DeLorme inReach from REI

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks very much for pointing this out. Always nice to be pointed to a bargain.

Since these are "closeouts," does anyone know what's coming next? Traditionally, the best way to get a company to release something really cool has been for me to buy the previous model. :)

reidbailey

Observer
Garmin bought Delorme. They just released a new model under the Garmin name. I got one last week but haven't had much time with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin108

Explorer
Wow, that is an awesome price! I have been waiting on the annual REI member coupon to come out to buy one. This price is even better!

*ETA* I was getting an error on the InReach SE, so I gave them a call. Their inventory is showing 10 units, but for some reason none are available for sale. The rep also told me that the annual coupons are void on this item, so now is definitely the time to order! With tax and free shipping, I paid $241.62 for the InReach Explorer. I don't think I'll have it before I leave for a trip next week, but buying now saved me about $70!

Last edited:

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Just saw a deal on the DeLorme inReach at REI. The basic SE model is marked down to $179 (price is in cart after extra 25% off).

Appreciate you passing this along. Just scored an Explorer for $227.94 shipped! Why buy Craigslist when you can buy new? I'm making the switch from a Spot Gen1 and was pondering the new Garmin models, but I'm all about saving bucks. Thanks!

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Since these are "closeouts," does anyone know what's coming next? Traditionally, the best way to get a company to release something really cool has been for me to buy the previous model. :)

Garmin bought Delorme. They just released a new model under the Garmin name. I got one last week but haven't had much time with it

Differences between old and new models.

• Cost more, by $70 to $100 at retail;
  • Weigh about a half-ounce (15 g) more;
  • Feature a bigger screen, though the size and resolution is hardly on par with even entry-level smartphones; and,
  • Better protect the S.O.S. button.
  • the Explorer+ offers only one benefit: it can be used as a GPS even without an active service subscription

Sounds like a good deal to pick up the "old" ones now.

Last edited:

03rubicon

Adventurer
The only major difference I can see, as referenced above, would be the increased screen size. I pair my Inreach to a tablet so that kinda negates my need for larger screen size unless I would take it mobile with me on my person. Very rare for me, but might be useful for others. Go get them peeps.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
The girl that got lost at the Grand Canyon could have benefitted from one. It's on my list simply so the next time I'm at Big Bend I don't have to drive around for a half hour looking for a cell signal to check in with the Mrs.

Capercrew02

Observer
Danny, I've had my se for over a year now, and it's the #1 best purchase I've made for my expo rig when it comes to peace of mind, communication, and safety.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I use my inReach all the, whether paired to my tablet in my Taco or use for hiking, hunting or snomadooin'

LifeOverland

Adventurer
I use mine for communications while working offshore. Having the unlimited texting plan has made for a much happier marriage!
It's a lot easier than going up to the bridge to make a sat phone call.

I've had some issues with mine, the first one I had took a 3-4ft fall to the deck and stopped operating. Returned it to West Marine for an exchange.
The software on the unit leaves a bit to be desired don't plan on using it for texting! And it's a little buggy.
I find the connection between the SE and my iPhone needs to be reset often to send/receive messages.
Other than that it's been well worth the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke