Defender test mule spotted

99Discovery

Adventurer
And our worst fears are confirmed. I'm trying to figure out the market for a super short wheelbase Disco 5?

I can't see real adventurers buying this except a few brand loyalists, and why would the luxury buyers take this over a disco sport or evoque (small side) or a rangie sport or velar on the longer side??

I personally can't see myself in any McGovern concoted Rover. With Jeep knocking the JL out of the park and Toyota doing awesome things with the 5th gen 4-runner, I foresee a future where my disco 2 and L322 are nothing but memories of a once proud brand that sponsored the camel trophy.

Ah well, it's obvious I was never the target audience for the future direction of Rover, so I probably shouldn't be upset and just move on..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2017/12/01/land-rover-defender-swb-spy-shots/

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
lrdefender-m01-kgp-ed-copy-1.jpg

This looks like a really really really bad photoshop chop... they seem to have forgotten to chop out the rear door and smooth out the top of the window frame :coffeedrink:

Although, that wheel base is looking mighty similar....

lrdefender-m09-kgp-ed-copy-1.jpg

lr_defender_3dr_mt_aav2_0_0_0.jpg

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
with that rear door it looks like they'd have been better off going with the FJ style door setup- but then again we're taking small suicide doors off of everything lately

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Several times a year multiple car companies conduct their high altitude and winter testing in the Rockies. I frequently see all brands convoying through our little town a den stopping for coffee or something to eat. This summer I had an opportunity to chat with a group of Rover drivers in a group of wrapped cars. Not being a Rover expert, but love the Defenders, I asked the lead driver when they'll bring back the D to the US. He proceeded to point to one of the wrapped vehicles and said that's the with the Defender chassis, drivetrain and engine. Cool.

I'm still holding out hope. The chopped up wrapped paint is just that, a mule to run the chassis and drivetrain. We know its not going to be a live axle and will stick to the traditions of the D3 and newer LR/RR four way IFS systems. If they put lockers all around and diesel and stick to what we think may be the body design (see Detour's bottom pic) which looks like the short wheelbase 90 model or whatever they will call it, I think there is hope for a great rig in the end.

No telling what the interior will hold. Hopefully it is not jammed with luxury and plush and holds to a somewhat utility type (need I say Jeep/Forerunner) style then I think its going to be a package worth looking at.

All and all, if it comes out looking like the Green picture below with a stretch version (5 door/3 door 110 type) and it's affordable and has range, then I would be more than willing to give it a shot at holding the LR reputation. Not the Defender name persay, but the LR name for sure as I think it will be extrememly capable and let's hope reliable.

I'd also like to add: From the looks of it, the rotors are much smaller all around on both vehicles which gives hope for a smaller wheel and bigger rubber. It could just be that the final design will migrate more towards what we see in Detour-GP's post and to me, well that's promising.

The final sell will be if it is priced for the blue collar citizen! If its not affordable, then regardless of performance, most of us will never own one and most Defenders will likely not see much more than the mall parking lot.

Last edited:

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Several times a year multiple car companies conduct their high altitude and winter testing in the Rockies. I frequently see all brands convoying through our little town a den stopping for coffee or something to eat. This summer I had an opportunity to chat with a group of Rover drivers in a group of wrapped cars. Not being a Rover expert, but love the Defenders, I asked the lead driver when they'll bring back the D to the US. He proceeded to point to one of the wrapped vehicles and said that's the with the Defender chassis, drivetrain and engine. Cool.

#jealous

I'm still holding out hope. The chopped up wrapped paint is just that, a mule to run the chassis and drivetrain. We know its not going to be a live axle and will stick to the traditions of the D3 and newer LR/RR four way IFS systems. If they put lockers all around and diesel and stick to what we think may be the body design (see Detour's bottom pic) which looks like the short wheelbase 90 model or whatever they will call it, I think there is hope for a great rig in the end.

No telling what the interior will hold. Hopefully it is not jammed with luxury and plush and holds to a somewhat utility type (need I say Jeep/Forerunner) style then I think its going to be a package worth looking at.

All and all, if it comes out looking like the Green picture below with a stretch version (5 door/3 door 110 type) and it's affordable and has range, then I would be more than willing to give it a shot at holding the LR reputation. Not the Defender name persay, but the LR name for sure as I think it will be extrememly capable and let's hope reliable.

I'd also like to add: From the looks of it, the rotors are much smaller all around on both vehicles which gives hope for a smaller wheel and bigger rubber. It could just be that the final design will migrate more towards what we see in Detour-GP's post and to me, well that's promising.

The final sell will be if it is priced for the blue collar citizen! If its not affordable, then regardless of performance, most of us will never own one and most Defenders will likely not see much more than the mall parking lot.

I have to agree here, it will be like every previous model. When the Disco 3 came out, everyone said its a softie, will never last off road yadda yadda, then the Disco 4 came out and the naysayers said the same, now the Disco 5 is out and the naysayers are at it again.
Personally, thats why I am holding back on the Disco 5 - I want to see this all new Defender :)

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
#jealous

I have to agree here, it will be like every previous model. When the Disco 3 came out, everyone said its a softie, will never last off road yadda yadda, then the Disco 4 came out and the naysayers said the same, now the Disco 5 is out and the naysayers are at it again.
Personally, thats why I am holding back on the Disco 5 - I want to see this all new Defender :)

I was one of the first in our Land Rover club to buy a used LR3 - once I had one other guys started getting them and now there are at least five other LR3's and LR4's in our group. I plan on buying a new Defender when they come out but also went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Discovery 5 diesel to drive or two years until the Defender is available. I figure I can trade it in then without losing too much in depreciation and since the Defender is supposed to be less costly than the Discovery it shouldn't cost me much to drive a new car for two years and swap it out on what I really want. I'm liking the new Discovery - around 21 mpg around town and 27 mpg on the highway and its just getting broken in. Its a nice comfortable quiet road car - great for long trips with a fuel range of over 500 miles per tank. The new 2019 Defender and Discovery should have the Ingenium in line six cylinder diesel which will have more horsepower and torque than the V-6 (255 HP, 440 ft-lb). I've heard 300 HP and 500 ft-lb as a number for the Ingenium and that the new SVX version of the D5 has strengthened front suspension and larger capacity airbags which are prototype Defender parts.

Attachments

• D5.jpg
    D5.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 25

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
I was one of the first in our Land Rover club to buy a used LR3 - once I had one other guys started getting them and now there are at least five other LR3's and LR4's in our group. I plan on buying a new Defender when they come out but also went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Discovery 5 diesel to drive or two years until the Defender is available. I figure I can trade it in then without losing too much in depreciation and since the Defender is supposed to be less costly than the Discovery it shouldn't cost me much to drive a new car for two years and swap it out on what I really want. I'm liking the new Discovery - around 21 mpg around town and 27 mpg on the highway and its just getting broken in. Its a nice comfortable quiet road car - great for long trips with a fuel range of over 500 miles per tank. The new 2019 Defender and Discovery should have the Ingenium in line six cylinder diesel which will have more horsepower and torque than the V-6 (255 HP, 440 ft-lb). I've heard 300 HP and 500 ft-lb as a number for the Ingenium and that the new SVX version of the D5 has strengthened front suspension and larger capacity airbags which are prototype Defender parts.

I LOVED my Disco 3, Love my D4 even more... The D5 is gorgeous but has lost its identity as the perfect blend between a ruged offroader that blends in the city too - the D5 is very capable and beautiful but leans more towards the city slicker.

D1 - 90% offroad, 10% city
D2 - 80% offroad, 20% city
D3 - 65% offroad, 35% city
D4 - 50% offroad, 50% city
D5 - 35% offroad, 65% city

My only concern with the Ingenium in line six cylinder diesel engine is that they are already failing / giving problems with the Discovery Sport model in lower mileage as has been discussed on other forums.

I bought a Audi A1 S-Line, 185hp 1.4TFSI pocket rocket that runs 0 - 100km/h in 6 seconds but with that tiny engine producing such power its now starting to give problem at 92,000km... so those small engines putting out high power are fragile me thinks...

Did I just open another can of worms? :sombrero:

Having said the above, with a bit of work, a few tweaks and some stickers the D5 looks right at home off the beaten track.

holgate-discovery.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior