Adventurer
Progress after 31 days since we left Lubumbashi. 36 days since we entered Congo
Kikwit

congo_democratic_republic_map-day31.jpg

1614396822182.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Amtprod

kikwit006.jpg

I must admit I don't like asphalt. I enjoy driving on dirt roads. Josephine does not always agree with me regarding that matter. But this time I was properply pleased to see this. It would take the stress out of our rear axle. And it was good to know that our 4th and 5th gear were still there! ;-)

The road is Chinese made. You can recognize the chinese from a distance by the big straw hats they wear. Everywhere in Congo people, especially kids, would shout "Chinois" (Chinese in French) to us. For many Congolese everybody who is not black is "Chinois". That is due to the large community of Chinese living in Congo.

The relationship between China and Congo is worrying to say the least. I will not bore you to death with the details, but if you are interested, do a google search on the deals regarding the mining concessions and you will find plenty to read.
In short: China has lend Congo many billions for rebuilding their infrastructure. Almost all infrastructure works are then outsourced to.. Chinese companies. The chinese companies bring their own - underpaid - workforce and provide little to no employment to the local population. In return for the loan China gets huge mining concessions. Astronomical 'signature fees' were appointed to the officials who signed the contracts ofcourse. The whole deal is immensly beneficial for the Chinese, but the question is what is in it for the Congolese?
And what happens when the 5 billion is spent? They'll have a few nice roads and bridges. But what about maintenance of this infrastructure?

After a few police checks (no more talks about the permit here... ) we arrive din Kikwit. So many people on the street! Such a big city! We got lost a few times but eventually arrived in the mission of the Frère Oblats (Oblates). A very energetic Congolese, Frère Jean-Marie welcomes us. We had also hoped to meet Frère Léon, a belgian missionary, but unfortunately he was in Kinshasa. The mission has Internet access (via satelite, only a few hours a day) and a guest house where we set up our camp.

When the darkness fell it was striking how little light we could see in this big city. Kikwit has an estimated population in excess of 300.000 people. But there is no electricity. The rich can afford to run a generator for a few hours a day, the rest has to make do with candles, oil lamps or nothing at all.

Hey guys. Had to laugh when I read this. Just returned from Cambodia working on a documentary for a few months. I had come across this exact same issue there with the Cambodian government outright selling off enormous plots of land, mines, farm land, oil rights, coastal regions to the Chinese, as well as the Vietnamese. They would do the same as you wrote: bring in their own workers, create a company town, drive out the local villagers for a few hundred dollars, and then ship all food and resources to China/Vietnam. The money goes directly to the Khmer government...which then goes directly to the leaders, and not so much to buld infrastructure and creating a more sustainable Cambodia. It's heart breaking. The Khmer Rouge took their land, and lives years ago, and it's happening again in the name of 'progress'.

Amazing trek! I will be sharing with a colleague as we plan to go to Mozambique and Swaziland to continue documentary work.

Some images from Cambodia, and a few of the Khmer Rouge survivors there; some on what was their land, and now Chinese controlled villages.
http://www.amtproductions.com/TPO_Finals/index.html

Safe travels to you both!!!

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Hey guys. Had to laugh when I read this. Just returned from Cambodia..

Hi Amtprod! I guess its the same everywhere in the world, even in the 'developed' world. But I have never seen in it such a large scale as in DRC.

Cambodia is a great country. The population there has been trough hell and yet they are so friendly and hopeful. Really lovely people! Last year we got a bit lost in the Cambodian jungle on our bikes... but that's another trip report :bike_rider:

I just did a bit of number crunching... for those who are interested, and wondering about the distance covered in relation to time and in comparison to something we (in the U.S.) may be more familiar with...

The area of DRC is similar to the combination of area of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico.

The distance that Josephine covered so far in this trip report is the approximately the same in direction and shape as going from Dallas, TX to Pueblo, CO then turning southwest to Durango, Co. Around 1000 miles, roughly.

But, the time googlemaps has suggested it would take to do this is 17 hours and change. If my math is right.... it is 43 times faster to do the same distance on Hwys in the U.S. !!!

boozewz

Observer
Frederik....your adventure is so compelling it has brought out a large number of long time lurkers who signed up and posted their first post here, myself included. This is simply a riveting account!

Quick question: how much range do you get on a full tank on the 75? Did you carry spare fuel? If so, did you ever have to use it?

Go on son! Go on!

BattleWagon

After three days of reading this thread on and off at work (hopefully the boss man isn't looking), I'm all caught up in this epic adventure...

And now I have to wait for the lastest update like everyone else :(

targa88

Explorer
Unbelievable journey. Truly riveting account of your trip. We are able to vicariously experience the suspense of each step.
I admire your resolve/courage to undertake such an expedition. You are lucky that you have such a supportive partner.
I can't find it in the thread - but you do make some comment about what your partner felt about the situations you were in (almost continuously).
I would be curious, in the wrap up/and in retrospect what the final impression were.

Wander

Expedition Leader
There was an interesting and disturbing report about corruption and violence in the DRC on BBC World Report yesturday. I was glad that you two are finished with the expedition. The reports of the rape gangs was especially disturbing.

Amtprod

Hi Amtprod! I guess its the same everywhere in the world, even in the 'developed' world. But I have never seen in it such a large scale as in DRC.

Cambodia is a great country. The population there has been trough hell and yet they are so friendly and hopeful. Really lovely people! Last year we got a bit lost in the Cambodian jungle on our bikes... but that's another trip report :bike_rider:

Cambodia is great for so many reasons. The NGO we worked with had actually informed us on the same issues you mentioned in the DRC. We were thinking of working there as well. Now, however.....maybe not! :)
They have dealt with so much there since the Rouge and their fall. Similar to what you are seeing there in DRC; a lot of begging, a lot that can be done with a simple $1 USD, corruption, etc. However, it is rare to be able to find so many willing to help, simply because you ask.

When you are bored, would love to hear/see your bike trip through Cambodia! First, however, survive this one, eh?!

Cheers to you both, and thank you for the education by proxy.

Alan

hillstrubl

Observer
Frederik....your adventure is so compelling it has brought out a large number of long time lurkers who signed up and posted their first post here, myself included. This is simply a riveting account!

Quick question: how much range do you get on a full tank on the 75? Did you carry spare fuel? If so, did you ever have to use it?

Go on son! Go on!
- add me to that list

Frederick and Josephine,

you 2 are an inspiration. Your patience alone deserves more praise than I can possibly say in 1 post.

Offtopic sidenote ~ wifey and I LOVE Belgian Beer too, our trip to Brussels in 2007 was one of the best trips we'd ever been on. The Belgian people couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating.

Last edited:

1962siia88

Wow!!!! I just read through this entire thread! Thanks so much for telling your story! I will never do a trip like this but I so much appreciate that you guys did and are sharing your adventure here! Fantastic!

Cant wait for the next installment!

Thanks,

Daniel:lurk:

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Both,
many thanks for your posts, inspring and disturbing at the same time it has kept me enthralled when i should have been working.
I'm already an hour late to a site visit because i wanted to get to the end (P44) of the posts.!

To think in the 60's the congo had a thiving economy, roads & schools and a future.. i dont know how long it will take to sort its self out if ever.

Your posts and photos give meat to the dry news I read on the BBC africa websites, with the intervention of the many outside sources of conflict from religion to foreign governments and now the drugs cartels I think the east of africa has a rutted track to a peaceful future.

I'd like to buy you both a beer if you are at the alrad show in germany 2011

you both put the "A" in adventure travel... bonne route..!

regards

Gren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94