Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

viatierra

Explorer
And.... there went my Saturday. Nothing to do now but reach into my own emergency stash take a sip and ponder the immense size of your brass Belgian balls.

Mamontof

Explorer
Barthélémy gave us a letter for his friend, the captain of the next ferry. It was written in Lingala, but we could make out a few words. The letter was about us but we did not know what it said. Would it be some good words for us? Or would it be some tips on how to extort the maximum amount of money out of us? We did not ask about the condition of the next ferry... It was probably better that we didn't know at the time..

Hay much your vision regarding Humanity will change in the end of that trip ?

Be bitten by corruption and road condition that bad - only you handle Great :victory:

Loosing trust to people friendship , here where "Angola/Africa" could win

Magnificent Trip and great Reportage !
Thank you !!!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I'm really enjoying your story and can't imagine the poverty and hardship those people must endure.

I notice your bullbar seems to be winch ready. Do you not have a winch on the truck? Seems it would come in handy with all the bogs you get stuck in!

I have been thinking this myself throughout the report. You could have sped things up considerably with one. Another vehicle in convoy would have been great as well. This is basically the Camel Trophy with no support whatsoever.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I have yet to hear the terms "gear testing," "lockers and a winch," "digital SLR," "Pelican case," or "ARB" used once.

Just sayin'.

Kudos to getting the Portal back to its roots, Frederik and Josephine. We love your story. Thank you for sharing, and as importantly, for the inspiration.

Very refreshing. We all pretty much know what gear is out there by now, in spades. Let's get back to using it.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Finally some free show for local :ylsmoke:

If all take a rope .... car will be free in few minutes

Ha ha, so true. My grandparents and dad were missionaries in Cameroon for 40 years. Whenever their truck got stuck, they would just get a crowd of locals together and they would push them out in no time.

Last edited:

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Keep it coming! It's amazing to see how many people are following us on this little trip!

Stay tuned.. we are not there yet ;-)

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
The 'jetty' on the opposite side of the Kasai river used to have a nice concrete ramp, but it had long disintegrated. To get of the boat we were litterally dropped on the muddy shore. Scary!

There was a little village here, and our hopes for better roads vanished as soon we left the village.

kabombo068.jpg

1614391605508.png

The road was no more then a tight single track. It is barely possible to pass trough here with a bicycle. After having verified that this is indeed the only track leading out of here we had no choice but to drive trough it. Half of the car was cuting trough the bushes. The amount of spiders and other critters that we took along for a ride was staggering. It was impossible to keep the windows open because of the debri that was coming in. It was also impossible to keep the windows closed because it was so hot.

kabombo069.jpg

1614391620097.png

kabombo070.jpg

1614391641118.png

This went on for kilometers on end. Spiders were atually building a web on the inside of our windscreen.

And then we tipped over again.

kabombo097.jpg

1614391657037.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rustyjames

Observer
Amazing

WOW! It seems these "roads" just keep getting more difficult as the days go by. Awesome maneuvering to get your truck through these tight spaces. I find myself sitting at the edge of my seat waiting for your next post. I'm impressed by the way you stand your ground in a foreign country surrounded by locals. You truly have adventurous spirits! Thank you for sharing this great journey.

Expedition Key

Adventurer
kabombo070.jpg

This went on for kilometers on end. Spiders were atually building a web on the inside of our windscreen.

kabombo097.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well I have a solution to the tipping over issue, just run 40" tires on the trench side and stockers on the high side... :smiley_drive:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
kabombo070.jpg

kabombo097.jpg

Well I have a solution to the tipping over issue, just run 40" tires on the trench side and stockers on the high side... :smiley_drive:[/QUOTE]

How about air suspension all around with manual control for each wheel? Then just pump up the rut side and air down the high side. :)

Mamontof

Explorer
Well I have a solution to the tipping over issue, just run 40" tires on the trench side and stockers on the high side... :smiley_drive:

How about air suspension all around with manual control for each wheel? Then just pump up the rut side and air down the high side. :)[/QUOTE]

Every body have a great suggestions what cost a $$$$ , the complication "Real

Travelers" can not even let them self have a Winch ( as choice to have

Winch mean less time to travel ( we all have a Budget )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94