Delorme PN-60

gravedgr

SE Expedition Society
We are considering a handheld gps to mark all our offroading trails. On other sites I frequent, it is pretty much the defacto choice (SE or normal, w/ or w/out SPOT).

What does everyone here think?

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I'm in the same situation you are in. Garmin recently added the Montana model so add that unit to your research. I'm torn between those two right now.

pods8

Explorer
I really like my PN-40 and the ability to download aerial imagery to load onto the unit. I don't think one would go wrong with the 60.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Something to keep in mind if you are considering using the PN-60 in your Xterra. It has no external antenna connection. I have used a PN-40 for a couple years - but mainly on my quad and dirt bike. It will not pick up a signal in my metal-roofed rigs so I am using a Garmin Nuvi loaded with topo maps and connected to a Gilsson magnetic-base antenna that sits on the roof and gives me max signal strength on all satellites. You might consider a Montana as one of the other posters suggested, or other unit with an external antenna connection port.

gravedgr

SE Expedition Society
Something to keep in mind if you are considering using the PN-60 in your Xterra. It has no external antenna connection. I have used a PN-40 for a couple years - but mainly on my quad and dirt bike. It will not pick up a signal in my metal-roofed rigs so I am using a Garmin Nuvi loaded with topo maps and connected to a Gilsson magnetic-base antenna that sits on the roof and gives me max signal strength on all satellites. You might consider a Montana as one of the other posters suggested, or other unit with an external antenna connection port.

That's a good point, and one I hadn't considered. Poking around the Internet, I found this discussion and picked up some other points:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604257
I'm still leaning toward the PN-60, but I might take it for a test drive and test reception.

preacherman

Explorer
I have a pn-60 w spot and like it quite a bit. You can download maps and send messages to Facebook or mobil phones and it locks onto sats quickly. My only complaint is the computer program that comes with it is somewhat complicated.

El Solis

Adventurer
I have the pn 60 w with spot and also like it alot and ditto the complicated software. If you are leaning that way I would wait for this winter when they release the 2 way communicator to allow for text to be sent and received. As of now it is really nice for my wife to know I am safe but I don't know if they are ok. (we just had our first child in June so I am more aware of the need to be in contact should anything happen to them)

schmugboy

Observer
I think the delorme's look like great products and was about to buy one considering the rich feature set. But alas, it is not Mac Compatible, unless I run windows on it. So I've started looking for something different. I may just be in the minority on that need however.

77cruiser77

Observer
I have the delorme pn 60 with spot. It's nice but have not used it much since I am a mac user and refuse to put windows on a mac so I am on the hunt for a cheap netbook that will be dedicated to the GPS. That is my one main complaint.

I never heard about a new model coming out however, perhaps I should sell my GPS off come winter...

SCREEN SIZE!!!!! I have a PN40, its a great GPS try to read it at glance! I have mine mounted with a Ram mount at eye level on the freeway its great offroad bouncing not so much. I was recently on a trail run, running sweep in another rig that was not mine the owner had a GPS app loaded on his Ipad WOW you could read it while bouncing! I would by pass the Delorme for Overland use. They are great on my Mt bike, sea kayak and hiking. Just my nickle.... want to buy my PN40.

postalWagon

Adventurer
I like my plain PN60, it has all the features that I need. It works well in my Jeep even with its steel top. I have not tried to load any of the maps yet, but i plan on just finding the map data on the disk and copying it to a SD card. I'll post more when i try my trick on the disks for the Mac users.

jingram

Adventurer
I have a PN-60 with the Spot device and used it on a 500 mile kayak expedition down the Yukon River this summer. It worked wonderfully and being able to send messages to folks back home from the PN-60 was a very nice feature. The units are very flexible, the access to maps is unbeatable, but they are pretty much for Windows users only. Also, while the software suite is very powerful, it is archaic and takes getting used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94