Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Frederik and Josephine, thank you both so much for sharing your trip with us here. It's an amazing story and adventure,

i very much enjoyed the writing style with cliif hangers!, and the summary explaining your state of mind and opinions at the end.

Thank You for the content that no doubt is exactly what the founders of this forum envisioned years back, it was refreshing. I would love to read more of your other travels.

Now, for petes sake.. please share a pic of the Chess set!

booser

Excellent read. I'm not a 4x4 person or adventurer or traveler(I'm not even sure what this message board/website is about yet).... I actually found this linked from a college sports forum and couldn't put it down after I started reading it. Very nicely written and what an amazing experience. I couldn't imagine doing something like you did and am amazed that you could just sell all of your belongings, quit your jobs and start travelling. Truly awesome!

Good luck to everyone on their journeys, i think i'll be checking back once in a while to read about some more adventures.

deftonesboy360

Wow Frederik on the amazing report, especially two years later to be able to go into that kind of detail. Josephine, you must take good notes, you sure take great photos! I am new here like many others and have absolutely no overland experience. So to set out on a two year expedition is quite a feat. I have been glued to this report any chance I get the past week reading it from start to finish. It really does sound like it would make a great book!

My question is you obviously had to have a lot of money with you to travel for two years and probably could rely very little on banks or ATMs. I know by the time you got to the DRC it was towards the end of your trip so you had less cash with you but you went through some dangerous places before that. How did you keep from getting robbed? Especially in the DRC where the locals knew you had money due to their begging and when you paid them for their help? I would feel paranoid traveling with thousands of dollars in cash in my car somewhere.

I look forward to reading more reports from you guys and will continue to check your website to where you guys have been!

mgb

wonder

Great story, loved the whole thing. You did many things differently than I would have, but let's face it I won't be doing anything of the sort any time soon. I am headed to India soon, that's not in the same league.

Anyway, I just wanted to console you a little regarding the negative attention you've gotten. It would bug me too, but at the end of the day doing anything worth writing about - then writing about it on the internet - will get you flooded with second guessers, nay sayers, and general downers. Don't let them bother you.

Well done!

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
dibaya005.jpg
Next time take a Mitsubishi... J/K :D

This has to be one of the most epic adventures I've read, it has an air of 19th century exploration adventure to it!

Mocca

Thank you

Fredrik and Josephine

Thank you very much for the effort of writing up the trip report and sharing. It is a captivating story, I've told everyone I've talked to over the last 5 days about it, am a newly registered member just to say thanks and I look forward to future posts.

Brilliant
Cheers
Matt

lcool80

What a fantastic adventure. :Wow1:
Thankyou very much Fredrik and Josephine for all the effort you`ve obviously put into this thread to share your story with us.

PS
I was put onto this thread after reading a post on lcool.org (a Landcruiser site started in Australia) by a poster called Todd.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Reminder - the presentation is tomorrow at 11:00 am Pacific Time.

We will start the session 1hr earlier to give people time to familiarize themselves with the Webex tool.

Quick agenda:

-Introduction from Martin (The Africa Network) and Scott (Expeditions West)
-Josephine and Frederik presentation of their 2 years journey around the world.
-Q&A

In addition to discussing the Congo, F&J will be presenting their entire trip - they have some great stories!

It will be possible to join even if you have not registered yet.

-------------------------------------------------------
To join the online meeting
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Go to https://expeditionswest.webex.com/expeditionswest
2. If requested, enter your name and email address.
3. If a password is required, enter the meeting password: overlandlive
4. Click "Join".

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
comparisons to my own experience...

Quite funnily this also describes the West of Ireland where i live.

it also reminds me (in some specific way) of three years living in Uptown New Orleans, and of both of my tours in Iraq... and I'm not trying to be funny... I actually thought this several times whilst reading F+Js postings..

(that specifc way being the immersion into a culture so different from your own, so apparently corrupt, illogical, or bankrupt to you, yet so normal and accepted to those within it..)

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
In addition to another thank you for the effort to share this experience with us, I also thank you for pointing out that something that I thought was nearly lost really is not. Given the way the world changes, and the pace of those changes, there is apparently a never ending array of places to seek out true adventures. In our paved, air conditioned, outsourced, and self-undulgent American world, one can quickly (and egregiously incorrectly) assume the rest of the world is just another freeway to drive through with the cruise control and sattelite radio on. Perhaps with a dirt side road to turn off of. I would like to think that I am not quite the generalized description above, but I certainly have learned much from your descriptions. For better and worse, the internet is an amazing source of truth, lies, experience, and amazing stories. It is a template of humanity.

Thanks again for sharing a shining example of a most human experience.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Consider this technique if you dont have a winch.
I Googled it from Landyonline.co.za, but have known of this technique for years.

Remember the winch is going to move toward the anchor at half the rate that the load does.

Try this with two pencils first to get the hang of it.

That is very very cool and something I would like to play around with sometime, of course I will have to wait till I am somewhere with more trees as we are short on those here in the desert.
Still great idea and good to know it does work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles