Depth sensing for fording

spacer

Observer
Sorry if I didn't search well enough, but haven't run across this here yet.

I've heard some new higher-end trucks have fording sonar built in now, and wonder if anyone here has tried a more DIY approach, either using an off the shelf sonar (modified or otherwise) or some other means of testing the water's depth ahead of the vehicle. Maybe even mechanical...

I was just watching footage of some of the folks helping with the rescue effort in Houston a while back, some jacked up trucks were really shining there... and the thought occurred that if a roadway had been washed out under all that water, even one of those impressive machines could be put into some dire straits. (and no chicks for free....)

When traveling in less well mapped areas, seems like it might be a nice tool to have handy.

jeepgc

Adventurer
I second the stick.

If you're going to be fording cold water, get some waders.

Use trekking poles to give you the stability you need in the water and to measure the depth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That tech barely works in fishing boats.

Bathing suit and scuba booties. You'll miss out on the floating beer if you stay in the truck too much:
zkatrinalootingou1.jpg

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I too favor the old school;
Have your most "Hey y'all watch this!" friend go first.
If you have to pull his vehicle back to shore or if he floats downstream its likely too deep.
When your wallet gets wet, or if the water comes over your tailgate; its definitely too deep.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
Before fording water you have to walk across it.

This serves two purposes: 1) to gauge depth 2) to know what's on the bottom (if you have murky water this is critical)

Down here we generally draw the line at waist deep (around 1 meter deep?) for low current creeks with no obstacles on the bottom, off course using snorkels and every precaution for our vehicles.

If you've crossed a river/creek/puddle/whatever before this is not necessary, but its always good practice.

Sonars? Pff.

Explorerinil

Observer
Sorry if I didn't search well enough, but haven't run across this here yet.

I've heard some new higher-end trucks have fording sonar built in now, and wonder if anyone here has tried a more DIY approach, either using an off the shelf sonar (modified or otherwise) or some other means of testing the water's depth ahead of the vehicle. Maybe even mechanical...

I was just watching footage of some of the folks helping with the rescue effort in Houston a while back, some jacked up trucks were really shining there... and the thought occurred that if a roadway had been washed out under all that water, even one of those impressive machines could be put into some dire straits. (and no chicks for free....)

When traveling in less well mapped areas, seems like it might be a nice tool to have handy.
I have not heard that, I personally put on some knee high rubber boots and walk it, water starts to go over the boot, I don’t enter, hasn’t failed me in the 23 years or so I have been driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles