Adventurer
In the first post

"2004 Ford F750
5.9 Cummins Diesel
Allison 2000 transmission
BF Spicer Axels
38k miles"

Ah! I'm blind!

I tow for a living and we have an 650 that is similar except it has the Ford's own automatic that makes it mostly powered by the Turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Yes, an Allison 2000. I honestly couldn't believe the harmogengy of the power train. I laughed at the fact it's a ford chasis, a mostly dodge known engine, and the Allison trans. I figured I had a dodge, ford and chevy all wrapped in one package.

I wasn't sold on a ford with a 6.0. The duramax I don't know too well, and I had plan to swap a 5.9 into my cucv before I found this truck.

I also found a video of my truck when it was used by the fire department in Texas. It was a quick walkaround.

Guess it was a brush truck for a volunteer fire department that had their own station burned down while they were at a party. Think this truck and two others were at the party for show so they were spared.

Chorky

Observer
Have you checked your fully loaded weight at the scales? Just wondering the viability of that big of vehicle on F.S. roads where most bridges (in my area anyway) seem to have a 12 ton limit (mostly built for fire service access).

Recently I have considered a F700 - but with off road travels weight is a big downfall

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Have you checked your fully loaded weight at the scales? Just wondering the viability of that big of vehicle on F.S. roads where most bridges (in my area anyway) seem to have a 12 ton limit (mostly built for fire service access).

Recently I have considered a F700 - but with off road travels weight is a big downfall

Probably less than 12 tons. The Forest Service run a lot of engines that are medium duty crew cab 4x4's just like this except they have 500-1000 gallons of water, 4+ guys in the cab, and the engine body with pumps and piping.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
I do plan on weighing it once I have a bit more time. Truck is rated at 30k lbs. my guess is closer to 16 to 20 when I am finished fully loaded. Just curious I am seein newer jeep wranglers that look like they weigh 30k with all the bumpers and dodads. My CUCV sold today so a bit of mixed things going on. Glad I got one more pic of the two together.

IMG_0246.JPG

Ok so a bit of reality needs to come into my dream.

• This truck is big
  • Will I ever truely wheel this. No way
  • The rear axel literarly has 2 inches before it would hit the bump stop

But really life is way too short and something deep inside me said I would regret not building this way past the point when I might be too old crippled and senile to ever drive it anymore.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
But really life is way too short and something deep inside me said I would regret not building this way past the point when I might be too old crippled and senile to ever drive it anymore.

This is why an LMTV build keeps nagging at me, odds are it'll be slow, loud, too big for any real wheeling or trails, and altogether annoying and cumbersome, but something makes me want to do it regardless, lol.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I do plan on weighing it once I have a bit more time. Truck is rated at 30k lbs. my guess is closer to 16 to 20 when I am finished fully loaded. Just curious I am seein newer jeep wranglers that look like they weigh 30k with all the bumpers and dodads. My CUCV sold today so a bit of mixed things going on. Glad I got one more pic of the two together.

View attachment 416507

Ok so a bit of reality needs to come into my dream.

• This truck is big
  • Will I ever truely wheel this. No way
  • The rear axel literarly has 2 inches before it would hit the bump stop

I would wheel that thing!

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Lol, actually I already wheeled her on the maiden voyage climbing to the top of Round Butte near Madras, OR for the eclipse. Best part it was pitch black. We took a wrong turn and had to turn around on the fire road. Switched it 4wd climbed up the embankment and we were turned around.

Oh yeah that reminds me. This is the first truck I have owned that the transfer case is air operated for 4wd operation. Nothing sounds cooler than flipping a switch and hearing a positive engagement.

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
This is why an LMTV build keeps nagging at me, odds are it'll be slow, loud, too big for any real wheeling or trails, and altogether annoying and cumbersome, but something makes me want to do it regardless, lol.

Build it. There is a show on Netflix "everyday dirt" season 1 episode 10 is about th lmtv.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Lol, actually I already wheeled her on the maiden voyage climbing to the top of Round Butte near Madras, OR for the eclipse. Best part it was pitch black. We took a wrong turn and had to turn around on the fire road. Switched it 4wd climbed up the embankment and we were turned around.

Oh yeah that reminds me. This is the first truck I have owned that the transfer case is air operated for 4wd operation. Nothing sounds cooler than flipping a switch and hearing a positive engagement.

Ha good work! I know the wrong turn you speak of...even the USFS rigs have to climb out that way.

Does your F750 have a PTO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUCV GRV

KJ6ZWQ
Yes, A few updates.

Newer lance camper 1191 with a side entry.
Installed the Kelderman Med duty air suspension kit. I found even with the weight it could have better road manners when traveling I5
Added 800 watts of solar to a 24 volt victron invertor charger. I can actually run my AC off the invertor now. Not indefinitely but at least an hour or so but to be honest the lance 1191 is so well insulated I find myself running the heater more than needing to cool it down.
Contemplating going super singles but like having the redundancy of dualies in the rear.
Added additional 32 gallons of fresh water for a portable swamp cooler too.

Ooohhh yrah also forgot I got my licese plates too. After a long night of enjoying some refreshing beverages we came up with this

GLTRSHT according to DMV it means Global Trashed but I will let you sound it out ;D

The transfer case looks to have a spot for it but not used atm. I have been thinking about adding a pto compressor or a york compressor. I do find airing down to make camping at Pismo much easier but airing back up is not ideal. I currently have an industrial style viair for the air bags and transfer case but it is no where near close enough to air up to 90-110psi and then multiply by 6 and you have almost 3 hours to air all back up. even a good gas station compressor takes awhile.

I also installed a Arb elements cooler on a sliding system that tucked under one of the sides under the camper but new camper forced me to remove due to space issues.

As far as MPG it is low teens single digits but the 50k I saved by not buying a new luxury truck lets me put a lot of fuel in .

I also just got done converting my Baja bug into an all electric. The system is flexible enough to allow dynamic regeneration. The plan is to wire the bug as a tow vehicle with the ability to charge as it is towed behind the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles