Denver Outfitters - OverRoam RTT

rnArmy

Adventurer
I haven't been back to Brockton (or Massachusetts) since 1995 when my Dad and I took a trip up there. In 1968 he packed up Mom and us five kids (I was seven at the time) to Florida and never looked back. He got tired of the winters up there, and one February he and Mom flew to Florida for my aunt's wedding, and decided Florida was going to be home. Florida's too hot and flat for me.

My Dad used to work in a bank up there (Plymouth Home National Bank) and he's mentioned Rocky Marciano coming into the bank.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Yeesh.....yeah no thanks to FL....I hate the heat. Take care! And thank you for your service. Know that its very much appreciated.

hitek79

Explorer
I'm a OverRoam owner. Just picked one up about 2 weeks ago. I have not had a chance to camp in it yet though. I will certainly keep everyone updated. I live in Colorado, so didn't have to pay shipping, as I went to their office and picked it up. I paid $2680 out the door. This is my first RTT so I'm definitely curious to see how it all works out.

I'm a OverRoam owner. Just picked one up about 2 weeks ago. I have not had a chance to camp in it yet though. I will certainly keep everyone updated. I live in Colorado, so didn't have to pay shipping, as I went to their office and picked it up. I paid $2680 out the door. This is my first RTT so I'm definitely curious to see how it all works out.

Please do let us know!

Box Rocket

I should point out the nearly all Australian brand tents are also made in China.
As has been mentioned, quality control is the key. Tepui, for example, which is also manufactured in China, has an excellent reputation for quality. Much of that is a result of them being the only brand that I'm aware of that employs someone on-site at the factory to do quality control. Most other brands rely on factory QC which may not be as thorough or as knowledgeable about how the tents get used.
Brings up another point that is good to clarify from time to time. Many think that all Chinese tents come out of the same factory with a different logo printed on it for the different brands. That's simply not the case. There are dozens of factories in China that are manufacturing roof tents, all with differing levels of quality and materials used. As more and more brands pop up all the time, there's usually a reason that any particular brand is cheaper price than others. That comes at the expense of materials, workmanship and QC in almost every case. Regardless of the brand you choose, do some homework and find the best value.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer

Please do, and include pictures of the good and bad (hopefully there's no bad). I want to hear your opinion after you've used it a few times.

CCH

Adventurer

Bumping this up to see if you've been able to try yours out and what you think of it. I haven't priced all the other options out there, but considering the included roof rack this does seem like a bargain.

ADVSubaru

Observer
How are we going to talk about Denver Outfitters and not mention this beaut. ;)

Q421po4.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
How are we going to talk about Denver Outfitters and not mention this beaut. ;)

Q421po4.jpg

Read through your Subaru Crosstrek thread (pictures don't load by-the-way). We just recently bought a 2017 model after our 2003 Kia Sorrento died (when they say interference engine, they're not kidding). So I googled Primitive Racing. Cool stuff for the Crosstrek - thanks for sending me in their direction. Of course I had to promise my wife I wouldn't modify her Subaru (that's why I have two Jeeps and a 4x4 truck to play with) but I've got the info filed away just-in-case. Thanks.

And is that the Denver RTT we've been talking about on your Subaru in the picture? How do you like it? Their website talked a lot of hype; but was it just hype or was it legit? I want to believe it.

Last edited:

ADVSubaru

Observer
Read through your Subaru Crosstrek thread (pictures don't load by-the-way). We just recently bought a 2017 model after our 2003 Kia Sorrento died (when they say interference engine, they're not kidding). So I googled Primitive Racing. Cool stuff for the Crosstrek - thanks for sending me in their direction. Of course I had to promise my wife I wouldn't modify her Subaru (that's why I have two Jeeps and a 4x4 truck to play with) but I've got the info filed away just-in-case. Thanks.

And is that the Denver RTT we've been talking about on your Subaru in the picture? How do you like it? Their website talked a lot of hype; but was it just hype or was it legit? I want to believe it.

That is the Denver Outfitters one but it isn't mine. The owner is @jimurl on Instagram.

hitek79

Explorer
Just giving an update finally. I've used the tent quite a few times over the summer, and as of now I'm happy with it. I understand that the real story on these tents is how they hold up over 4 years or so, but this is what I've got so far.

vectorsc

Adventurer
http://www.roosttents.com/roost_store.php
Made in USA.

Great points! One has to wonder how many people in Chinese factories are camping in a roof top tents. South African and Australian companies are passionate about their quality.

I really thought the Denver Outfitter Tents were made in the US! Glad someone here did the home work.

Rusting screws? I have been back packing for 40 years and never once seen a rusty screw on any of my back packing equipment. Car camping equipment is another story. Most if not all of my Coleman camping stoves have rust.

I think the small Auto Home Maggiolina Extreme RTT for $500 is probably a better value for long term use. Auto Home has history.

I would buy an American RTT in a hear beat if everything were made stateside by people who use the tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roofnest

Roofnest Sparrow X

To my knowledge, Roost tents are not made in the USA - their company's offices, etc are in the USA but the tents are made overseas. (As are my tents. :) ) You'll notice that on their website, they do not ever mention "our tents are made in the USA".

I have been selling my Sparrow X for over a year and the tent that Denver Outfitters sells is made in the same factory as my Sparrow X. Roofnest has a different production line than Den Outfitters and we've created some cool upgrades to our version of this tent. We've got a handful in stock now and more arriving by the end of January. Our price on this tent is $2495. Please fire away with questions if you have any!

GlenSparrowX.jpg

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
. We've got a handful in stock now and more arriving by the end of January. Our price on this tent is $2495. Please fire away with questions if you have any!

very interesting looking and local for me are some bonuses.

are they all gas strut? i'm a hand crank fan too, but i admit i don't have experience with rtt's with struts. i do have experience with struts on lift gates and hoods and i do cold weather camp. i know how well they don't work in the cold. are there "locks" in place to keep the struts from slipping down at all in wind or if failing?

also can't tell from the pictures, is there any sort of insulated lining on the ceiling? it looks like their might be a cloth, but doesn't look insulated.

my maggiolina is beyond ancient and in need of a serious refresh of which some of things that need work, maggiolina has said i'm s.o.l. due to it's age, so i may be in the market, or i may fabricate...

Attachments

• IMG_20141228_072436_059.jpg
    IMG_20141228_072436_059.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles