Desert Rendezvous, 2011 version

suntinez

Explorer
This gathering was the brainchild of Tacodoc, after his trip to the area with XJ_Mike, XJ_Lisa and XJ_Dad last Thanksgiving. Some of us chatted about it at the Toys for Tots event, and Doc put the online word out – did we want to go? Yes, it seems we did!

Overall it was a huge success and a chance to get to meet new folks from the SoCal/AZ area. Everyone no doubt has a different tale to tell. Here's my version of the shindig last weekend off the Bradshaw trail, with lots of pics.

I was getting a little skeptical watching the list grow of just how many of us wanted to go – can you really have a low-key, non-commercial, no-agenda event with this many people? Choosing a perfect spot, setting the right expectations, but mostly having great people show up with the expo spirit – it seems you can.

I left Friday morning, was driving Tiger so opted for the short way in on Red Cloud Mine Rd. Road was a little washboardy and I was going slow. This was the first overlander I bumped into.

He's a pro, “go slow, go far”.
1a-tortosierd.jpg

And stop for tea and crumpets (whatever) when faced with a tough decision like crossing the road.
1-tortoise.jpg

Only one turn to get to camp, couldn't have been easier:
1b-turn.jpg

Driving next to the disintegrating railroad track that blazed the trail through here many years ago:
1c-RR.jpg

Arriving at camp, here's Tacodoc, XJ_Mike, gfiero, goldfish and Desert Dan already set up, looking happy and sporting the banner:
2e.jpg

I was meeting up with some people from OC and AZ so headed for the far side of camp to setup by a fire ring.

Here's the view early on:
1d-earlycamp.jpg

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
People started showing up and expo toys started rolling in:

2a.jpg

2b-1.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

rig3.jpg

cvbill and Rags drove all the way from Monterey:
2c-1.jpg

pretty sweet setup:
2f.jpg

Adventureduo’s new trailer from SoCal teardrops:

3c.jpg

Hooking up with friends:
3d.jpg

And their pups – who all got along! Excellent.
3e.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Gear showed up with his new toy, definitely the cleanest Pinz I’ve ever seen. He let some of us drive it around – this thing handles nice! Thanks Justin … it looks a little lonely here, but that didn’t last long.

2h.jpg

Just a few days before the event, Tacodoc, AT & Zach conspired to bring Overland Gourmet out to play – and not one person was unhappy about that. :elkgrin: How can you not love a guy who shows up at dark-thirty, apologizes for being late, then proceeds to setup an amazing outdoor snow peak kitchen and start feeding everyone?

Amazing munchies. Goat cheese and bacon stuffed mushrooms, bread and pistachio based dipping sauce, carmelized peaches, and some magical pork dish. I didn’t get pics, but I got a few samples :eatchicke

We started out around our own fire:
3a.jpg

where Zoe found a new lap to sit in:
3b.jpg

Heidi and I started wandering to other fires, meeting new folks and chatting. Lots of fun, and we found a Tequila bar in the middle of the desert. Imagine that.

tequilatown.jpg

We met several folk, including Desertrover in his mog with a westy poptop camper. He’s done a lot to this rig and I got inside to check it out. He shared his knowledge on solar setups and other things, and he also brought along a motorized bicycle to toodle around camp. Much later that night, we heard he’d taken a tumble from the bike in the sand – then next morning, found out he broke his collarbone. Doc had patched him up and I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye before he took off, but hope you’re ok. Can’t imagine driving a mog out with a broken collarbone was any fun.

The moon made an epic appearance:
2g.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Next morning, some folks went exploring out in the desert, some ventured to old mines or geode beds, and others went out for some target practice.

Everyone did what they wanted, very low key. Some of us stayed near camp and I went around checking out the rigs. Here's just a few:
DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

rig4.jpg

groundtent.jpg

jackalope.jpg

KLRcamp.jpg

rigteardrop.jpg

rig5.jpg

rig6.jpg

rig7.jpg

rig8.jpg

syncros.jpg

Heard that FishPOET made use of his surly winch today:
winch.jpg

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Someone had suggested we take tread lightly a step further and have a little cleanup at camp, with raffle prizes for everyone who contributed. Not money – trash.

Some awesome vendors stepped up and donated prizes – Trasharoo, Sierra Expeditions, Adventure Trailers, Overland Journal, Overland Hardware, and Overland Gourmet. (hope I got everyone)

rafflebooty.jpg

So we gathered trash, and made a pile:
gathering.jpg

Tire in a trasharoo on a tire, sorta escher-esque:
tiretown.jpg

A couple jets flew by:
jet.jpg

Found some folks playing desert-bocce, looks like a perfect green to me.

wandering.jpg

If you have steel balls! Jack thinks he nailed it:
nailedit.jpg

But the group wants to verify:
nailedwhat.jpg

As people were filtering back into camp, I climbed the little hill to get some pics:

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

Mario showed up with the AT Habitat. I’ve been looking forward to seeing this born-from-an-expo-thread product. I dragged Mario over and told him “I need the tour, I’m going in”.

He graciously showed me around, very impressive. Many well thought out improvements over the flippac, and looks like some exciting things on the horizon for them.

DSC_0194.jpg

J8habitat.jpg

J8stuart.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Zach was busy with his volunteer prep crew marinating carne asada for the taco feast.

prep1.jpg

prep2.jpg

1leg guarding the goods before cooking:
watchovertacos.jpg

Gathering around for the raffle:
rafflestart.jpg

raffletime.jpg

I won the ARB snatch strap from Sierra Expeditions – thanks Wil! Most everyone walked away with something.

After the raffle we headed back to our camp to start cooking dinner. SoCal_80 had brought a smoker and he got everything setup. This thing is cool – I got to see it in action a month ago in the Mojave.

smokerstart.jpg

It gets filled with woodchip pellets and liquid for the smoke, filled with meat and covered up to cook. Yummy.

All the dogs were so good, and got along so well that everyone got treats:

oldfriends.jpg

puplove.jpg

treattime.jpg

Then we got the word that BLM had showed up and wanted everyone where we were to move closer to the road. We had just started cooking weren't thrilled about the news – we were at already established firerings and there was a road of sorts right by us. But whatever, mostly out of respect for Doc, we broke camp and moved.

newsdelivery.jpg

movingtime.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
After relocating, half our group got out of the wind on the other side of the hill, but we gathered back for tacos.

Zach says watch this – I’m gonna feed all these people!
zach2.jpg

Another pyro comes out of the closet – Dave had a blast with the snow peak torch:
pyro.jpg

The tacos were delish, and Zach breaks out the carmelized peaches again – with a bit of a rum kick this time. Overland Gourmet rocked it!

And the smoking efforts – tri-tip, chicken, jumbalaya, burgers, and someone made carmelized pork chops. Holy cow, Sean and crew kicked it right out of the park – I’ve never had such tender flavorful meat, camping or elsewhere.

smokinresults.jpg

Some tequila survived last night:
tequilatoo.jpg

Jack let us play with his bottle rocket launcher:
launching.jpg

Time to make use of the woodpile:
woodpile.jpg

fire.jpg

Lots of real chatting, with a real fire. Not a keyboard in sight :)

fire2.jpg

fire1.jpg

The moon finally peeked up over the clouds, and shone bright all night. Nothing quite like a desert moon.

moonrising.jpg

satnitemoon.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Morning came all too soon, and folks said their goodbyes. With weather approaching I headed out mid-morning.

My auxiliary battery rattled out of its strap and enclosure, it was hanging by its cables one time when I stopped to check the tires. So I put it all back in, and went slow the rest of the way.

A couple folks I never spoke with passed me on the road, next time!!

wayout.jpg

Going slow has its advantages, I spotted this guy on the way out. They usually travel in groups but I only saw this one.

wayoutsheep.jpg

Dropped Tiger at its winter home, picked up the Tundra and got home just as snow was starting to fall.
snowhome.jpg

What a great weekend, props to everyone who put it together, and everyone who showed up to make it memorable.

Can’t wait to do it again. :victory:

FishPOET

Adventurer
Fantastic trip report and pictures Linda!

So it was you that started the hoodlum crew campsite :)
1d-earlycamp.jpg

Incredible sight and a great capture with the camera.
wayoutsheep.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
So it was you that started the hoodlum crew campsite :)

Yeah I'm a closet hoodlum instigator, details only at a campfire ;)

Jack great meeting you too - what do you call that Scrambler hybrid creature that you brought? I've been calling it a a jackalope. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior