Defender Owner Gift Advice

Whaler

Adventurer
So I've got a buddy living in London. He's an expat planning to return to the States with his family at the end of 2017. He recently bought a 1993 Defender 110 with 80k that was used by the Staffordshire Emergency Services Humanitarian Aid Association , primarily during the Bosnian conflict. It's a nice truck. 200tdi diesel, LHD, all original. He's installing a new Bilstein suspension, mobilestoragesystems.net, low profile winch bumper w/ arb zeon, new Bosch starter, etc.

IMG_2508.JPG

Even though he's moving his family back in late 2017, the truck will stay in England until 2018 when it's legal for him to import it to the States. Before it comes home, he invited me and another guy to join him on an overland Surf trip through Scotland, in the Defender. We're going in November of '17 when the swell starts to pick up for the winter. Scotland has surprisingly good surfing in the fall/winter and while the water is cold, its not a problem in heavy neoprene. I'm already salivating.

The two of us coming from the States want to bring a Defender-specific gift for the guy who's hosting us. Anyone have good ideas? We could buy or make something. I'm a good woodworker and my other buddy can work leather, so a custom-built item is feasible and might have a little more sentiment to it. I'd like to avoid anything that hinges on personal preference; so for instance I wouldn't want to bring him a snorkel kit because he might not be a snorkel guy, etc. Right now, an ax rack might be the front-running idea.

Any Defender folks have any small items/mods that they love and might make a good gift? Thanks for any consideration and ideas.

And yes, people do surf in Scotland:

Gren_T

Adventurer
Thats a great gesture, wood and leather are very tactile materials, how about making some seat adjuster handles - gear & difflock knobs or hand brake sleeve. and there are also heater/vent knobs.

These are often items upgraded to alloy as they often ware out or just look crap, you could easily get a sample item to copy, and every time it got used It would be a reminder of your visit.
The sun visors are ripe for someone to do something different with as there are no decent alternatives except to buy the LR OEM leather and they are spendy.!

regards all
Gren

Whaler

Adventurer
Thanks Paul K and Gren_T! I learned a little from each of your suggestions. Custom wood/leather gear and diff lock knobs are a great idea. Easy to make and I looked at the alloy versions on Rovers North for inspiration.

Any others?

D90Rovin

Observer
Gift Idea

Since your buddy works with leather, perhaps you guys can come up with a custom designed Passport holder? Graeme + family made a wonderful version with their 2nd book purchase which I think is just excellent.

Also, I'm a big fan of the small placque key chains. I looked forever for the right key chain and with the custom etching avail you guys could engrave something to commemorate your surf trip

image.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
X2 on the plaque keychains. I got one and got a few for my friends. Well received and super cool.

Whaler

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I like the plaque idea too. Where does one get the plaque key-chains? I found a thread about them on DefenderSource. Is that right?

Heading Out

Adventurer
What about a nice leather fold for maps or vehicle docs. and a wooden box to store it and some navigation aids or whatnot inside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94