Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

prasamin

Places to stay

I know it's no third world country or a "trek" per-se, but both of you have places to stay in the United States (Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, New York, D.C., Philadelphia, Miami, and numerous other locations) if you ever decide to make the trip. I am also in school in India, and I have family/houses in a few cities here, and I would love to have you over to stay anytime you may be driving through my area.

If by some far-fetched chance, you actually decide to make a trip, contact me on the forum via a message or email, and I would be happy to have y'all visit!

I know it's random, but your journey is truly inspirational.

-Prashant-

taco2go

Explorer
This was one my favorite pictures in the thread, and it was fun to draw as well. :)

1124295710_ADR3P-L.jpg

High Center

Adventurer
F&J
Please allow me to add my voice to the chorus of thanks. Your intrepid nature and well thought approach to the world has inspired me to look differently on a few things.

Best,
DB

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I know it's no third world country or a "trek" per-se, but both of you have places to stay in the United States (Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, New York, D.C., Philadelphia, Miami, and numerous other locations)

Add the North Shore of Lake Superior to that list!

You are welcome at my place anytime.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Hey Taco2go, think you could make a sketch of that chess set, since there don't seem to be any pictures? We're dying here... :wings:

taco2go

Explorer
Haha!
maybe this picture from a set in the maryhill museum of art will tide you over in the mean time.....

1125176501_VAdhP-M.jpg

jpvm

Explorer
Guys, have you noticed that they're gone ? :sombrero::sombrero: since 12 days we are building castles in the air with no feedback. These freinds must be on the road having a great time and we are stuck in our keyboards.

ItsaCJ6

Bravo

Amazing story, vivid details and great writing. That you so much for sharing. I was linked this story from a 4x4 website and I loved your adventure.
Cheers.

Bangalorean

Yes, this thread made me register here :sombrero:

This is probably the most awesome travelogue I have read in years.

I have a question for you Fred: I gather that you have traveled in Siberia, the 'Stan states, other parts of Africa, and so on. Please tell me that you have notes of all those expeditions, and that you'll post them here soon. :ylsmoke:

CruiserArtist

Observer
Republic of Congo

Incredible journey F & J, thank you soooo very much for taking the time to allow us to read about it. I would definitely buy a book narrating all of your travels so far, and it might fund another trip!:smiley_drive:

SRUPike

Observer
Thank you!

Frederik and Josephine,

I spent 6 wonderful hours today reading the 75 pages of your accounts. :coffee: And the added antidotes of the peanut gallery.

Thank you for sharing your personal experiances!

I have a wanderlust and a bad case of Africa Fever, and hope to go back shortly.

Thank you for fueling the fire, and not falling victim to the negativity that seem to plague forum boards on the internet in general. Anonymity seems to allow people to lob grenades, and watch the :lurk:

"I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter."
Walt Disney

davidcmarcus

Impracticable!

Hi F & J.

I spent 2 hours printing each of the 73 pages of your trip report last week, as I planned to read it while travelling through Africa...

I then went away to our family farm, to fetch my motorcycle, to sell it, so that I can get more money to continue my trip I am currently busy with through Africa...

During October, while I was in between Lubumbashi and Kinshasa - I think it was close to Mwene-Ditu actually, my friend told me there is a Belgian couple behind me, doing the exact same route, and having the same problems...

I didn't believe him, but then found out you actually did the trip 2 years ago, but were only writing a trip report about it now...

I am currently in Cape Town, taking a short 2 week break out of my journey - it took us 33 days to do a very similar route to yours, except in a Land Rover, and we took the Tshikapa route...

I have many stories to share with you, and would love to write up a report, but too busy shopping for spares to fix my Landy - which is currently at the airport carpark in Douala, Cameroon...

We also drove through that private farm road, and we had to take off (completely) our RTT (at night), to get through!

Thank you for your report - it brought tears and joy to me on too many occasions, and funnily enough, I miss the begging children of the Congo - I miss the DGM arresting me and demanding another 100 dollars for "enregstrement", or the ANR confiscating my passport, or my embassy telling me I have to pay the bribe...

Attached is a picture of Naija, half way through - in Lusuku.
I rode my bicycle to Luputa, and then got a truck to Mwene-Ditu - to find another electric fuel pump...

Some things that went wrong with my vehicle:
Brakes, Clutch, Tyres, Fuel Tank - all FUBAR!
Many "solution africaine" en route...

I haven't kept any notes, I sold 2 of my cameras and my trailer in Congo - to pay for repairs to my vehicle; my laptop got stolen, and my friend's laptop and cameras and 13000 pictures got stolen in Libreville 2 weeks ago, so all we have left are a few pictures and Leon's blog, you can read it here:

http://gimmeaurlalready.wordpress.com/2010/10/

I wrote a book (Manic Missions) about my travels a few years ago, and "self-published" it online - free to download here if you want:
http://www.lulu.com/product/file-do...ndu-bash-through-10-african-countries/1164945

Since then I have done many trips, including taking my 1983 Yamaha 600 Tenere from Cape Town to Lagos (100 days) including over a month in DRC, that time on the Congo river from Kinshasa to Lisala, and through Centrafrique, getting malaria twice, leaving the bike in Nigeria, and returning a year later to by the bullet proof embassy land rover from the South African High Commission in Lagos, for US$1500!

Hope to meet you when I get to Europe - if I can find a way through the desert...

Dave

Attachments

• dave on bicycle in DRC.jpg
    dave on bicycle in DRC.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 244
  • naija in lusuku.jpg
    naija in lusuku.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, David!

I hope you can find time to write a brief summary of your experiences driving in DRC in 2010, particularly about the route via Tshikapa. It would be a great addition to the information and experiences shared in this thread.

I hope you're successful in raising the funds to get back on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke