626211314.jpg

ExpoMike

Well I finally got time and committed to my direction. The roof raise has begun. Used an air chisel and cut the rivets (technically Huckbolts) off from the backside and they popped off like butter. Then used my floor jack and a piece of tubing to start lifting the roof off the side and the sealant let go easily. I think it was about 30 minutes to get the roof free. Then I made some temp spacers out of aluminum and lifted the roof. This all went well and the roof is fairly light, just bulky. Now a couple of mistakes were made with the temp panels and total height. My plan is to raise the roof 8". For whatever reason in my head, I cut my spacers at 8" but did not account for the overlap I needed on the sides. This resulted in the roof being 7" higher. Okay, no big deal. I measured the floor to roof beam and have 72" total, up from the original 65". No worries, wife and I can stand comfortably but really wouldn't want it lower. Happiness was short lived when I realized I still need to account for the flooring, which will add about an 1". That puts me at 71" inside height. Luckily this is all temp so I can adjust before I start the side wall framing and have panels cut to fill.

Air chisel did all the easy work and lots of open holes around the top.

0731210934b.jpg

0731210934.jpg

0731210934a.jpg

Just getting the roof popped off

0731210950a.jpg

0731210950.jpg

Temp panels installed

0731211228_HDR.jpg

0731211228a_HDR.jpg

0731211229.jpg

0731211229a.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I love it, Mike!

Seeing it with the temp spacers makes me wish it would be a pop-up, but I know well just what a pain that would be, so I'm sure the "extension" will work great for you. Good work, and good luck!

ExpoMike

I love it, Mike!

Seeing it with the temp spacers makes me wish it would be a pop-up, but I know well just what a pain that would be, so I'm sure the "extension" will work great for you. Good work, and good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, I really wouldn't mind it being a popup but yeah, it really complicates a lot of things. I had been researching hard panel popup builds versus soft sides but either type would be a pain.

Now I need to sort out my material list and get that ordered.

ExpoMike

Had a very busy, tiring but productive weekend. Lots of cutting, fitting and welding done on the roof raise project. I have the two side walls and rear wall framework completed. Need to do the front wall and then skin everything. So far happy how things are turning out. Some progress pics. BTW, I have to say I am really liking my new welder. It's a Harbor Freight Titanium 170 with their Titanium 150 spool gun. I have it dedicated to doing aluminum only. I have two other MIG's for steel welding.

Cut, fit and weld, lot of this. This Fireball Tools welding square is awesome for doing this type of work.

0813211231.jpg

0813211312_HDR.jpg

Test fitting and getting ready to add top rail

0813211427_HDR.jpg

Top rail added and roof locked down with temp screws. View from outside too. I was lining them up to match the existing wall rivet pattern.

0813211712_HDR.jpg

0814211219_HDR.jpg

0814211219a_HDR.jpg

Building rear wall framework and installed

0815211518_HDR.jpg

0815211549_HDR.jpg

0815211549a_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles