Departure angle and location of spare tire on Pinz 710M

Hugues

Just starting to convert a Pinzgauer 710M to an expedition vehicle.
Trying to find the good layout for my box.
2 questions:
- The 710M is a little short and I need some extra space at the back of the truck for a standing shower and toilet.
So I've extended the box about 70cm (27.5 inches) behind the current end of the truck. Not much weight in that extension.
But my departure angle is reduced from about 45deg currently to around 31 degrees with the extension, as pictured below.
Is 31 deg enough to overland in Africa, Asia, South America ? Ideally feed-back from someone who has experience in these countries.
I don't intend to go extreme off-road, but will be nice to go off the beaten path to get away from the crowd. So muddy roads, gravel, pot holes, small rocks, inclines (but not extreme).

departure angle.JPG

-Second question. I would like to have the entry door at the back in this extension.
Would be easier if I could mount the spare wheel on the side of the truck, towards the rear, not too far from the rear axle.
Eventually one spare wheel on each side. Picture below.
Any issues with mounting the spare wheel on the side of the truck ?

spare wheel on side.JPG

Hugues

For the departure angle, as a starting point, a good reference is the Landrover Defender 110 that we often see on these overland trips.
Specs shows below the departure angle at 35 deg, without tow hitch.
So I guess my 31deg is not completely crazy.
And my ramp angle is better with this short wheel base and high ground clearance.
Approach angle is also great on Pinz.

Another reference is the Toyota Land Cruiser (J71 for example), which does not appear to have much more than 30 deg.

Defender 110 departure angle.JPG

Wazak

What materials are you using for the camper body?
I'd have thought that a 710 is a tad short.

Hugues

What materials are you using for the camper body?
I'd have thought that a 710 is a tad short.
For the box I'll be using foam panels re-inforced with fiberglass sheets on each side, I found some locally, they use recycled PET inside.
They are quite light, all the panels for the box will not weigh more than the current structure on the Pinz which will be removed (side and rear steel panels, tarp and its structure).
So the box panels add no extra weight to my conversion.

I extend the box by 60cm on the rear to be able to fit a standing shower and toilet.
Internal dimensions will be :
162 cm wide
176 cm high (this way it still fits through the door of a 40' high cube container), could probably go to 180cm
287 cm long
then the rear panel can be folded down and create a "patio" area with a tent, so an extra 1m78 of length can be gained that way.
I've decide to attach the spare tire at the back finally, and move all jerry cans to the under side, this way all the truck sides are clear and nothing will get caught in branches...

truck v3.JPG

Wazak

It will be interesting to follow your build on this.
We, my wife and me have looked at quite a few Pinzgaures and got to drive a 718 T bodied one off road which was amazing, and definitely sold us on the idea.
I need to get my finger out and sell my present camper before I can buy anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior