Defender Transfer Case Upgrades?

At 207k miles, the Transfer Case on my 1997 NAS Defender 90 (A/T) has started leaking (a lot). Assuming that it will need to be sent out for a well deserved overhaul, are there any mods that I should be looking for that would improve reliability and robustness (I do NOT plan any gear ratio changes)?

jethro5

At 207k miles, the Transfer Case on my 1997 NAS Defender 90 (A/T) has started leaking (a lot). Assuming that it will need to be sent out for a well deserved overhaul, are there any mods that I should be looking for that would improve reliability and robustness (I do NOT plan any gear ratio changes)?

Check out Ashcroft doom the UK, they offer some mods to stiffen but if you are just using for moderate off-road and on road you buy their seal kit.

Biggest part is removing it to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mspeters

My ‘97 D1 sprung a really bad leak from the forward end of the intermediate shaft.

If it’s a keeper; do consider a few upgrades via Ashcroft. (I would have done both, but instead sold the rig after 20 years.)

1. Steel bushings for the intermediate shaft. The aluminum cases can become ever so slightly ovalized and difficult to seal even with new o-rings.

2. Torque biased center diff; somewhat akin to a torsen or truetrac. It eliminates the stock diff & planentary design and the potential gear damage when the front vs. rear diff spins at vastly different speeds (blacktop vs snow/ice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles