Deflating tires to level overland camper?

Chuckles!

Observer
Searched the 'net, but all results centered on airing down tires for traction purposes.

In the case of a medium/large overland camper with 10" of tire sidewall and a big on-board air system, is it a viable option to air down corners to get the camper level at the campsite? Or will the low tires be squishy and allow the camper to wiggle too much? Any possible damage to the tire from static deformation overnight?

Thanks!

blacklbzbeauty

I would think it is a viable option. Not sure it is the best option. Depends on individual circumstances. I regularly have my tires perched on rocks overnight at low pressures with no adverse effects to this point. Have not noticed any excessive movement or squishiness.

Joe917

Explorer
It is far quicker to throw a block on the ground and drive one or two wheels on to lift them than deflate then re-inflate. You know our truck, it does not wiggle tires inflated or not. With a couple of level bubbles in the cab you can very quickly estimate how many blocks and under which wheels.

You are sensitive enough to angles so that 2” = ~2 degrees (2”/66” track width = 0.03 radian = 1.71 degrees) makes a big worthwhile difference?
I carry some 4” wooden blocks and use crawler gears to get on top if it’s an issue.
A normal 32” tire will deflate at most ~1.5” between road pressure and 25% of that.

billiebob

Question, thinking of others who may be camped nearby, how silent is your air compressor compared to quiet stillness of a mountain or desert morning.

Chuckles!

Observer
All valid points, appreciated. More of a thought experiment as I was looking at airbag suspensions and their leveling capabilities, and realizing that every rig is rolling on 4 airbags already (the tires).

Looks like GoTreads are a good double-duty solution for traction mats + leveling blocks.

Good call, billiebob. Reinflation wouldn't occur til the engine is cranked to warm up. So lots of other noise by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior